Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Daming a river without magma.  (Read 2110 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Daming a river without magma.
« on: October 04, 2010, 02:48:48 pm »

So I have this trio of major rivers here, all merging, two going over waterfalls (one 2z-level and a 5z-level and it's killing my FPS, so I want to dam them at their sources but have no magma.

I'm unsure how to do it.

EDIT:

I'm getting 15 fps, but I have a movie playing in the background and that's not fair, so it's like 60 fps actually.  Or it was when I didn't have a movie on last night.  But that's still unacceptable considering I have only 30 Dwarves, 7 cats and 10 !!Goblin!!s on the map.

Also, it's a tropical embark.

Oh, and there are hippos.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 02:55:54 pm by Vehudur »
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Daming a river without magma.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 02:57:03 pm »

put waterwheels upstream, connect them to pumps along the side of the river downstream.  Connect that to some sufficient drainage area, preferably many z levels down.  Turn the pumps on, your water wheels should still work, watch the river dry up.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 03:01:36 pm »

Did I mention the river is 39 tiles wide?
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 03:09:11 pm »

Are there any rock shelves overhanging the rivers? Aside from that, all i can suggest is going down to the magma and pumping some up.
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Gates and Windows?
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 03:14:31 pm »

Are there any rock shelves overhanging the rivers? Aside from that, all i can suggest is going down to the magma and pumping some up.

No, which is no help :P

Alright, well, at least I know I can power the waterwheels.  I might build windmills instead.  lots of windmills.

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 03:17:14 pm »

Could dig a big pit down to the circus and dump the river in there ;)

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 03:18:07 pm »

That'd just be ultimate framerate death
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Gates and Windows?
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 03:22:16 pm »

It is tempting to flood the caverns.

It WOULD drain off the map eventually right?

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 03:25:57 pm »

It is tempting to flood the caverns.

It WOULD drain off the map eventually right?

Well there are plenty of ways to drain the river off the map. It is already draining itself off the map. But that would just lag you out and cause Fun.

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 03:28:54 pm »

put waterwheels upstream, connect them to pumps along the side of the river downstream.  Connect that to some sufficient drainage area, preferably many z levels down.  Turn the pumps on, your water wheels should still work, watch the river dry up.

Did I mention the river is 39 tiles wide?

Actually, should still work.  It'd be a mini-megaproject.  Construct a floor over the river, use that to build a series of pumps over the water (powered by several doubled waterwheels) which pump the water from upstream to a channel that takes the water off to the side of the river to be drained off the map or whatever.

~~.###
~~pP.#~~
~~|#.#~~
~~pP.#~~
~~|#.#~~
~~pP.#~~
~~|#.#~~
--*#.##
,,,#--->to drainage
,,,####

« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 03:32:23 pm by drvoke »
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 03:29:37 pm »

Well there are plenty of ways to drain the river off the map. It is already draining itself off the map. But that would just lag you out and cause Fun.

Well, if I can get it to drain off in fewer tiles than it is now (It's doing a U shape around the map, so that's not hard to do), it should improve the situation some.  I hope.
Actually, should still work.  It'd be a mini-megaproject.  Construct a floor over the river, use that to build a series of pumps over the water (powered by several doubled waterwheels) which pump the water from upstream to a channel that takes the water off to the side of the river to be drained off the map or whatever.

~~.###
~~pP.#
~~|#.#
~~pP.#
~~|#.#
~~pP.#
~~|#.##
--*#--->to drainage
,,,###

That sounds fun.

Except the hippos.

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 03:31:43 pm »

Make a channel under the river that dumps it in the cavern, and ends just under the river, which can be sealed by floodgates, then build a walkway over the river and collapse it through the floor of the river.  The river should be diverted at least temporarily and drain out allowing you to install floodgates or walls in it.

Then close the floodgates in the channel you made so the river stops flowing into your cavern, cause that'll kill your framerate too.

The design should probably look like this from the side:
Code: [Select]
_____
    I
~~~~X
____

With ~ being the river bed, the X being the bank, I being a support, and _ being floors.  When you collapse it it should punch a whole in the bottom of the river while spans the whole length so the flow will be diverted.

Pumps are also workable, but my experience with that is the setup can be extremely frustrating and it's hard to pump out everything fast enough.  Especially if your river is really wide...

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 03:46:24 pm »

I guess I'll play the "lets punch a giant hole in the riverbed" game by channeling under it, building a platform over it and then collapsing it.  Think that'll work?  Or do constructed things not punch holes?

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 03:47:47 pm »

If I were you I'd just use the pumps stretching across the river to temporarily empty out the down stream part then create a constructed wall dam there then remove the pumps.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 04:20:54 pm by arzzult »
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 03:57:18 pm »

I guess I'll play the "lets punch a giant hole in the riverbed" game by channeling under it, building a platform over it and then collapsing it.  Think that'll work?  Or do constructed things not punch holes?
Now you're thinking like a dwarf.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.
Pages: [1] 2