Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Naturelabor- a succession game.  (Read 13373 times)

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Who wants to do a succession game?
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2010, 05:56:16 pm »

Aren't there four months? How many are in DF?

TerrisH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Who wants to do a succession game?
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2010, 06:36:50 pm »

12 months total.   4 seasons of 3 months each.   I'm taking a break whenever a season ends.   will do Autumn sometime tonight, and winter right after or in the morning.

edit:
or do both in the morning as I got engrossed in a book.   
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 12:32:35 am by TerrisH »

TerrisH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Naturelabor- a succession game.
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2010, 12:31:34 pm »

23rd limestone:
   more migrants,  a welcome site...
7 total have arrived.
 A minner with a bronze pick.  excellent.
 a weaver,  with some weapon skills.   
 an engraver.  quite good to.   will become our sole engraver now.
 threasher.  also quite a good mechanic.   we nee more traps, so he'll be put to good use.
 a metals/armor/weaponsmith.   no place to use him right now, but once the next layer of bedrooms are done, I'll carve out him some facilities.
  a planter, who has some quite good skills with gems.
  an armor smith, who is not as good as out combined one.   
  and an elephant?

wait what?

oh my.   an elephant ran into one of our cage traps.   captured him quite nicely.   should try and tame him.

2nd sandstone
the old dormitory has proven quite suitable for the new kennels.   I have moved the kennels here,a dn a cage to keep our new pet it.   hopefully, somebody will find to try and tame him.

8th sandstone:  success!  I have successfully tamed this wild beast. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
   she is female, so as long as she can get to meet some of the passing herds in the area, she will likely breed.  which means an ample supply of elephant meat.

the skelephant herd has reappear,  across the ravine.   unfortunately, the travelers bridge was recently completed, and is not yet linked to a lever for retraction.   *sigh*    surface access is once again restricted.

20th sandstone
and.. the mason, who was behind our walls tossing something into the refuse pit, got startled by the skelephant and ran not to the staircase and safety but towards them.    ah well, he's dead now. *sigh*

once they leave, next project is to build an outer wall to prevent this from happening again.

28th sandstone
  they left, tasking body retrieval now.

20th timber
  the Traders arrived a few days ago.   we were in such a rush to get the goods to the depot, i din't have time to write then.  tradeing is going good.   I'm buying up any weapons and animals they have. 

the most precious find sofar is a cat.  should help with the vermin a bit.   

25th timber.
  I've asked for steel, weapons, armor, some cats and cows, oh, and drinks.  can never have to much to drink.

here is what they want from us:
-----------

and winter arrives.  continueing to play now.  no break.

TerrisH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2010, 02:44:04 pm »

18th moonstone
  hmm, more rubies.   

20th opal
   at least, it is finished!    behold,   out towercap-farm!
once they begin to mature, we will have a fresh source of trees,  free of the danger the skellephants pose.

best of all, we now have a grand master miner, and 2 legendary ones.   I'll set them to mining out yet another wing of quarters, a barracks, and a hospital wing.

and.. crash cause I zoomed the wrong way.   ah well, it's just processing time till then, no major changes.   

---------------------
   played on right through.  winter was mostly just upkeep.  nothing eventful.

will be posting a map save soon

TerrisH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2010, 03:24:15 pm »

http://www.mediafire.com/?qta9d4l3t9kb1rg

the save is there.

now for a tour.

first is the surface.   rough, unfinished, and scary.   
the lever labeled eastern bridge un-retracts a bridge.     built it so we could get over there if we wanted to.   pointless, really.

unlabeled lever next to it is connected to the recently finished entrance bridge, which is not shown 1 z-level up.    new trap are being prepared in front of it.   old traps being de-constructed to provide caged for them.   might have to build more.        recommend the War elephant be chained where the old traps are now, to serve as finial look out and defense.   

fishing area on the river.    skephants across the river scare the fishermen sometimes.

one level down, we have the farms,  food storage, and food processing area.   along with the massive tree-farm area.    not much to say here.   except that the dwarfs seem to refuse to wall of the old entrance passage.  *sigh*

down one more level, we have the storage area, kennels, and barracks.   barracks, are incomplete.   need beds, weapons racks, and other stuff, not to mention a door.   

Level 3 is centered around the dinning hall.   completely engraved, with mist flowing into through the eastern fortifications.    set a high traffic path next to the wall to increase the likelihood of people getting misted..
to the north, are the quarters.    the smooth one is the expeditions leader.  across the hall is the eventualy location of the hospital.    beds in the alcoves, and a Table in the space between them.   for surgery.

to the south east are the tombs.   simple, but effective place to inture our dead.
to the south west are the workshops.       

and that's the fort so far.

how did I do?  comments?   tips to improve my game play?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2010, 04:50:56 pm »

OK, I'm fairly new, but I'll have a go at it...if I already have a region 2, is this gonna overwrite it?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

TerrisH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2010, 05:35:41 pm »

Yhea, it would.  simple fix though ^_^

just change 2 in the folder name to another number.    one you don't have a world for.   
or to nature labor, or something else.     save games are listed via the folder name, not the save game itself.     which is cool.   

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2010, 06:26:16 pm »

OK.

Before I start posting screenshots, I have a little plan:
Project Vulcan/ Project Paranoia

What would happen if Naturelabor got beseiged by 500 goblins?
It's not going to happen, of course, but even a couple dozen would be bad, and paranoia is always a good option.

Project Vulcan involves tunneling down to the magma sea in several locations, and building magma-safe pump stacks up to the top. Since walls cannot be destroyed by magma, this won't kill dwarves, but it will be a very good last defence against any sieges that try to attack us.

Thoughts? It's a big project, so it won't get done on my turn, and I want to know what you all think before I do it.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

TerrisH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2010, 07:28:52 pm »

pumping up magma to the surface is a good long term goal, both for defensive stratigic weapons, and setting up a magma forges.  the shere number of pumps might be a problem, and powering them is going to be the tricky part.         

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2010, 07:41:32 pm »

1st granite
After poking around for a bit, I looked at our stocks:

I don’t know what we have. This is annoying. We assigned a bookkeeper, but he hasn’t been working.

Since bookkeepers work fast and we don’t have a whole lot of stuff, I’ll have this one work up to medium precision, which should only take a couple weeks. That will, at least, tell us how much we have in terms of food and booze. Moreover, he’s a stonecarver, which is, to say the least, on the lower scale of occupations that are absolutely necessary to prevent fun. So, off he goes to his office.

And damn. Your barracks, sir, will have to wait for a bit- you dug under a murky pool.

Project Vulcan will be quite easy- insofar as that's possible-because there’s only one way into the fort. As it is, I’m just going to try and find a good place to put it eventually. Since I'm somewhat new to the game, my goal this year isn't to get any pumps in, but to get to the magma sea and design the layout of the pumps.

There is one thing that bugs me. Let's take a look at Z-level 0:

We're protected, right? Cage traps, stone fall traps, walls everywhere else. Impenetrable walls.

Let's take a look at Z-level +1.

FLYING ENEMIES WILL HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO TROUBLE GETTING INTO THE FORTRESS.
So Project Vulcan is called off for the moment; we have a ceiling to build. I may get rid of the bridge. There's absolutely no use for it.

In other news, our current mining stairway gets stopped by the first cavern layer, so I’m starting a new one:

Anyways.
Also, a stone stockpile? Really? For Pete’s sake, don’t ever, ever, EVER build a stone stockpile. You will almost never run out of stone, and it very rarely takes more steps to build a stairway down to somewhere where there’s lots of stone right next to the mason’s workshop. Plus, stone stockpiles are a waste of space. If you do need to get rid of a lot of stone, use a quantum stockpile- create a one-space garbage dump, mark the stones you don’t want to be dumped, and you can store an infinite amount of stone in one square.
So, the stone stockpile is deleted.
As it is, the workshop spaces next to the mason’s workshop need to be cleared, so I make a quantum stockpile in the corner shared by the masons’ workshops, the craftsman’s workshop and the jewler’s.

Well, fuck.
That's all at the moment; I have some Latin translation to do. Tomorrow morning you can tune in to the thrilling tale of what happened to the doctor..

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2010, 08:34:20 pm »

Before and after your turns can you please post the stats screen? And some pictures of the fortress, just for future reference...

Btw are we using .14? Or does it not matter?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 08:37:38 pm by Comrade »

TerrisH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2010, 08:59:27 pm »

oh, right.  the Skelphants. 

they are the reason I built the wall in the first place.      it's pretty safe when they are on the north and east sides of the map.    the ones to the north will scare the fisherdwarfs,  but pose no real risk.   

the bridge is there to keep them out of the fort.   their wander path takes them right over the entrance (which lead to the masons death).   raise the bridge to keep them on the other side of the wall when they appear in our corner of the map.     

It's only when they appear in our corner of the map do things get scary.    hence the wall and bridge.   though not finished, it will let us Isolate the fort and prevent them from walking right up to the entrance.     It's likely a good Idea to roof it over eventually,  but the skelephant defenses were a priority.

sometime when the skelephants are on the east side of the map would be good to throw up a bridge across it and build a wall to block the fisher dwarfs site. 

On the stone stockpiles:     haven't gotten the hang quantum stone stockpile.    still a new player to the game.

edit:

started on 31.14   I plan to upgrade to 31.16 tomorrow though.     no seiges are good for learning the game, but less fun then with them.  hmm that's an idea to write up...

on the damp stone warning:  err, is there a problem with that?   never had a roof fail on me under one,  just a lot of spam pauses.   it's just a bit of micro managing.    the barracks are already dug out to the north.  and designated slightly.  it's the room with the beds in alcoves. 

ah-ha!  got it working.  our fortress at the end of my turn.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9727-naturelabor
marking locations of intrest and future stuff.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 09:55:05 pm by TerrisH »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2010, 07:45:14 am »

The second half of Granite is a good time indeed for the fortress. On the 17th, our war elephant gave birth to a calf, and on the 20th I had my miners dig out the native gold vein that's down near the caverns.
On the 22nd,
How many of them? Well, before the migration we had 16 dwarves, and now we have 36. Some of them are useful, some of them aren't...regardless, I set them to dumping a lot of stone.
Around the same time, I set most of the area across from our tree farm to be dug out as an extra tree farm, because I predict that we won't have enough trees. Building the floor over there is slow going...they keep getting interrupted by skeletal alligators.
Slate is a little bit odd. For the first time in the history of naturelabor, we get a strange mood on the 23rd:

I build him a clothier's workshop:
He demands silk cloth, it seems, which I don't have. Since he's a pretty useless dwarf with no friends, I'll let him starve to death. As a precaution, I build a door on the only entrance to the workshop and lock him in.
And by Armok, those skelephants are annoying. I decide to cut down some trees to build a wall.

That's all for now.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2010, 07:47:34 am »

Oh god, I'm playing .14 ... I can't upload to .16 at the moment, I'm on a school computer... so this year will have no sieges, if that's alright with you all.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2010, 07:59:46 am »

In late Felsite, an elven caravan arrives. We have absolutely nothing at all to trade them, so I've made the executive decision to deconstruct the trade depot on them- we need their wood, and seizing their stuff will piss them off. Besides, the broker's on break, so...

I know some of you will not like this decision; but we can rebuild it before the humans come, and, honestly, we need their stuff.

Also, on the food front: we have lots of food, in fact too much for the stockpile. I've built a kitchen- we got a cook with the migrants- and I'll build a bigger food stockpile.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 08:11:24 am by dhokarena56 »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15