Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Last Hero: Chapter one: A Empty Hall  (Read 3674 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
The Last Hero: Chapter one: A Empty Hall
« on: September 30, 2010, 09:23:18 pm »

"The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones..
-Confucius

In a plane between planes, above Heaven yet below Hell, between both Krynn and Fae'run, dividing Middle Earth from Eden, there is but a single building.

In this lone building, a construct without space, without dimension, there is naught but a maze of cracks and crevices, halls lined with statues. Statues of heroes from all walks of life. Dark Elves, Dwarves, Krogans, Wookies, Orcs and Humans, Ogres and Kobolds and Ferrin. Every sentient species ever thought of had a statue in this hall. Humans took the cup for the majority of heroes, but they represented but a small percentage of the whole.

Only one thing lived here, wandering about the statues, dusting them and keeping them dry. He was a old man, of Goblin heritage, with a great grey beard usually unattainable by the race. One eye was perpetually squinted, and his teeth were almost horizontal, sticking from his brown mouth like wild weeds.
Like most of this particular breed of Goblin, he had long, horizontal ears, pointed like a bats. He grumbled to himself as he worked, dusting a statue of a Dark elf holding two scimitars high into the sky. Around him were statues of various races, but they were each smaller and less detailed, and the one of a massive human was cracked and clumsily glued back together.

The goblins name was Grumble, for he forgot his real name long ago, when he was taken here. He had been keeping this place for mellenia, waiting for the final statue to appear in the center of the hall. The dias stood blank all this time, a small fountain underneath providing a nice trickle to accompany the steady music of Grumbles namesake.

Of course, the plot advances as it always does. The statue appeared on the dias, a blank square of rock, yet to be molded by the hands of whatever author was good enough to write such a thing. Grumble grumbled at this as well, and threw a kick at the fourth wall for good measure. This had, of course, happened before, with some young enterprising sprout preparing to write the final tome, but it never panned out. The closest finished story to that was written by a middle aged british woman, and the obligatory statue of Mr. Potter stood quite aways away from the Dais. The unfinished stone blocks had to be carted off into the massive warehouse where they were crushed by a massive machine.

Grumble stopped to watch as the stone began to mold itself into whatever form this new hero was to take...

What will this new heroes face be?

Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Hero: Chapter one: A Empty Hall
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 09:28:38 pm »

We have to choose a face? Uhh... Young, black hair, male/female, wise-looking, human Dark Elf. I guess?
(I just noticed that nearly all the forum games up are about male humans. If not male humans, then robots, or demons. Let's change it up a bit.)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 09:48:39 pm by Lillipad »
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 09:33:51 pm »

Yeah, uh. Any sentient species?
Eh, erm, argh.

An exceptionally intelligent independent Alien Warrior/Praetorian, with a ridged skull to represent the creatures age and wisdom?

What? They're sentient and intelligent on demand, and they don't have to be heroes to every race.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 09:42:15 pm »

I think we should be an ancient robotic killing machine turned to the path of (violent) peace and love.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 09:42:47 pm »

Living crystal bent upon universal genocide!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 09:44:23 pm »

Uh... RAM?
Statues of heroes from all walks of life.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 09:45:24 pm »

I think we should be an ancient robotic killing machine turned to the path of (violent) peace and love.
Transformers like.
Living crystal bent upon universal genocide!
Similar to something from Prospector, living malevolent crystal that assimilates many things. Files procured from: Omega Bioengineering.

Uh... RAM?
Statues of heroes from all walks of life.
Well it could be a hero to it's own kind!
But I don't support it anyway.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 10:32:29 pm »

It is a hero to the genocide movement, which is universally discriminated against!

Alright! Fine! You can have your lousy hero, and your robot, and your crystal too! We will be a Chmmr captain, Commander of the first of the Avatars. Thought slain in battle against the Kzer-za dreadnought...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 10:35:02 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 01:54:54 pm »

The statue begins to twist and crack. Long, flowing hair forms, along with a pair of pointed ears. Her eyes are inset rubies, which sparkle in the ambient light. Grumble growls. Another dark elf.

But then, there is something unique. The skin around her left eye begins to form the symmetric ridges and lines that Grumble had come to associate with cybernetics. A Drow with cybernetic implants? Grumble lets loose a rare noise of curiosity.

The statue forms further, into a lithe form, feminine. Her legs are long and thin, but her breasts are full. Grumble shakes his head at that one. Never a good sign for a complete story. Looking back, he saw her arm form into a clockwork design of gears and wheels and pulleys, with long metal claws for fingers.

He shuffled around the statue, and found the nameplate. Still blank, which meant that the storyteller had a rare style, especially for a human, who would want to give off as much 'knowledge' as he/she could. Grumble glanced again at the fourth wall, but it merely looked back impassively, and Grumble returned his gaze to his physical world, disturbed.

A name was forming...

What is it?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 01:59:59 pm »

The face had long, horizontal ears, pointed like a bats, and a great grey beard usually unattainable by the goblin race. One eye was squinted, and his teeth were almost horizontal, sticking from his brown mouth like wild weeds.

EDIT: DAMMIT NINJAD! >:(

Fine, name: $[3/-&&__%%
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:02:26 pm by Armok »
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 02:09:01 pm »

Since Armok seems to be in a fey mood at the moment, name the character Sen or something bizarre like that.
You really enjoy details don't you Karne?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 02:11:25 pm »

Armok, how the hell would you pronounce that name?

And Grumble is not the hero. yet

@NINJA: I do indeed write with many details. Be this good, or bad?
Thou art I, I art Thou.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 02:16:56 pm »

@NINJA: I do indeed write with many details. Be this good, or bad?

Details are good, especially since your forum games are detail oriented. But since you make such large updates you sometimes forget to organize all the information. You should include some choices so we know what can and can't be chosen. For instance we had no idea what races we could be. I chose Dark Elf because it wasn't human.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 02:47:06 pm »

It's pronounced like a modem starting up sounds.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 07:34:58 pm »

How about we name this hero 'Gorbachev'? That's a strong name.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: [1] 2 3