Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: What does death feel like?  (Read 7804 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What does death feel like?
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2010, 05:57:20 pm »

I feel like saying something that on the surface is simply witty and looks a little like trolling, but becomes profoundly deep and insightful as you examine it, potentially spawning a religion that revolutionizes spirituality. I won't though because it would probably be ignored in favor of animu references.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2010, 06:05:20 pm »

Say it anyway.
Also, I still say when you die you are lectured by an angry man in a white robe with two black blurs behind him.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2010, 07:02:24 pm »

Say it anyway.
Also, I still say when you die you are lectured by an angry man in a white robe with two black blurs behind him.
If you're being for real, what was he lecturing you on? And was it the kind of lecture that was an angry lecture or a teaching?

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2010, 07:06:41 pm »

I wasn't paying attention, I think it was a lecture about the fact I tend to blasphem alot, calling myself god(and jesus) is just the most common of these.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2010, 08:15:10 pm »

HOW TO FIND OUT- OBTAIN FIRE ARM. POINT AT BRAIN. PULL TRIGGER.
Hello Hunam

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2010, 08:29:45 pm »

HOW TO FIND OUT- OBTAIN FIRE ARM. POINT AT BRAIN. PULL TRIGGER.
People have lived a bullet, IN THE BRAIN!
with setbacks though...
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Ø

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2010, 12:10:52 am »

Anyway, there's a hypothesis that when your brain starts to shut down the pineal gland releases a huge amount of dimethyltryptamine, a psychedelic that is normally only produced in very small quantities for reasons unknown.
Why hasn't brain stimulation research focused on this? If you could target this, you could retire a billionaire cult leader.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2010, 01:35:25 pm »

I used to be obsessed by this when I was little. I would sit in my bed, and think about how nothing felt. Then I would have fucked up dreams about witches on rollercoasters and quantum mailing tubes for your mind where (if I recall correctly) if you think about a certain number, you cease to exist, along with your destination. You had to think about the opposite number to get to your destination safely.

I think coming to the conclusion early on that everything is already simulated saved me from schizophrenia, strangely.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2010, 02:29:06 pm »

I'm dead but dreaming.  It's basically like being alive but I can't do anything except post on forums and send dreams to bend the dreamers to my will.
You better be dreaming, we wouldn't want you waking up and bringing madness to this world.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2010, 10:09:15 pm »

If it's anything like being put out for a surgery, it's like the entire world is pulled away from you. Then total unthinking colorlessness. No sensation, no thoughts, nothing. Not even the feeling of time passing.

The second time there wasn't even the sensation of being pulled away. Just instant nothingness.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2010, 10:07:50 pm »

Shitty and painful and oh yeah, terrifying--when it hits you by surprise, that feeling of "what the hell is going on" sticks with you until consciousness is gone.  Or at least, that's the word from a friend who was hit by a drunk driver and was clinically dead for a while.  Her mother was clinically dead twice in that accident!  Still around, too.

It's quite an unusual concept though, if you think about it. Not having any sense of time, not even there being time.
I did have a pretty sweet dream like that though.  Dying in a dream can be great if your brain manages to bypass that 'terror' reaction.  If it's fast enough, you get pushed right on past and your brain doesn't know how to process it anymore, it's kind of like falling out of the bottom of a level in an FPS.  You can feel eons and eons pass, and it's strangely relaxing.  If that's what it's like then hell, I'm not afraid.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2010, 07:44:01 am »

I know a few people who went near death, badly hospitalized, unconscious. Both of them describe it sort of like dreaming. One of them said it was like going to a light, then being shooed away, but it's probably a dream too.

If you want to go all religious with it, either it really hurts or it feels like a night of sleep.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2010, 04:03:59 pm »

Some guy had his nose cut off, so he replaced it with a gold one.  If I were to die I would replace myself with a gold one.

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2010, 01:46:18 pm »

Anyway, there's a hypothesis that when your brain starts to shut down the pineal gland releases a huge amount of dimethyltryptamine, a psychedelic that is normally only produced in very small quantities for reasons unknown.
Why hasn't brain stimulation research focused on this? If you could target this, you could retire a billionaire cult leader.

"DMT The Spirit Molecule" By Rick Strassman approaches the subject nicely.  Tests involving DMT have been done on people in controlled circumstances, and they tend to have experiences which match those of people who have nearly died.  The feeling of being somewhere else, with people or beings you have never encountered before and such.

I haven't read the book, but a close friend of mine has.  He described some of it to me. 

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2010, 03:16:45 pm »

Shitty and painful and oh yeah, terrifying--when it hits you by surprise, that feeling of "what the hell is going on" sticks with you until consciousness is gone.  Or at least, that's the word from a friend who was hit by a drunk driver and was clinically dead for a while.  Her mother was clinically dead twice in that accident!  Still around, too.

Pet peeve - you can't be clinically dead and live to tell about it afterwards. Their heart may have stopped for an extended period, their pulse may have been lost, they may have stopped breathing - but that still didn't make them dead because it was only temporary and they survived it. If they had really been declared dead once, bam, they would have stopped attempts to revive them. Game over. Clinical death - actual death - is brain death, and you're not coming back from that.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7