Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: You Are a Village! - Day 2, Week 1, Month 1: Settling In  (Read 3230 times)

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You Are a Village! - Day 2, Week 1, Month 1: Settling In
« on: October 05, 2010, 07:41:52 am »

You are the leader of a small group of individuals that has been sent away to the new world to establish and maintain a great citadel for the Empire. Of course, you are only a small group now, meaning you will have to start small - but soon enough, people will come, and your village shall grow into a township, and that township into a city, and that city into a great metropolis!

After your long trek through a great mountain range, you finally find salvation - an amazing field that stretches on for miles, it's rolling hills covered with wild flowers of varying colours. It is truly a sight to behold. In the distance you can just barely make out a shimmering lake, and east of that a huge forest. You slowly start your climb down the precarious mountain path, excited about the new prospect of life.

Almost immediately after feeling the soft earth beneath your feet, a powerful force knocks you off of them again! You look back and get a glimpse of what knocked you down - bandits on horseback! It's an ambush! They kill your pack mules and steal half of your food and drink supplies, all while you are forced to cower, backs against the cliff face. It all happens so fast, and within seconds you are left alone in the wilderness with barely enough supplies to last you two weeks. As you hear a wolf's howl somewhere across the plains, the sun is quickly setting in the blue sky and you realize that this place, as beautiful as it seems, is no paradise.

---

Welcome, one and all, to You Are a Village! Will you lead your brave sons and daughters to glory for the Empire, or will your hamlet crumble beneath the cold grip of the new world?

Please choose a starting location:

Spoiler: Note - Please Read (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 06:00:10 am by OmnipotentGrue »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: You Are a Village! - Month 1: Settling In
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 09:18:39 am »

At the southeast corner of the big forest, there are two single tile trees hanging out.  One tile south of the west one.

Shouldn't this me in Forum Games instead of RTD?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 09:45:24 am by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 09:24:50 am »

Yeah this should so be in Forum games cause its not fully a RTD I don't think...

At the southeast corner of the big forest, there are two single tile trees hanging out.  One tile south of the west one.

I like this spot...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 09:46:09 am »

I added a picture to make it more obvious.  That spot has pretty good access to everything- river, trees, and the eventual need for the lake and mountains.

What's the approximate scale of the map?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 09:54:48 am »

I think one further square south than that, equidistant between that tree and the river. Although the original description seems to imply we are way up in the north west so that might be a trek away. If it's a long distance I'd recommend we setup camp elsewhere, maybe where the lake curves into the forests west side.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 10:02:44 am »

Thinking ahead, we need to concentrate on three things at first- water, food, and shelter, in that order.  Water should be easy, with the river being close by- if it's not good water, we're probably hosed from the get-go.  Second, we need to secure a food supply.  Foraging in the forest plus milking the livestock should get us through the first month, at least- enough to get real crops started.  Hopefully there are fish in the river as well.  Finally, shelter.  We should be able to scavenge up enough supplies to throw together a few tents or lean-tos to give us a place to sleep.  That'll hold us until we can build more permanent shelter.

Basically, we try to get the three most basic needs covered quickly, so we can then focus on more permanent solutions to the problems we face.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 10:30:16 am »

Add some form of fire to that list, we don't want those wolves getting too close and with luck that would aid in keeping them at bay.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 04:50:26 pm »

Wow, you guys are putting a lot of thought into this, that's good  :D Also, do you think I should move this to Forum Games? I was going to roll for each action you chose...

Edit: I have school, so there won't be an update for a while, sorry guys.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 04:54:42 pm by OmnipotentGrue »

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 08:09:34 pm »

I think it would still fall under Forum Games not RTD.  RTD usually involves taking control of one person and almost always has an element of combat in it so that you must Roll To Dodge.  If we're just in control of a village though then we would have a hard time with the whole rolling to dodge part. (The village dodges and lands in the lake.*glub glub* you die)

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 08:48:35 pm »

well, who cares/ i agree wiht toasters choice so let's get going.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 01:23:45 am »

Okay then, I'm back and I have no assignments due any time soon so I can dedicate most of my time to this.

What's the approximate scale of the map?

1 tile = 0.60 kilometers (Half a mile). Therefore, it takes roughly 40 minutes to cross 2 tiles if traveling with beasts of burden, or 20 minutes for a group of people.

---
Day 1, Week 1, Month 1

After discussing your options with the rest of your group, you decide on a small flat of land you can see just past the large forest. You head off towards there, but the sun has already set and your vision is impaired. It would be dangerous to continue on like this, and so you are forced to set up camp.

Time: 8:40 PM

It is night.

(The yellow 'X' is you.)

---

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

What do you choose to do?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 03:27:33 am by OmnipotentGrue »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 03:05:20 am »

I'm confused, an update is a week but a night lasts two updates?
Does it consume two weeks worth of food as that would cause us problems.

Also I think we shouldn't travel to the original target now, that looks like it will be well over another week of travel and food is short enough as it is.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 03:10:24 am »

I'm confused, an update is a week but a night lasts two updates?
Does it consume two weeks worth of food as that would cause us problems.

Also I think we shouldn't travel to the original target now, that looks like it will be well over another week of travel and food is short enough as it is.

Ugh, I totally keep forgetting these things. Damn, this time system is so screwed up right now... I'll probably stop updating until I can figure out a good way to do this, sorry guys. I was thinking about dragging this out really long and having 1 update as half a day, but then crops would take ages to grow... It's hard trying to think of a system where I can keep the long term actions and the short term actions together, but not have the time all muddled up... if any of you know of a good working system, it would be really helpful so that I can properly start this.

Edit: Re-reading over my previous posts has shown me that it makes a lot less sense then I actually thought it did. I mean, I knew it was screwed, but it's really badly screwed. I think I might have to mess around with my previous posts to amend this massive mistake.

But at least we're off to a good start.

Edit 2:
Spoiler: Super duper rule edit: (click to show/hide)

Edit 3: Feel free to re-read my previous post, as it now shows the time!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 03:40:20 am by OmnipotentGrue »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are a Village! - Day 1, Week 1, Month 1: Settling In
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 04:41:15 am »

What about if we can use Days to do Fine Detail jobs but can do Major jobs that are able to be done without Fine Control only on the beginning of a week and it takes a week...

For example, the first week of Month one we spend 7 updates doing fine detail work and then for week two we do Major jobs that need alot of time and alot of commitment, then we can either choose to use the next week after that for more Major Jobs or start doing some Fine control and so on...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are a Village! - Day 1, Week 1, Month 1: Settling In
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 04:47:10 am »

What about if we can use Days to do Fine Detail jobs but can do Major jobs that are able to be done without Fine Control only on the beginning of a week and it takes a week...

For example, the first week of Month one we spend 7 updates doing fine detail work and then for week two we do Major jobs that need alot of time and alot of commitment, then we can either choose to use the next week after that for more Major Jobs or start doing some Fine control and so on...

Hmmm, I actually quite like this idea. Of course, this wouldn't leave a lot of room for having multiple types of jobs being done at the same time if you consider the future of your settlement e.g. when you have 100 citizens, if we use this system you won't be able to, say, construct a temple while controlling your other citizens.
Pages: [1] 2