Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will I be invaded?  (Read 1241 times)

Kortalh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Will I be invaded?
« on: October 07, 2010, 06:35:51 pm »

Hi folks. I'm kind of a newb to Dwarf Fortress. I've got a fairly simple question, but neither the Wiki nor searching the forums seems to turn up an answer.

When I embarked, I wanted to ensure that I'd be attacked by Goblins at some point, so I checked the Neighbors screen, and it said this:
Elves
Humans
Dwarves
Goblins -------
I'm not sure what the red dotted line means (didn't see anything in the Wiki about that, either) -- I assume it means they're hostile toward me?

At any rate, I embarked, got my fort up and running, all that fun stuff. However, it's nearly Winter and I've yet to have any traders. On a whim, I checked my civilization screen. This is what I saw:
Unnamed Amphibian man civilization
Unnamed Cave fish man civilization
Unnamed Olm man civilization
Egarstukos, "The Old Razor", Dwarven
Now, does this mean that I won't be contacted by the Humans or Elves? And does it mean that I won't be invaded by the Goblins? I very much want to experience an invasion, but I'm not too keen on restarting my fort again.

Thanks for any help!

Fanklok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Table User
    • View Profile
Re: Will I be invaded?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 06:37:44 pm »

Those are civilizations that have been/are on your map, sicne you have goblin neighbors chances are good they don't like you and will attack.
How the hell did you get a table stuck in a guy?
Where did you even GET the table?

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 06:38:44 pm »

Traders(Other than your own race's) will NOT come in the first year.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 06:41:20 pm »

Yes, you will probably be attacked at some point.  In the Spring the elves may come and their civ will be added to the list.  Same for the humans and goblins.  It may depend on where you embark, but I think it typically takes a year or more before the goblins send any snatcher ambushes.

Kortalh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 06:43:37 pm »

Ah, ok. Thanks -- I spent at least two hours regenerating areas to find this perfect spot... wasn't looking forward to doing it again just to be attacked. :D

A dotted red line indicates that a faction is hostile, then, I take it?

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 06:49:50 pm »

Ah, ok. Thanks -- I spent at least two hours regenerating areas to find this perfect spot... wasn't looking forward to doing it again just to be attacked. :D

Yes, though 99% of the time only goblins will be hostile on the embark screen.  That isn't to say humans or elves won't get mad at you and attack if you were to, say, drop every caravan they send into a magma pit.  After seizing all of its goods, of course.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 06:54:56 pm »

Gen a world with maximum civs and cycle through all the Dwarf civs. I always find one that is warring with the elves.

It helps that there are ten of each scrapping it out.

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 08:49:14 pm »

If you've modded in a winter-active civ they will come the first year.  But presumably you haven't.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 09:02:17 pm »

Yes, the dotted red line means they don't like you.  If your parent civilization was at war with another they would show up with WAR instead of ---- (as I found out after abandoning my first fort and founding another in the same region, only to discover the elves wanted to kill me; I got elven ambushers instead of goblins).

Oh, and if you are using the .13 or .14 version you won't get invaded, but any other version you should, assuming you have hostile neighbors.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 10:14:07 pm »

If you've modded in a winter-active civ they will come the first year.  But presumably you haven't.
My winter-active civ. is my custom race(Which I always use), so I wouldn't know.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.