Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Migrant waves  (Read 1019 times)

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrant waves
« on: October 07, 2010, 04:59:55 pm »

A question in two parts.

I am aware that fortress wealth and dwarf mortality rate affects migrant wave size.

1) Does it affect the size of waves before the first caravan?

2) What is the fastest way to increase wealth?

Thanks.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrant waves
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 05:12:09 pm »

I hate migrant waves. I think 20+ migrants in a wave is just too much, unless you are a top line fortress.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 05:16:43 pm »

It seems like my attitude about immigrants is a bit different than most. I set my pop cap at 100 and try to get there as fast as possible.

I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 05:28:43 pm »

From what I can see, they will arrive more eagerly the more you loathe them.

I'd suggest that you
- make a burrow and call it "useless ****ing immigrants".
- build an atomsmasher over that burrow and make it ready
- wall yourself in (the burrow should be outside of the wall). You might want to open that wall whenever those immigrant suckers arrive, since you actually want to have them.
- have some dwarves at the edge of a tantrum because they have too many grudges against the others
- be low on booze and food, so low that those immigrant waves would eat up all your supplies
- don't bother to give anyone a room until you've hit the population cap; a dormitory in a corridor, with 1 bed in total will make the immigrants totally excited about traveling to your place
- smash up some of the immigrants every once in a while to keep the immigrants motivated to travel to your place. The more of this you do, the more will arrive next season.

The immigrants should eagerly travel towards your fortress then.

All of this might sound counter-productive, but from what I've observed, the game is more eager to send immigrants in your face the more obviously you hate them and want to kill them.

Increasing fortress wealth:
- Engrave the walls. Might want to wait until your engraver is good at what's he doing.
- I built 30 serrated steel discs last time and the fortress wealth just exploded.
- Prepare lots of lavish meals, with booze enabled for cooking.
- Studding stuff with gold increases the value of these things quite a bit.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 05:32:32 pm by Lytha »
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 06:24:23 pm »

Maybe that's my problem. I always have way more food and booze than I need.

If it was possible to increase the size of my immigrant waves before the first caravan, it may be worth bringing an anvil to make serrated discs for fortress value.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 07:00:54 pm »

A question in two parts.

I am aware that fortress wealth and dwarf mortality rate affects migrant wave size.

1) Does it affect the size of waves before the first caravan?

2) What is the fastest way to increase wealth?

Thanks.

Depends rather what stage you're at in the game.
1) rob all caravans, works at beginning nicely by just smashing the depots.
2) get a legendary dorf mass produce anything out of adamantine.
3) just make adamantine crap.
4) Just get legendary dorfs make anything masterpiecy. Masterpiece gold crafts sell for nice value.
5) decorate, dye, make pictures, etc on stuff.

I got 35 migrants in a wave once when I accidentally donated 50k worth of stuff. I think trade value effects migrant wave sizes as well. Also, I don't really get why people whine about them? Just pick the quick healing & agile types for military and use the rest for cannon fodder and novice weapon/armor smiths that try to catch the fey.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:10:09 pm by jei »
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

rntrndrw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 07:12:46 pm »

- wall yourself in (the burrow should be outside of the wall). You might want to open that wall whenever those immigrant suckers arrive, since you actually want to have them.

So wait.... what?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 07:30:17 pm »

Try and have a rough idea of fortress layout before you begin. Draft a miner or two early on, carve out the rough basics of your fortress, and breach/wall off every cavern to find where they are/would require a change in fortress plan. Begin carving out farmland. At this point you should be roughly autumn, with your starting 7 and whatever poor sods wandered up in the first year. All of your dwarves should be living in filthy hobbit-holes with badly-carved stone crafts to trade.

With me so far?

Good. Now EVERY SINGLE MIGRANT WAVE will be 23+ worthless no-life booze sponges with master-grade fish dissection and lye making. These will be consistent until you hit pop cap. Enjoy 45 idlers by year 3.

(Yes, I know I was bad at fortress design, but I swear it happened this way every single time)
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

rntrndrw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 08:37:47 pm »

The fortress im playing now, I decided to hold no punches and go all out. I made all 7 of my dwarves 2x2 rooms with a bed and carved out a grand dinning hall, there all employed and happy.

Im into year 2 now and I have recieved two waves. The first was 6 and the last one was only 2. I was preparing for at least 40 and carved out all the rooms.

Now I have a crap load of empty bedrooms and no migrants are showing up.

What gives?

meto30

• Bay Watcher
  • Maelstrom. As in whirlpool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 08:44:30 pm »

Migrant wave size is very dependant on the fortress wealth value, both exported and created. Trade a lot of items, and make sure the dwarven caravan leaves with a very sizable sum.

Smoothing the walls increase fortress wealth quickly.

rntrndrw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 08:57:45 pm »

Is smoothing floor the same as placing floor tiles? If not which one increases value more? Can you even smooth floor?

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 09:05:22 pm »

Yes you can smooth floor.  Constructed floor cannot be engraved, which hurts its potential a lot if you have skilled engravers, but on the other hand if it's a soil floor, it may be useful to increase value.  Generally not worth the bother, strictly for value, but on the other hand very useful for things like preventing tree growth/getting rid of loose rock.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 09:06:47 pm »

Is smoothing floor the same as placing floor tiles? If not which one increases value more? Can you even smooth floor?
Smoothing entire rooms and then engraving those rooms is one of the best ways to increase a rooms value, we're talking a 5x5 room jumping from meager to royal if your engravers are legendaries.
also note you cannot smooth or engrave constructed things.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 12:06:03 am »

Thanks much.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 06:00:07 am »

A slightly less dwarfy answer than those posted, but it seems to work for me.....

Bring a stone-crafter(5) dwarf. His job is to sit there, make trade goods, get fed and drunk. He helps clear all those bloody useless stones out of the fortress pathways too. That will make migrants like you. Make him the expedition leader if you want, he won't move much when liasons come. He might even know how to brew drinks. What a legend.

Bring at least 3 bronze (by which I mean 3 copper-ore, 3 tin-ore and 3 bit.coal and 1 charcoal). Each furnace-able bronze is a weapon pack costing 15 embark points (minus the starting charcoal) and will turn into a useful axe/pick. 3 or more gets a fort going quickly, is useful for later defence (reducing mortality) and increases wealth. 5 bronze "weapon packs" is pretty much optimum with a good weapon smith.

Make some extra beds. Extra good extra beds if you can. Slap a few statues around if you've got time near the stairwells, bedrooms and boozatoriums (dining halls). Waste a lot of real-time play seeing what they're of.

A really, really friggen big, engraved dining hall with plenty of good food, booze, seats and tables always helps. ALWAYS.

It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: [1] 2