Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: What does death feel like?  (Read 7793 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: What does death feel like?
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2010, 09:09:00 am »

Yes, but you don't die at the end of a roller coaster. There's quite a difference.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2010, 01:26:10 pm »

I've never had a near-death experience so I cannot tell you, but I can tell you I have a vivid pre-life memory. I can describe in details the front of the building where my parents got married, despise the fact I've never been there (physically) not even when a baby, never heard anyone talking about it, and nobody has pictures of it. I described it to my mother when I was around 6 to 8 yo and I still remember it. I remember the street, the details on the windows, ground, door, the steps and so on. It was completely devoid of people and I remember being there with someone who's completely blurry in my memory, the visual memory is also from a higher angle, around 7' above the ground which is a bit higher than my current height.

I have some theories for that. It was a strange coincidence (which I doubt due to the amount of precise details, but I don't discard it). It could be some weird psychic event, like I captured the image from someone else. Someone described it when I was a baby and I created it in my head (my parents don't remember anyone even talking about it after I was born, specially since we moved right after that and there was no contact with anyone who had been there for years). There's perhaps a bit of genetic memory somehow (which I doubt more than the others), or there's more to being than just being alive.

Personally, I wouldn't discard any of the possibilities. But it's my memory and I lean towards it being a valid memory.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2010, 04:10:17 pm »

I've never had a near-death experience so I cannot tell you, but I can tell you I have a vivid pre-life memory. I can describe in details the front of the building where my parents got married, despise the fact I've never been there (physically) not even when a baby, never heard anyone talking about it, and nobody has pictures of it. I described it to my mother when I was around 6 to 8 yo and I still remember it. I remember the street, the details on the windows, ground, door, the steps and so on. It was completely devoid of people and I remember being there with someone who's completely blurry in my memory, the visual memory is also from a higher angle, around 7' above the ground which is a bit higher than my current height.

I have some theories for that. It was a strange coincidence (which I doubt due to the amount of precise details, but I don't discard it). It could be some weird psychic event, like I captured the image from someone else. Someone described it when I was a baby and I created it in my head (my parents don't remember anyone even talking about it after I was born, specially since we moved right after that and there was no contact with anyone who had been there for years). There's perhaps a bit of genetic memory somehow (which I doubt more than the others), or there's more to being than just being alive.

Personally, I wouldn't discard any of the possibilities. But it's my memory and I lean towards it being a valid memory.
I recall there being an experiment where, after thousands of trials, a tapeworm was trained to go left at an intersection to get food rather than right to get an electric shock. You probably wonder what that has to do with this. Well, after they trained this tapeworm, they ground it up and fed it to another tapeworm. And, sure enough, that tapeworm exibited the same training without having been trained by the researchers. This suggests that memory exists physically, and that you very well could have gotten a genetic copy of your mother's memory about the building in question.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2010, 05:59:02 pm »

I don't discard that possibility. I know that people who have transplanted organs also can end up with memories and desires from the other person.

There are studies on people who posses memories from people that lived before them where their families have never had any contact with each other. More frequently in India, since it's part of their culture/religion, but there are western studies as well.

Same goes with people that can pick images and feelings from other people even while rooms apart.

The memory I pointed out isn't the only one, it just happens to be the one I managed to verify. There are others I want to check out someday. Hopefully get a better artist than me to draw them down so I can compare with actual places.

Not to say that it is the case, if there's one thing I've learned from life and doing physics in college is to never discard any theory and that a fact doesn't always means it's the truth in a more traditional philosophical sense of the world, i.e. an adequation of things and the mind.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2010, 06:11:05 pm »

This is some pretty damn far out stuff right here.  But that's all anyone should expect from a thread like this!  I'm glad I'm not the only person who has a...enhanced view of reality, around here.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2010, 06:30:59 pm »

It's better to be scientific than rely on religious belief, in my opinion.

But as for the out-of-body-experience and brain death:

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/evidence01.html

There are also experiments on projection, but the result of those vary wildly. I can probably find links to the serious studies I once read if I try hard. The one I remember had people who never claimed to be able to project to lay down in a room while a certain object was placed in another. They were taught how to 'project' or induce an out of body experience to visit the other room and later describe and draw the object.

If these are true or not, I don't know. But I'm rather glad some people take serious stances to study them rather than being blindly skeptic to the point of belief and discard them. Same goes to blindly believing in it.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2010, 07:06:52 pm »

You gotta be careful with science.  It's one thing to run a scientific study and say "We got a p-value of 0.01 on this methodology".  But it's another thing entirely to say "We think this is why it works.  We're going to test the specifics and try to prove that it works that way."  After all, there've been thousands of people trying to prove psychic phenomena, and if just a few of them happen to get lucky...

I liken psychic experiments to homeopathy, and that's a very large barrel of monkeys right there my friend.  Chemistry can prove very easily that homeopathy doesn't work.  But, neuroscience + placebo effect can sometimes give very good results, especially on an unsufficiently rigorous experiment (IE, single-blind).  I have no idea how the psychic experiments get what they do, but it still raises a lot of doubt.  I mean...they're unfalsifiable.  That takes them out of the realm of science, for the most part--until some other neuroscientific field can approach the problem from a different angle.  Any science that directly involves humans is annoying as hell.

On the other hand, religion is very good at approaching the problem from another angle.  If you accept that your approach isn't scientific, you can discover things that others might miss.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2010, 08:19:56 pm »

Death feels like defeat. As you lie there feeling the last of your life draining away you will be assailed by regrets of all the things you have not done with your life. Then you notice there is no white tunnel and realize you wasted 10% of all money you ever earned hoping to buy your way into heaven. Then the cold sets in and you mumble "rosebud..."
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2010, 08:56:27 pm »

Death feels like defeat. As you lie there feeling the last of your life draining away you will be assailed by regrets of all the things you have not done with your life. Then you notice there is no white tunnel and realize you wasted 10% of all money you ever earned hoping to buy your way into heaven. Then the cold sets in and you mumble "rosebud..."
Have you ever actually been declared clinically dead?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2010, 09:16:50 pm »

He doesn't have to be dead to know about the sled.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2010, 09:44:12 pm »

The sled?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2010, 09:46:01 pm »

I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2010, 05:01:29 pm »

The sled?
It's a movie reference.
Aw... you just had to go and kill the awesome mental image in my head of the grim reaper teaming up with Santa on his off-days to take people to the underworld...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2010, 05:12:18 pm »

Aaaaand now I'm picturing Charon and Anubis out for a romantic starlit night in a rowboat out in the middle of a lake.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2010, 11:58:35 am »

I recall there being an experiment where, after thousands of trials, a tapeworm was trained to go left at an intersection to get food rather than right to get an electric shock. You probably wonder what that has to do with this. Well, after they trained this tapeworm, they ground it up and fed it to another tapeworm. And, sure enough, that tapeworm exibited the same training without having been trained by the researchers. This suggests that memory exists physically, and that you very well could have gotten a genetic copy of your mother's memory about the building in question.

Sauce? Source?
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7