Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The bed of (possible) DOOOOOM!!!!!!  (Read 1772 times)

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
The bed of (possible) DOOOOOM!!!!!!
« on: October 07, 2010, 11:33:28 am »

Ok, So, as we may know, I am werry noobish to Dwarf mode, as such, I pose a question.
If I was to build a Magma reservoir with one opening downwards, covered with a hatch, leading into a 2 zlevel drop to another hatch. and link both hatches to a pressure plate, would the second hatch close quickly enough to catch the smalling magma? See, what i want to do, is place a bed in an alcove with the plate beside it, meaning that the dwarf would step on the plate once when he goes to bed, causing the trap to be primed, and again when he gets up, triggering it. The idea being that the bed is designated to a particularly annoying dwarf/noble meaning that the first nights sleep in the bed of doooooom!!! would be the last.
Also, apologies for any bad grammar/spelling. I'm typing this out on my phone.
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Gates and Windows?
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The bed of (possible) DOOOOOM!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 11:38:53 am »

Hatches open instantly, but have a 100 step delay when closing.  So no, the second hatch won't close quickly enough to catch the falling magma.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 11:43:40 am »

Crap! I was afraid of that... Any other ideas? or will I have to go with the much less dwarfy manual alternative?
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 12:23:44 pm »

If the hatch is going to be open for 100 steps after it is walked on, you could use just one hatch.  Hopefully the dwarf won't live long enough to step on it a second time   8)
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 01:06:18 pm »

maybe a one shot plate that closes a bridge into the bedroom of doom.  the entrance could be from the side. 

another idea is for the entrance hatch to be in the ceiling (next to the magma reservoir), so no magma gets lost.

or just a plain door that can be closed (with a one shot plate) when someone walks into the room.

i would make a regular door as the entrance, and then make some iron bars after the door that are triggered whenever someone walks in. that way the door is still visible, but the dwarf has to suffer after taking his nap of DOOM!

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 01:27:48 pm »

make a bauxite bed?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 01:28:57 pm »

Hatches open instantly, but have a 100 step delay when closing.  So no, the second hatch won't close quickly enough to catch the falling magma.

The 100 step closing delay comes from the pressure plate resetting, not the hatch responding to the signal.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 01:30:31 pm »

Meh. I'll just change it to a 2 step. Plate 1 seals off one side and open/shuts Hatch 1 into chute. Plate two, only activatable after plate 1 has been hit, opens Hatch 2 and resets room. Dwarfy enough for a newb?

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 01:48:02 pm »

actually this got me a idea'

would it work if i put a bed on a grate? and if magma pours on the bad that it goes trough te grate? or does the bed block it?

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 01:51:36 pm »

No. The Dwarf must have a good night's sleep before he dies. That's the point of the torture, the illusion of happiness.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 01:52:45 pm »

would it work if i put a bed on a grate? and if magma pours on the bad that it goes trough te grate? or does the bed block it?
You can't build a building on top of another building.  You can build a bed on top of a constructed floor, but you can't build a bed on a grate.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 03:28:38 pm »

You could build a bed next to a grate, then flood magma down the grate so the noble chokes on magma mist.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 03:35:36 pm »

In current versions of the game, Dwarves seem to sleep in someone else's bed as often as in their own... your little bed of doom might Magmatize your Legendary Weaponsmith instead of the intended target.

Try a lever set to be pulled only by the annoying Noble.
Never pet a burning dog.

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 05:08:24 pm »

I thought the bed bug was fixed recently?

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 05:10:35 pm »

I thought the bed bug was fixed recently?
Yes.
in .13
Pages: [1] 2