Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Weapon/Armor Materials  (Read 3447 times)

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon/Armor Materials
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 04:45:19 pm »

SnuffleKitty,

when I am in your position in my forts, I use the silver to make silver warhammers, outfit my militia with bone armor, and set up cage traps for all invaders. Caged goblins get drowned, and then i harvest their goods, as that seems the safest way to get their stuff. You can then outfit your militia with goblin made stuff, or melt down their iron and copper items to do what you want--- like make bronze bars to turn into large bronze serrated discs (since you have the tin) for weapon traps to replace the cage traps near the entrance/invasion trapped paths.

Of course, your militia will upgrade from bone defenses to iron defenses. Haven't caught them moving to copper yet.

I prefer to rely on architecture to defend my fortress. As a consequence, I only need a militia to handle beserking dwarves, and bone armor is all they need for that. Bladed weapons end fights quickly, but hammers will get the job done no matter what it is they have to whack.

I have been intending to try turning silver into giant balls with spikes to see if the "giant ball" bit means it is a great "bludgeon" trap, or if it would be poor as the giant ball with spikes means it is a spike attack. If it is the latter, then I suppose 10 green glass giant balls with spikes would get the job done for traps, leaving me to save my iron bars for conversion to steel once flux is secured.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

kmob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 07:56:41 am »

@ zilpin: Bronze, copper and silver all make good bolts, silver being best against flesh and bronze against goblin-level armour. Iron, steel and adamantine are worse, probably on account of being too light.

Interesting. Is there any research on this? I've always thought that making steel bolts was the "best".  :)

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 08:02:07 am »

@ zilpin: Bronze, copper and silver all make good bolts, silver being best against flesh and bronze against goblin-level armour. Iron, steel and adamantine are worse, probably on account of being too light.

Interesting. Is there any research on this? I've always thought that making steel bolts was the "best".  :)
Despite the fact they pierce like spears, density is important to bolts like it is with hammers and maces.

kmob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 10:53:18 am »

Despite the fact they pierce like spears, density is important to bolts like it is with hammers and maces.
Ah, so it's like a combination of blunt and edged weapons then?

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 10:54:19 am »

Ah, so it's like a combination of blunt and edged weapons then?
In action, yes.  You still want to use silver, bronze or copper for em.  Which is nice because those are all much cheaper than steel.

SnuffleKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 11:41:41 am »

I'm disappointed that it isn't possible to encrust weapons with jewels.

Anyways, I found a new exciting material with which to armor my dwarves, so it's all good.

My current population is 54.

I have three squads. The first is a speardwarf squad, the second is a hammerdwarf squad, and the last is a marksdwarf squad. Each squad is made up of 5 dwarves, so that's 15 militia total for a population of 54.

My architecture is a joke though, so until I get that sorted, I'm going to be depending on my militia to defend the Fortress.

- Snuffles

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 02:32:46 pm »

Quite a lot of observed fights between standardised dwarves, but not rigorous evaluation... everything is based on 'last team standing' rather than individual wound analysis. I am certain steel isn't a very good material against humanoids in armour up to iron (haven't tested it much against high-end armour, and also not against megabeasts - things may be different there). Long series of test fights hinted at a significant difference between copper, bronze and silver... but it's too small to predict how an individual fight would go.

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 03:17:52 am »

I just had a bit of a test of this silver vs steel bolts theory and it appears that against unarmoured targets silver is better, but against iron or better armour one should stick to steel.  So my not-all-that-scientific series of tests says use steel on goblins.

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 03:48:11 am »

I just had a bit of a test of this silver vs steel bolts theory and it appears that against unarmoured targets silver is better, but against iron or better armour one should stick to steel.  So my not-all-that-scientific series of tests says use steel on goblins.

My circumstantial evidence disagrees with yours. =/
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.
Pages: 1 [2]