Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Embark with most critters?  (Read 1897 times)

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embark with most critters?
« on: October 05, 2010, 10:11:15 am »

I'm getting ready to try a butcher industry/zoo fort and I'm wondering what's the best way to get the largest variety of creatures at both embark [to hunt and trap], and to trade through caravans?

I do have access to the Perfect World utility if I can do some setting up with that... but simply what's the best nuetral/good/evil benign/neutral/savage combination and biome?
Cage traps are my magma.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark with most critters?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 10:34:21 am »

Good-aligned jungle's pretty great, unicorns and elephants and a bunch of other jungle shit.  High savagery will give you more stuff like giant lions and whatnot.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 10:39:17 am »

giant lions are deeply flawed....

male lacks mane despites their description  :P

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 11:02:23 am »

Good-aligned jungle's pretty great, unicorns and elephants and a bunch of other jungle shit.  High savagery will give you more stuff like giant lions and whatnot.

Combine with a savage desert for camels and giant desert scorpions.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Diacritic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 11:06:07 am »

Are Dungeon Masters still bugged?  I've never gotten one, but just getting a baron is such a PITA that I don't always bother.

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 11:36:04 am »

Yeah, I'm wondering about dungeon masters too.

If they're still bugged I guess I could try my next experiment with raw-editing.
Cage traps are my magma.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 11:45:03 am »

It's easy enough to manually replace [Pet_Exotic] with [pet] in the RAWs.

Unfortunately, Giant Desert Scorpions seem to have lost their fear-factor in my current fort. They flee when civilians approach to pick up wood, or whatever.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 11:47:37 am »

There's even a tool in the modding forum to remove the exotic tags for you... (NoExotics)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 02:32:31 pm »

Good-aligned jungle's pretty great, unicorns and elephants and a bunch of other jungle shit.

For some inexplicable reason, this line made me giggle.

Only advice I can offer is don't do mountains. Also, cage traps everywhere for them sieges and stuff.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 02:36:37 pm »

mountains can give you giant eagles though...get a mountainous corner but make sure you have 1-2 other biomes such as tropical forest/shrubland.  Temperate gives bears though...
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 03:38:54 pm »

mountain gives you eagles that's true, but they also require dungeon master AND a PITA to capture. You might find it most reliable to delegate eagle taming to the elves while you yourself grab tamable beasts elsewhere. The best embark place is most likely at an untamed wild river mouth with one bank being tropical forest and the other bank temperate forest. You get all the good tamable stuff.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 03:41:13 pm »

mountain gives you eagles that's true, but they also require dungeon master AND a PITA to capture. You might find it most reliable to delegate eagle taming to the elves while you yourself grab tamable beasts elsewhere. The best embark place is most likely at an untamed wild river mouth with one bank being tropical forest and the other bank temperate forest. You get all the good tamable stuff.
On the ocean, to get even more.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 03:58:38 pm »

river mouth is the intersection of a river with an ocean :)
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 03:59:28 pm »

Go for biome quality over biome quantity.  Embarking on four separate biomes doesn't help if all they generate are foxes, deer, marmots and mountain goats.  You also get more animals on a larger embark.

Tropical moist broadleaf forests seem to have the widest array of species (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Forest#Tropical_moist_broadleaf_forests) for a land biome, but I haven't checked them all.  Tropical anything, actually, seems to be better, because that's where the rainbow of monkeys are.  Savagery gets you the giant versions of lions, tigers, etc.

Keep in mind you'll have to mod almost all of these cool animals to be [PET] instead of [PET_EXOTIC], and that the wiki lists are not complete...  f'rex, you get jaguars in any tropical and presumably giant jaguars in any savage tropical, but they're not listed on that master list for a tropical broadleaf forest.

Oceans/lakes also have a CRAPLOAD of animals, if you're up for getting them out of there/possible desalination.

Pay attention to relations with elves, even pre-embark--pretty sure you trade with their nearest civ, and you get what they have access to.  There is nothing more disappointing than having those pointy-eared bastards bring you donkeys and horses and MULES.  :[

Trapping the caverns isn't a bad idea, either--generate a world where the caves have more twisty passages than open spaces, drop clusters of cage traps at chokepoints, and have doors/emergency airlock bridges set up for FB time.  (If you want more headroom, I think the minimum reqs. for titan attack also apply to FBs.)  Keep in mind that a lot of underground creatures will make a beeline for your fort--a trapped tunnel leading to a forbidden door that can be bridge-blocked with a lever is like a magical magnet for voracious cave crawlers/crundles/giant cave swallows/bats/rats/pretty much every single C2/C3 creature.

Stockpile space/designations and the animal housing are what gets me every time.

Unless things have changed in this version, animals will give birth while caged, but won't conceive more litters.  They have to be tame to breed.  (Worth finding out:  do sieging animals knock up tamed ones, like wild animals do?)

Owned tamed animals wander around after their owner, doing vile things to your FPS, while stray tame animals on chains keep generating paths that they'd like to wander on, using up valuable PC power before the chain tells them that no, you can't go there.  I believe one-tile pits are popular.  I'm going to experiment at some point with restricted-traffic meeting areas to keep critters in their pits/1-tile cells with pet-forbidden doors.

So: Tropical savage jungle, shrubland, and ocean/lake would be my suggestion.  Alignments can be nice, but good doen't give you many more creatures, and evil means you have to test-embark to make sure you get fantasy-evil with werewolves, instead of wasteland-full-of-zombie-deer-evil.  (Also werewolves are a pain in the arse.)  Mountains would be a plus, but not strictly necessary.  Also, see what animals the starting civs in your world can offer you.  Muskoxen and camels, afaik, you can only get from elves or trapping after embark.

...Can you tell that a passion for building a menagerie has been the death of many of my forts?   ;P  Updates please when you start, for !!science!!?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 05:21:21 pm »

Camels and muskoxen can be purchased from some dwarves civs, it's all luck and biome access.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: [1] 2