Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What to do?  (Read 1176 times)

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What to do?
« on: October 07, 2010, 10:47:07 am »

I have a problem. It's quite typical one - i can't play DF cause it's TOO boring.
First 3 years were the most exciting ones. I had to care about food. God, it was pain in ass - dwarves refused to eat just plump helmets, i had to buy cows and donkeys (caravans). Then i tried hunting - it was bugged, so i had to make cage traps. I checked thoroughfully the migrations path of wild horses and deers. It was like a REAL hunt. And i felt unbelieveable joy when one more animal is caught - more meat for my beloved dwarves.

To trade with caravans i had to make lot of crafts. Wooden. Then encrust it with jewels. Real fun too.

Then goblin ambushers. God, i had to raise a professional army (the one that only trains, fights and do nothing more) to prevent murders.

Time passes, and gradually, i got for my dwarves EVERYTHING. Luxurious. masterpiece-engraved rooms, tons of masterpiece food, tons of booze, a perimeter wall, that prevent ANY invasion, a big army that is able to protect dwarves from every danger, nice palaces, farms, animal breeding, 50-z level magma pump. To make it short - all i have to do now: smelt all goblin iron items, make masterpiece iron shield, sell them to caravans, buy all food from caravans (and booze), protect caravans (that's 3 times per year - elven, dwarven and human) and that's all. No FUN. ROUTINE.

It drives me nut, i haven't played DF for month or more and i can't force myself. I do not want to abandon this fortress - it's 21 years old and has way more potential then young one, but i just can't think of anything anymore. Everything's left is to build a tomb zone and carry all dead dwarf body there and HAPPY END. Your overseer is coming back to West, live long and behave, nasty dwarves *sadface*

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
Re: What to do?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 10:49:19 am »

I see no megaproject.  Or *WEAPON of any kind.

Antary

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 10:51:40 am »

Kill everything that`s not Dwarf.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 10:51:54 am »

I see nothing about FBs, cavern fights, or visting the circus, or even about cotten candy >.>
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 10:54:09 am »

Nah, 3 opened caverns, about 10 killed MB, boring like hell.

Megaproject? I had enough pain in ass with building a 50-z level pump stack system, though after making all calculations, it went pretty smoth and fast. Any other ideas? MP should be fun, but not annoying and pointless. Rather practical and usefull.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 10:56:50 am »

The Fun and fun of the game comes from the fact it's a pain in the ass, but if you succeed completely you actuily acomplished something rather than had it handed to you. Try a megaproject, I bet that if you finish it you will feel a large swell of pride at being able to do it.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 11:01:02 am »

The entire game is about building.  If the building is pain to you, this might not be your game sorry to say.

Unfortunately, it's incomplete and therefore ridiculously easy in the aspects you seem to have touched on.

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 11:01:26 am »

Visit the Circus and throw peanuts at the animals.
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Gates and Windows?
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 11:05:09 am »

And if there is no circus, only SMR?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 11:05:48 am »

Generate a new world and start a new fort.  That what I do when I get bored of a fortress.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 11:16:24 am »

The entire game is about building.  If the building is pain to you, this might not be your game sorry to say.

Unfortunately, it's incomplete and therefore ridiculously easy in the aspects you seem to have touched on.

I thought about it too. It seems that i should leave DF world for 6-10 months. Maybe by this time, Toady will make something even MORE awesome.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 11:17:30 am »

If you don't like building but like toady's games why not try adventure mode? Or LCS?
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 11:22:54 am »

If you don't like building but like toady's games why not try adventure mode? Or LCS?

No no, i LIKE building. But i just can't find appropriate megaproject or challenge... Adventure mode... i can't play it) I am used to 3D Adventure-RPG.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 11:31:23 am »

When a fortress becomes boring, it's time to start another one (if you like the start better than the established megaproject phase.)

Try something different this time. Embark with 1 copper nugget, 1 anvil, and the wagon. Bonus points for doing so in an inhospitable biome.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 11:37:38 am »

I'm attempting to build a grand temple to Armok in my fortress, mineing out alot of red stone and buying alot of it. It will be filled with statues of fallen enemies and acts of slaughter. It will have a masterwork(unless I can get an artifact somehow) Adamantine throne encrusted with Star Rubies. Though Slade would be more appropriate I can't figure out how to mod in useing it. The throne's use will be forbidden. It will have huge clear glass window's that span multible Z-levels. All and all, it will be beautiful, and if I can I will cover it in the blood of captured enemies. Part of the temple will be a grand collusiem for bloodshed in Armok's name.
Because I can"-WolfTengu
Pages: [1] 2