Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Vengeful Mafia 2 - Over - Mafia ULTRASUPERWIN! Toaster & Zathras ROXORZZ!!  (Read 22197 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Vengeful Mafia 2 - Started - Day 1
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2010, 08:41:02 pm »

Completely untrue. I don't want won fucking up again like they did before. That situation is unwinnable if both members of it are town. If you argue it out, one of you gets lynched, then vengekills the other who is town, thus losing, and if you step down, you get called scum for being willing to back down from your arguement, and get lynched, at which point you venge on the other arguer.

You're complaining about my grammar after dropping this line?  You're throwing out red herrings, and my suspicion of you grows.

Do you have anything solid on Pandar?  If you're voting him over someone you say is scummy, you must have a good reason.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2010, 08:47:46 pm »

Sorry, forgot about these.

That would be BMXVI & VM1, right? What did you learn from these? Which one did you like better & why? I also note you're trying to host your own game; what makes for good game balance, in your opinion?

Those are the games.
I think I learned that you really have to think of all the possibilites.
I would have to say that I liked VM1 better, since it actually ended and in the end it was a surprise.
Good game balance would probably be so that one side can't somehow win in 1 or days.

DungeonEscape
Will you make it out alive?

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2010, 08:48:26 pm »

Breadbocks: What do you think would be the optimal way to catch scum in this game?
Grr... Grammar errors aside, I think the best way to scumhunt would be rather unobtrusively, obviously. If you find that useless/unspecific, we need to poke hard at any possible scumtells, and check the reaction.
Hmmm... You seem oddly touchy about grammar today, something that hasn't really bothered you before. Also, my parser checks fine on my statement. Where is this grammar error of which you speak? My parser also passes Toaster's line, so I assume the error is on your end of the line. Please elaborate.
Interesting coincidence actually. Spade was talking in past tense, so there is that, but you and toaster?

Breadbocks: What do you think would be the optimal way to catch scum in this game?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie thinks you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2010, 09:05:16 pm »

Grr... Grammar errors aside, I think the best way to scumhunt would be rather unobtrusively, obviously. If you find that useless/unspecific, we need to poke hard at any possible scumtells, and check the reaction.
Hmmm... You seem oddly touchy about grammar today, something that hasn't really bothered you before. Also, my parser checks fine on my statement. Where is this grammar error of which you speak? My parser also passes Toaster's line, so I assume the error is on your end of the line. Please elaborate.
Interesting coincidence actually. Spade was talking in past tense, so there is that, but you and toaster?

¿?

Leaving Spade's aside ("I have never played" is not past tense, it's perfect-present; past would be "I never played"), how does my sentence fail grammar?
"What do you think would be the optimal way to catch scum in this game?" If the hyperbaton confuses you, I can phrase it thus: "What would be the optimal way, in your opinion?" Or are you bitching about the missing commas in the subordinate clause? Puh-leeeze. Those are optional in that case.

To the rest: yeah, yeah, it's the mafia board, not the grammar board, but it's good to get people to talk, and this is coming awfully close to telling us something fishy about breadbocks' thinking process this game.

Is the capital B what bothers you? I generally refer to you as "breadbocks" (or "breadbox"), in lowercase, as that's your username, but sometimes my "capital at the start of a sentence" sense takes over. It's not my grammar error that you fail to capitalise your own proper noun.

If I've missed the point, please elaborate again. I'm genuinely curious.

But anyway.... I'll get to Spade's answers in a second.
My soul has been freed by the King of the Mafia.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2010, 09:14:13 pm »

No, it was the "B". My name isn't a proper noun, in fact, it is more of the polar opposite, an "improper" noun, which is NEVER capitalized.

Anyways, I believe I got the terms wrong. (Looks over notes taken on Friday about verb tenses.) Yup. I meant he was typing in present tense, when what he needed (In my opinion) was Present Perfect. God English is a bitch.

In other news: You will have cleared up my confusion over what I did wrong in answering how to hunt scum. (Future Perfect tense rocks.)

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2010, 09:16:09 pm »

Sorry, forgot about these.
I doubt you forgot them, they were only a couple of posts before, and clearly part of our ongoing conversation. You overlooked them, yes, but on purpose?

That would be BMXVI & VM1, right? What did you learn from these? Which one did you like better & why? I also note you're trying to host your own game; what makes for good game balance, in your opinion?

Those are the games.
I think I learned that you really have to think of all the possibilites.
I would have to say that I liked VM1 better, since it actually ended and in the end it was a surprise.
Good game balance would probably be so that one side can't somehow win in 1 or days.

You are being unusually (judging from your other games) laconic. If you can't tell, I'm trying to get to know you, asking you to talk and expound, not precisely because I'm invested on which game you liked better, but because we have not played before and I'd like to learn your style. Your extremely succinct answers are, while technically sufficient, not really helpful, and hint to me that you are trying to hide something. Are you?

Can you elaborate on the balance question? Do you think this setup is unbalanced, since a team can clearly win on day one? How would you ensure balance in a larger game, or on one with more than two factions?

Or are you going to be like Org and answer "Eh"?

Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2010, 09:28:35 pm »

No, not on purpose.
Before I had made the reply I was going to respond, but after I answered breadbock's questions, I forgot to add them.

You are being unusually (judging from your other games) laconic. If you can't tell, I'm trying to get to know you, asking you to talk and expound, not precisely because I'm invested on which game you liked better, but because we have not played before and I'd like to learn your style. Your extremely succinct answers are, while technically sufficient, not really helpful, and hint to me that you are trying to hide something. Are you?
I'm not trying to hide something.
I also don't see how my answers are making me seem like I'm hiding something.
I'll add as much to my answers that's needed.

Can you elaborate on the balance question? Do you think this setup is unbalanced, since a team can clearly win on day one? How would you ensure balance in a larger game, or on one with more than two factions?
I'd call it balanced, because the game is made to be won in one or two days. I'll add to what I said before and say that if it's possible for only one of the factions to win in a single day, while the other cannot. (I would exclude roles like jester from that.)
In a game with more than two factions, you would have to add things that balance all of them. If you want examples I'll give them.

DungeonEscape
Will you make it out alive?

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2010, 09:46:06 pm »

No, it was the "B". My name isn't a proper noun, in fact, it is more of the polar opposite, an "improper" noun, which is NEVER capitalized.

Anyways, I believe I got the terms wrong. (Looks over notes taken on Friday about verb tenses.) Yup. I meant he was typing in present tense, when what he needed (In my opinion) was Present Perfect. God English is a bitch.

In other news: You will have cleared up my confusion over what I did wrong in answering how to hunt scum. (Future Perfect tense rocks.)

Oh man. I was wrong earlier when I said "this is coming awfully close to telling us something fishy about breadbocks' thinking process this game." It's not specific to this game, it's the same fish that has always lived in the bread box he calls a head. (I'm very tempted to list reasons why it is a proper noun even if you use it improperly, how I will have done something only based on future actions, not current or present ones, and how Spade did use the perfect present tense, but... what's the point?)

I'd call it balanced, because the game is made to be won in one or two days. I'll add to what I said before and say that if it's possible for only one of the factions to win in a single day, while the other cannot. (I would exclude roles like jester from that.)
In a game with more than two factions, you would have to add things that balance all of them. If you want examples I'll give them.

Sure, why not. Anything to get you to talk. Examples are good. Also good if you can tell me how, as a mod, would you tackle lurkers, or what other challenges would you foresee?

Also, what is your opinion on the possible scumhood of breadbox at this point?

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2010, 10:14:29 pm »

Oh man. I was wrong earlier when I said "this is coming awfully close to telling us something fishy about breadbocks' thinking process this game." It's not specific to this game, it's the same fish that has always lived in the bread box he calls a head. (I'm very tempted to list reasons why it is a proper noun even if you use it improperly, how I will have done something only based on future actions, not current or present ones, and how Spade did use the perfect present tense, but... what's the point?)
I'm not sure if that is a good thing. Probably a bad thing, seeing as how I've come to perma suspect Org because of his wonderful "Eh."'s, and my playing style seems similar to his, except with quite a bit of noobieness. Also, what makes it a proper noun?

And no. He used present tense. The only tenses that would use have are Future Perfect and Present. Present Perfect would be "I am _____", not "I have ____".

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2010, 10:38:27 pm »

I'm not sure if that is a good thing. Probably a bad thing, seeing as how I've come to perma suspect Org because of his wonderful "Eh."'s, and my playing style seems similar to his, except with quite a bit of noobieness. Also, what makes it a proper noun?

And no. He used present tense. The only tenses that would use have are Future Perfect and Present. Present Perfect would be "I am _____", not "I have ____".

Yes, it's a bad thing. In general, but in Mafia as well. Also, yes, your play style is somewhat similar to Org's, except you are somewhat more verbose, and he's actually, you know, good.

The grammar thing is veering off-topic, so this is the last I'll say about it (or we can enclose it in spoiler tags, if you 'd like to continue it): a) It's your (user)name, uniquely yours on this board; that makes it a proper noun; and b) Present: I play; Past: I played; Perfect present: I have played; Progressive present: I am playing; Perfect past: I had played; Perfect future: I will have played. He said "I've [never] played", that is Perfected Non-durational Aspect in Present, or "perfect present".

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2010, 11:03:57 pm »

Ah, but you see, dear Watson, breadbocks is a proper noun by that definition, but the proper form is lowercase.
Quote from: Wikipedia
In English and most other languages that use the Latin alphabet, proper nouns are usually capitalized.

And thus, the English language gets even more damn convoluted. I've yet to learn what a progressive verb is, of perhaps I learned what a progressive verb is, but it's had the perfect tag on it. GAH! I JUST DON'T KNOW ANYMORE.

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2010, 12:14:06 am »

Spade, please don't let the side conversation distract you from my queries:

Sure, why not. Anything to get you to talk. Examples are good. Also good if you can tell me how, as a mod, would you tackle lurkers, or what other challenges would you foresee?
Also, what is your opinion on the possible scumhood of breadbox at this point?

And Pandar, you can't say something like:
I'm instead going to make sure everyone is forced to stay active.
then not show up for over 24hrs, without making people skittish and suspicious of your sincerity. There are at least a couple of questions addressed at you still outstanding.

Also, Mod: votecount, please.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2010, 12:28:16 am »

Well gawd forbid I attend my classes.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2010, 12:30:25 am »

Well gawd forbid I attend my classes.
Achievement Unlocked!
Pandarsenic
Use school as an excuse for lurking.

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2010, 12:34:11 am »

8-D

Hehehe...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8