Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The eff is going on with that effin Steam?  (Read 3424 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The eff is going on with that effin Steam?
« on: October 07, 2010, 10:52:35 am »

I just started up Steam and all the local content was gone. I doublechecked, and yeah, the files really are missing. I guess I can call myself lucky the few games I bought are still there, but Alien Swarm and Moonbase Alpha (for instance) arent even in the list of games I own anymore... 

Anybody got a clue why this happened? Did Steam get even moar bitchy just because I dared not starting it for 2 months or so? I mean, I find it a bit disturbing it deletes stuff without so much as a beep... or just... you know... asking.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The eff is going on with that effin Steam?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 10:56:32 am »

Yea, I just got steam for L4D2.

Hope it doesn't screw my stuff up.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 11:36:04 am »

There was a client update recently. Maybe that screwed it up?

It didn't for me, but I still have to download another effing 3GB just to play L4D2, which pisses me off since when my internet conked out over a week ago, it was only a couple of MB away from being finished updating when it dropped..
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 12:31:37 pm »

I just started up Steam and all the local content was gone. I doublechecked, and yeah, the files really are missing. I guess I can call myself lucky the few games I bought are still there, but Alien Swarm and Moonbase Alpha (for instance) arent even in the list of games I own anymore... 

Anybody got a clue why this happened? Did Steam get even moar bitchy just because I dared not starting it for 2 months or so? I mean, I find it a bit disturbing it deletes stuff without so much as a beep... or just... you know... asking.

Alien Swarm and Moonbase Alpha are free games, so when it deleted them, for whatever reason, they were removed from your list.
Shoes...

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 12:56:57 pm »

Or, you know, the files got deleted due to something else and it's entirely not Steam's fault.
The free games vanished because you don't own them.  The library only shows uninstalled games that you own.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 01:05:29 pm »

Yah, free games only appear in the list while installed, confirming this :P Calm down.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 01:21:29 pm »

Steam is doing fine for me.

Perhaps you should do a virus scan? Or check that someone else didnt delete the games?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 10:21:13 am »

Ok, so much for the free games. Still no real reason Steam is allowed to delete those folders, just like that. It still did. Nobody else is using that computer, and it gets its regular scans. Which usually end up nice and clean, for years now.

I bet its because I "skipped" a Steam client update or two before finally launching it again.

Or, you know, the files got deleted due to something else and it's entirely not Steam's fault.
Since the local content folders of steam are the ONLY things affected, chances are its entirely Steam's fault. But thanks for that valuable comment anyway.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 10:28:21 am by Puck »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 11:00:57 am »

Ok, so much for the free games. Still no real reason Steam is allowed to delete those folders, just like that. It still did. Nobody else is using that computer, and it gets its regular scans. Which usually end up nice and clean, for years now.

I bet its because I "skipped" a Steam client update or two before finally launching it again.

Since the local content folders of steam are the ONLY things affected, chances are its entirely Steam's fault. But thanks for that valuable comment anyway.

Well, you CAN technically uninstall Steam games through the Add/Remove Programs thing in the control panel (it does a really crappy job and leaves some random links and folders though, so I don't recommend it) and other ways I'd imagine, so from our perspective, it was possible that the games had been uninstalled without you really remembering it.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 01:21:44 pm »

I dont remember how I got from the bar/club thing to the subway, monday night, but that was the last time I had a blackout. The memories started again, about 2 stations into the subway ride.

No seriously, if I had removed those programs through the control panel or any other means I wouldnt have asked how this could have happened. In the meantime I googled the problem, and it seems to be happening a lot.

And not this "Steam servers are acting up and my client thinks it doesnt own any games" stuff, thats just bound to happen once in a while, no, it really deleted the local content.

I probably should have raised an eyebrow or two when the client wanted my username and password again, after the update. Something is very very fishy. But I'm not sopryzed, to put it in Jemaine Clements spelling.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 02:26:59 pm »

I've never had that sort of problem with Steam, and I've been using it for a few years and have 100+ Steam games. Certainly is strange.

It didn't for me, but I still have to download another effing 3GB just to play L4D2, which pisses me off since when my internet conked out over a week ago, it was only a couple of MB away from being finished updating when it dropped..

You sure you actually need to re download the 3GB of data? Sometimes when I get updates it'll display similar such sizes, but it only actually downloads around 100-50MB. It just fills the rest in(I assume after verifying your GCF).
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 02:28:03 pm »

I probably should have raised an eyebrow or two when the client wanted my username and password again, after the update.

You mean like it usually has in the past after an update?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 03:01:59 pm »

It seems like some people have no problems with Steam, but then other people just can't find something good about it.

It's weird, I wonder why Steam hates some people like that.
Shoes...

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 03:12:44 pm »

I've never had that sort of problem with Steam, and I've been using it for a few years and have 100+ Steam games. Certainly is strange.

You sure you actually need to re download the 3GB of data? Sometimes when I get updates it'll display similar such sizes, but it only actually downloads around 100-50MB. It just fills the rest in(I assume after verifying your GCF).

I don't think steam is able to do partial file updates, so if a game packs a lot of stuff in a large resource file you end up with large update downloads.

My steam behaved a little badly right after I moved my steam install to another, roomier disk (an awkward process in the first place).

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 03:16:13 pm »

I don't think steam is able to do partial file updates, so if a game packs a lot of stuff in a large resource file you end up with large update downloads.

I've had it happen with numerous updates to the Orange Box games, It'll have Half-Life 2 episode 2 and say it needs 4.4 gigs, but then I'll start the update, and it'll jump up to 4.2gigs/4.4 in a matter of minutes, and I don't have a magic internet connection.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4