Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pausing the game for mandates  (Read 1134 times)

DwarfGirl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Pausing the game for mandates
« on: October 06, 2010, 04:42:30 am »

Hi everyone :)
I've been playing DF for about 8 months now and I'm hopelessly addicted! I've finally come across a problem I can't find any help for by searching the threads and scouring the wiki. Is there any way to pause the game when my mayor/annoying noble sets a new mandate? I've searched through announcements.txt but I simply can't find anything relating to mandates. I like to set my dwarves a task and then get on with *things I have to do that don't involve DF* and have customised my announcements quite a bit so that I can pop back and check on things often and not worry about too much going horribly wrong, but this is the one thing I can't control! Thanks in advance for any help :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 04:44:55 am by DwarfGirl »

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pausing the game for mandates
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 06:46:58 am »

Not that I know of, but I think you could disable mandates with a small amount of raw tinkering. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 07:07:13 am »

You could also disable, you know, your nobles.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 07:22:57 am »

Hi everyone :)
I'm hopelessly addicted!
And Dwarf Fortress snares another victim.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 08:42:06 am »

Not that I know of, but I think you could disable mandates with a small amount of raw tinkering.

Unfortunately, you can't get rid of the ones in your current game by raw editing alone. You need to generate a new world.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

DwarfGirl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 02:47:27 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys :) I didn't think it was possible but I had to ask to be sure. I don't mind the mandates too much as long as they're not impossible that is! They add a little more *FUN* when I have a smooth fort up and running. It's annoying to have to keep checking my nobles screen as I don't always notice the messages at the bottom. There's nothing more annoying that one expiring because I didn't notice it :/
Thanks anyway though guys :)

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 03:19:36 pm »

If the mandates are annoying or impposible, do the dwarven thing.  Engineer "unfortunate accidents" like locking them in their room with a goblin.  Or stick a mess of upright spears in their room and have their spouse pull the lever for it on repeat.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 06:40:27 pm »

do nobles have to be awake to make mandates? If so, I have an idea. it rhymes with rain spamage...

kapusta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 07:31:11 pm »

The easiest thing to do is to not appoint a Captain of the Guard, and then you'll be free to ignore stupid mandates, and only fulfill the ones you find easy/fun.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 07:32:51 pm by kapusta »

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 07:39:55 pm »

Keep your population below 40 so you don't ever get a mayor--or higher noble--would also work, and has the advantage of keeping your framerate higher on slow computers.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 09:53:41 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:54:34 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.