Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Naturelabor- a succession game.  (Read 13079 times)

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Who wants to do a succession game?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 04:28:27 pm »

Well... dhokarena56 find a place and STRIKE THE EARTH!

TerrisH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 06:46:00 pm »

standing by for my turn.   

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 10:00:39 pm »

If "dhokarena56" doesn't reply soon then should skip his turn and go to "TerrisH"

Give or take 24 - 48 hours until skip? Just to get started?

TerrisH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 12:06:03 am »

eap.    hmm.   If I end up starting,  any suggestions on what type of site I should look for?   

what I would plan to look for currently:
  Salvage, temperate, flowing water source (large as possible).    no aquifer, as my attempts to breach those have been. spectacularly fun so far.  not very good at it.     my only success todate was via a cliff, and I somehow managed to breach that one from bellow.     volchano if I can find one in the area.

tell me if I should change it or something.

what proffesions should the starting dwarfs have, and what supplies should I take with us?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 08:17:38 am »

Sorry I'm late. Does anybody want to start? I'm currently working on morphology for Proto-Alikan, but I can do the 2nd turn.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

TerrisH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 09:14:55 am »

*sigh*  fine, I'll do it.   I'll start one when I get back from work in about 9 hours.

everyone, tell me what I should look for in a site,  what dwarfs professions do you want me to take, and any specific supplies you want.  I'm taking at least one skilled miner.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 03:02:27 pm »

Its up to you, what ever you do, penetrate through the aquifer before my turn :)

Just embark how you would normally, although im feeling some undead monsters...

TerrisH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 05:50:56 pm »

after many days of following the river, we atlast can go no farther.   a steep waterfall would block our return.  here we shall settle and build a fort in these sinistar lands.
We shall call this place Egomerith, "Naturelabor"

Grantite 1st:
we strike the earth.   
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
a fairly defensible position, the cliff at our back, and the ponds blocking most of the forward area.   I'll quickly set up some temporary fortifications.

granite 30th:
  things.. are going somewhat well.   initial unloading and deconstructing has gone fairly well.   everything is stored underground.   unfrotuantly, the month has not been without problems.   the staircase in the cliff face has proven unsuitable.   the river below is infested with skeletal alligators and hippos.   nobody wanted to go near it with them staring at us.   a secondary staircase has been made away from it, to relive this problem, but something will have to be done about the staircase soon. 

above, the farms are being flooded by one of the nearby pools.  we will seal the hole once it finishes and our food supply will be secured.   

below.. we are finialy starting the main portion of the fort.   

while no set plans so far, the striking of valuable gems this soon has put me in good spirits.   there also seem to be some valuable rubies in the cliff to the east, though how we shall get to them might be a problem.

5th slate:
everyone but the is now indoors, due to Skelephants.   once the upper area is done, I might let them out.

11th slate:  the stupid miner forgot to set burrow on him.  ran outside and attracted the elephants.  only hope now is to kill them.   the wood cutter was trained in his axe skill, but who knows how well that will do.   just need to kill the one near the entrance to let the miner in, I hope.

12th slate:  he went to sleep   AAHHRRRGHH   miners dead.  canceling attack on skelephants.  *sigh*      designating somebody else as the miner.   

14th slate:  farmer started planting.   soon be making booze.   remaining wood stock going to create stuff to hold the booze.

26th slate:  the miner shall soon be entombed.    really should learn everyones names.. let's see. ah, his name was degal.      plans are really set back though.   minning is very slow with the untrained guy.  need to dig out the food processing rooms, so that should give him some training.

28th felsite:  the mechanic, Tosid, has come quite a ways as a miner.   whale nowhere as good as the former miner Degal, he has finished the new dinning hall.   the waterfall face has been smoothed and carved to boot, letting the mist enter the room, while keeping the frighting skeleton at bay.
 the Next goal is a simple individual quarters off the dinning hall.
-------------
end spring.

yip.  that was interesting.  wandering creatures might be a problem.  if you let anyone onto the surface, keep watch.  the corrner of the map were on is quite small.     

will head onto summer in the morning.  for now, I sleep.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 09:32:10 pm by TerrisH »

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 09:59:46 pm »

This is great, but before we continue, what game version are we using? Currently im using "Lazy Newb Pack V5.1"

TerrisH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 10:18:42 pm »

same version.   I'm thinking of upgrading the main file to .16 though so we can get invasions.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 11:41:06 pm »

This is great, but before we continue, what game version are we using? Currently im using "Lazy Newb Pack V5.1"
TBH it doesn't matter if you just overwrite the raws folder in the save with your own, as flong as you aren't using a modded game(or the save is from one) and you are using a DF version the same or higher as the one the save is from

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2010, 12:19:18 am »

So if he posts a save that's not modded and i have a modded game and i save and post it here. The save will be fine and playable for the next person?

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2010, 01:26:07 am »

So if he posts a save that's not modded and i have a modded game and i save and post it here. The save will be fine and playable for the next person?
Yes and no. When you open the save, it will use the raws from the save's folder without touching anything else. when you SAVE, however, the save's raws will be rewritten with the main df raw folder. So whoever goes after you needs to delete the save's raw folder and replace it with the default raw folder.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

TerrisH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2010, 07:05:21 am »

hmm,   I do have the Aquafers shut off for the world gen, useing the lazy newb tool designed to do so.    but that's the only change I did.

TerrisH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2010, 09:05:00 am »

23rd hematite
   wow.  we ran out of stone.   Tosid went on break for a few days, and with the death of the other miner, we had nothing to load:
the new stone traps with.   Tosid is off break now, and is digging out the new basic quarters wing, so some more stone should be freed up soon.

28th Malachite
  MIGRANTS!!     
only 4, but they are more then a welcome site.
A gem cutter, who will be put to work carving our stock of Sapphire., after practicing on our stock of lesser gems.   
 a fish cleaner:  actually needed, though I'll stick on farming for him also.   
a thresher,  who I will convert into a fisherman.   I'll likely promote him to the millita later, once I can get a hammer for him
and a clerk.   for now, he becomes a second miner, to speed up the digging. 
no pets though,  which is unfortunate.  we need a few cats to start hunting the vermin around the fort.

7th Galena
   I must say, I am loving this purple wood.   we must export some back to the mountain home.

16th Galena
   the new quarters are dug out,  I'm placing the beds and doors now.  with the dangers of the surface,  I'm adding a fair sized tree-cap farm to my priorities.

19 galena
  A cavern has been breached.   I can already feel the fresh cavern air flowing through the forth.
   I can almost see the treecap spores drifting about.    to bad that can't survive in sunlight.
  I'll begin digging out a gallery around the farms.  flood it with the upper river, then drain it via the cliff.   
  in the meantime, with the spores released, I'm flooring over the breach.  no sense in being unsafe, and were not quite ready to fight below.

24th galena
  the skeletal elephants are back.  I can see them staring at us from across the ravine.

---------------

and summer appears.     fairly uneventful 3 months.     I'll do the next three months when I get back from work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15