Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The magic disappearing Pig Tail seeds  (Read 9115 times)

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
The magic disappearing Pig Tail seeds
« on: October 10, 2010, 06:41:03 pm »

I've noticed this happen in more than a few forts: about 2 or 3 years in, suddenly my Dwarves will declare that there are no Pig Tail seeds left.  It's always Pig Tail seeds, never any other type.  They're always set as forbidden for cooking, the farmers aren't having mass failed plantings, and the seeds are getting produced when they brew the Pig Tails into booze.  Where are the seeds disappearing to?  And why is it always, always the Pig Tail seeds?
Sanity is for the weak.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: The magic disappearing Pig Tail seeds
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 06:41:56 pm »

Are you brewing plump helmets as well?

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 06:44:56 pm »

Yes.  I brew all available crops.  Veggies are always forbidden for cooking, as are all seed types.  I don't see why that'd matter, unless somehow Plump Helmets interfere with Pig Tails in a way that's never been explained.
Sanity is for the weak.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 06:49:53 pm »

Edit: nevermind.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 06:54:01 pm »

Well, in my experince, the amount of plump helmets could be affecting whether pig tails are brewed. How about you disable brewing all plants except pig-tails, and then check to see whether brewing leaves behind any seeds?If it does, then they just aren't being picked for brewing.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 06:57:00 pm »

Oh they're definitely getting picked and brewed.  I tracked it once, and here's what happened: one season, there were about 190 Pig Tail seeds.  The next season, bam: no Pig Tail seeds at all.

I'm wondering if there's not an overflow error going on here.  Most seeds cap at 200 on hand (extras get discarded beyond that amount automatically), suggesting the seed counts are stored in a single-byte variable.  If Pig Tails aren't properly capped like other seed types are, they'd reset to 0 as soon as you gathered 256 of them.
Sanity is for the weak.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 07:34:02 pm »

How many pig tails do you have?

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 07:48:40 pm »

I usually grow a 1x3 patch of them, which get regularly harvested and converted into alcohol.  They never get a chance to sit there and rot if that's what you're wondering, nor do I plant anywhere near 190 a season.
Sanity is for the weak.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 07:53:37 pm »

a farm plot generates a "Plant xxx seeds" job for every available tile that can be planted on, if you're getting that a lot it means there are no free, accessible pig tail seeds. Either you actually literally ran out of the seeds, or more likely you are backed up on hauling jobs and you have all your remaining seeds sitting under a workshop that will get moved sooner or later. They'll show up on the stockpile screen but your farmers can't use them until the haulers that claim to be moving them get caught up with what they are actually doing and then move them to a stockpile.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 07:56:12 pm »

When they are stored in your stock pile are there enough bags so they get put into barrels so vermin won't eat them?
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 07:58:25 pm »

a farm plot generates a "Plant xxx seeds" job for every available tile that can be planted on, if you're getting that a lot it means there are no free, accessible pig tail seeds. Either you actually literally ran out of the seeds, or more likely you are backed up on hauling jobs and you have all your remaining seeds sitting under a workshop that will get moved sooner or later. They'll show up on the stockpile screen but your farmers can't use them until the haulers that claim to be moving them get caught up with what they are actually doing and then move them to a stockpile.
or until you manually search out those seeds and cancel the hauler's task with them.  (assuming that is the case.)

If there are truly no longer any pig tail seeds within your fortress, try ordering more then seeing if they still will disappear. 

Also, since when have seeds capped at 200?  ???  I have so many seeds in my fortress that I need to assign some to cooking to dispose of them...I grow each underground crop on their own farm plot when they are in season and have two above ground plots each growing whip vines or sun berries.  This produces much much much more food than I can eat or export.  In the process I get near 2k seeds with many being cooked away.  PH, WV, and SB seeds are each about 400-600...
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 08:14:41 pm »

My forts usually are overloaded with idlers that have all hauling labors enabled (idlers until I give them busywork to do, that is).  I run an efficient fort like that, where more than 25 working Dwarves per 50 living there is excessive.  So there aren't any hauling back-ups causing it.  As I stated, the Pig Tail seeds literally VANISH ENTIRELY from the cooking and Z-Stocks menu after a while, even though there were previously close to 200 of them on hand not one season prior and only one 1x3 plot is getting planted.

I think the byte overflow explanation makes the most sense here.  Since I grow such a small amount (relatively speaking), it'd be more likely to happen since only 12 Pig Tails would be getting processed per full-field harvest at most (more likely 3 to 6).
Sanity is for the weak.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 08:20:54 pm »

Do you have a dwarf who "prefers to consume pig tail seeds"?

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 08:26:18 pm »

Do you have a dwarf who "prefers to consume pig tail seeds"?

Dwarves like this should meet very unfortunate ends very early.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 08:34:28 pm »

My forts usually are overloaded with idlers that have all hauling labors enabled (idlers until I give them busywork to do, that is).  I run an efficient fort like that, where more than 25 working Dwarves per 50 living there is excessive.  So there aren't any hauling back-ups causing it.  As I stated, the Pig Tail seeds literally VANISH ENTIRELY from the cooking and Z-Stocks menu after a while, even though there were previously close to 200 of them on hand not one season prior and only one 1x3 plot is getting planted.

I think the byte overflow explanation makes the most sense here.  Since I grow such a small amount (relatively speaking), it'd be more likely to happen since only 12 Pig Tails would be getting processed per full-field harvest at most (more likely 3 to 6).
If there was a byte overflow you would have to have a absolutely ridiculous amount of seeds, considering the seeds were NEVER capped and still not
Pages: [1] 2 3