Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The eff is going on with that effin Steam?  (Read 3425 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: The eff is going on with that effin Steam?
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2010, 07:20:33 pm »

Once again, 95% of people's problems with Steam is in fact problems with their internet instead.
Nope. The problem is steam's programming being so crappy it cannot work with a slow internet. -NOTHING ELSE- is this bad. Only steam. Not even Sony Station is bad with a slow internet and that's saying something.

Also, the retards never fixed the open audio channels bug. Debugged down to what caused it and they never even bothered. Course, most people can't even tell that's happening cause they're not paranoid like I am with the computer.

I haven't had a serious problem with steam really. Every once in a while, it would lock up, but I'd rather have that than keep up with organizing CDs. My last laptop had some more serious problems, where getting a message as soon as I popped on would cause it to freeze up, but that was it.

Might be that the quality of servers you have to use are bad. Or your ISP. This tends to happen in the UAE, albeit less dramatically.
That's my only problem really. That and some stupid bugs they don't bother to fix. And I've told you before, brazil's isps are worse than what you got there, haha. Just less... censored...

If you can rule out the computer, we can rule out the client.

It's your connection.

E: Also, it's the developer's fault that it has to completely redownload the game, not Steam's.
Steam does incremental patches just fine.
Not everyone can have a fast connection. It IS the client fault for the way it handles it. It IS the only client I've seen that handles it that way, the wrong way. Don't be a jerk just because you can have a better connection Jay. If you had a bad one you'd be just as pissed when it happened. Specially pissed because it would only happen to steam.

Nope. Not everyone got the update the same way. I can't tell why some people had to download 8 gb all over again, but others only downloaded 120mb or so for the last GA patch.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2010, 07:22:36 pm »

The only problem I've ever had with Steam is when it wouldn't download while I was playing a single-player game.

Okay, the single-player game was Left 4 Dead 2 in single-player mode.  But I was trying to force it to download something else I wanted, while I killed time (and zombies) while waiting.  Turns out it helpfully paused the download for me!  Oops.  Understandable though.

I love Steam.  90% of my games these days are Steam games, and all the rest are free indie ones.  When I get a new rig or want to populate a laptop with shiny things, it takes five minutes of my time (and a non-interactive wait for the download).

Also:  I have slow internet too so stop generalizing+assuming.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2010, 07:25:36 pm »

I've never had problems with steam either.
Shoes...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2010, 07:26:04 pm »

You can open the UI and tell it to resume and it will while you play another game.

And your slow internet is more reliable than my fast internets, you're just being an offensive fanboi.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2010, 07:59:53 pm »

And your slow internet is more reliable than my fast internets, you're just being an offensive fanboi.
So what you're saying is that your connection is unreliable.
That's not Steam's fault, regardless of whether anybody here is a "fanboi".
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2010, 08:03:59 pm »

I didn't really mean to touch off a debate about whether Steam works or not. In fact, all I had to do was register on Steam and it's been fine.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2010, 08:23:22 pm »

Hah...Steam is the one and only DRM I will support use of, and I'm glad more and more developers are using it. It's notoriously hard to crack Steam games, and while this may be bad for the pirates, I'd rather have a developer use Steam to protect their IP rights than have them use Secu-ROM or StarFORCE.

Also, my Steam client is juuuust fine, I got Porlla when it was free and have Alien Swarm as well, no issues here.
Not true, Steam games aren't any harder to crack than any other DRM scheme. Hell, There are cracked steam clients out there, which can download most games and run them without the user even KNOWING it's not legit.

I'd rather a developer use steam than other DRM solutions, but either way DRM isn't effective.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2010, 09:15:33 pm »

I use Steam.   It's cool!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2010, 10:34:13 pm »

If you can rule out the computer, we can rule out the client.

It's your connection.

E: Also, it's the developer's fault that it has to completely redownload the game, not Steam's.
Steam does incremental patches just fine.
Even if Valve is the developer of said game that requires a 10GB update for a game that was only 4GB at install? Even if it's not actually 10GB, the fact that it says it is a sign of a problem.

Furthermore, I fail to see the correlation between download speed and a buggy crashy GUI, other than it being programmed wrong, or the correlation between computer hardware and client issues, other than it being programmed wrong.

I guess it's just that some programs work fine for some people and for others... it doesn't. I've somehow avoided bugs with some programs that other people with similar hardware could easily reproduce.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2010, 11:11:43 pm »

So what you're saying is that your connection is unreliable.
That's not Steam's fault, regardless of whether anybody here is a "fanboi".
Unreliable as in it has a higher ping than his and the speed varies way more. That's not steam's fault, of course. But it is steam's fault it cannot handle that when everything else and their mom can and should. The internet isn't reliable by default. My connection being at 10-15kb/s speed at a time is -no- excuse for steam's front to lock up during the beginning of an update for 10 minutes. It's bad programming. Imagine if every time you opened a tab on firefox it locked down for 1 minute while the new tab was loading. That's what's happening.

Even if Valve is the developer of said game that requires a 10GB update for a game that was only 4GB at install? Even if it's not actually 10GB, the fact that it says it is a sign of a problem.
Yep, I found the problem. The 'update' is 8.6gb and the actual game size is less than that. Steam shows the download size wrong (should be around 6-7gb) and the reason it does that; get this, some steam download servers do not support updates. Yep, you heard that right. Steam, in its infinite wisdom, decided to change my download location to US - somewhere-like-cleveland-or-something automatically and said location doesn't support updates (to other countries other than the US, or something like that. There's a huge post in the steam forums about this stupid shit, but I'm not sure, since some of the people in the GA forums who complained about this were american). My default is US - Miami, which is the fastest location for me and has never done any of this shit.

Furthermore, I fail to see the correlation between download speed and a buggy crashy GUI, other than it being programmed wrong, or the correlation between computer hardware and client issues, other than it being programmed wrong.
GFT.

Don't get me wrong, I like the promotions, but I only buy games on steam that are either on discount or only run on steam, otherwise I look for other methods.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2010, 12:04:53 am »

Hah...Steam is the one and only DRM I will support use of, and I'm glad more and more developers are using it. It's notoriously hard to crack Steam games, and while this may be bad for the pirates, I'd rather have a developer use Steam to protect their IP rights than have them use Secu-ROM or StarFORCE.

Also, my Steam client is juuuust fine, I got Porlla when it was free and have Alien Swarm as well, no issues here.
Not true, Steam games aren't any harder to crack than any other DRM scheme. Hell, There are cracked steam clients out there, which can download most games and run them without the user even KNOWING it's not legit.

I'd rather a developer use steam than other DRM solutions, but either way DRM isn't effective.

Okay, let me rephrase: it is notoriusly hard to find cracked Steam games that work and won't kill legit Steam.

And yeah, DRM isn't effective, but Steam > Secu-ROM.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2010, 12:53:49 am »

Okay, let me rephrase: it is notoriusly hard to find cracked Steam games that work and won't kill legit Steam.
Notoriously hard? Since when? I didn't like the first methods used, that jacked your steam into beta-mode but the new skidrow stuff actually runs an emulated steam when you run the game, so you don't even need steam up to run the steam-cracked game. (Yes, Jay, I looked into it and how that one worked, that's pretty much it.)

Purdy common and safe.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2010, 03:14:18 am »

I've never had problems with Steam.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Skibiliano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2010, 05:00:41 am »

What? Steam doesn't work with a slow internet! Oh buggery!
My other computer which I use every two weeks, it has a 512/512 connection (Yes, 51.2kb/s in, 51.2kb/s out), it also has 512MB of memory, 128MB of Vram, 2,0GHZ processor etc.
And it works FINE, updates FINE.
GENERATION 10:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2010, 06:57:35 am »

Notoriously hard? Since when? I didn't like the first methods used, that jacked your steam into beta-mode but the new skidrow stuff actually runs an emulated steam when you run the game, so you don't even need steam up to run the steam-cracked game. (Yes, Jay, I looked into it and how that one worked, that's pretty much it.)

Purdy common and safe.
Soulwynd is right. It's point-and-click simple at this point. Don't get me wrong, some of the early cracked steam games used to involve a more lengthy process, but it ain't nothin' now.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4