Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What do I need more of to make DF run faster?  (Read 8466 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What do I need more of to make DF run faster?
« on: September 29, 2010, 12:20:05 pm »

I'm going to upgrade my computer soon, what is it that DF taxes the most that causes the FPS rot over time? I imagine it's either RAM or CPU, but I'm likely wrong.

Anyone know?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: What do I need more of to make DF run faster?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 12:50:31 pm »

In my experience CPU is the limiting factor.  I have 8GB RAM and an i7-720QM processor.  If you want to maximize Dwarf Fortress power, go for high ram, and high individual core speed (as well as a high cache value.  Try for at least 4M L2 if possible, but L3 is decent.)  Getting these high speeds is a lot easier with i3, i5, or duo processors than with an i7 (unless you are willing to spend some $)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

JabberWockey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 12:53:22 pm »

In my experience CPU is the limiting factor.  I have 8GB RAM and an i7-720QM processor.  If you want to maximize Dwarf Fortress power, go for high ram, and high individual core speed (as well as a high cache value.  Try for at least 4M L2 if possible, but L3 is decent.)  Getting these high speeds is a lot easier with i3, i5, or duo processors than with an i7 (unless you are willing to spend some $)

I envy your processing power, since I run off of a Core2Duo.

But I can confirm this - DF runs on one thread and will tax the shit out of it.  Go for individual processing speed for threads (core) over more cores.  Never had DF fill more than 2 GB ram though, so 4GB should run you fine.

I've been looking at laptops because I need a new one, and all I can think about is how fast will this run dwarf fortress?

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 12:54:38 pm »

I've the same as you except 6GB DDR3, on my laptop.  my FPS starts to drop below 10 once I get higher than 15k units of stone undug

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 01:02:48 pm »

atomsmashers/megaprojects are your friend at that point...I made a mistake with reaction modding and suddenly acquired 18k steel bars.  >_> (note, just because dwarfs are lazy and dont carry out a reaction but manage to trick you into thinking they did, does not mean you broke it and need to increase the product amount by 30000%) it KILLED my fps.  So, while my computer is amazing at multi tasking, if a program runs on a single thread unless I am turbo boosting/overclocking my processor it is not a happy fps.
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 01:09:11 pm »

From the analysis thread, CPU is a heavy factor, as well as the oft-forgotten memory speed. Having a higher memory clock might mean more than having more GB of it. Multi-cores and hyperthreading are useless; DF uses one core only.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 01:20:22 pm »

From the analysis thread, CPU is a heavy factor, as well as the oft-forgotten memory speed. Having a higher memory clock might mean more than having more GB of it. Multi-cores and hyperthreading are useless; DF uses one core only.

I believe mine is 1066MHz memory speed.  And that is why I advised for high speed core(s) rather than more cores.  Overclocking could also be beneficial possibly...
[DWARFINEERING]

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 01:27:01 pm »

I see, so a single, very fast core would be superior to multiple average speed cores?

Going from my really rather rudimentary knowledge of computer software, is it possible for any program to run on more than one core at once?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 01:32:08 pm »

Oh yes. Multithreading is the de facto standard. Almost everything released these days uses it. There's threads in which various forum members screech at Toady for it, to no avail.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 01:36:39 pm »

Oh yes. Multithreading is the de facto standard. Almost everything released these days uses it. There's threads in which various forum members screech at Toady for it, to no avail.

I see. So in order for me to play DF at a good speed and also be able to play modern games aswell, I need a multicore processor, that runs at a high speed? Any recommendations?

Mynoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 01:59:42 pm »

Wow; all this means almost nothing to me.  I know how to /use/ a computer, but I don't really know how they actually work.

So if I printed this info out and took it to a computer place, would they know what you're all talking about? ;)

I've been running DF off my little LG Netbook.  It's pretty slow.  Where do I go in to find my specifications?
I have weird, teleporting dwarven doppelgangers!

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 02:16:37 pm »

I see. So in order for me to play DF at a good speed and also be able to play modern games aswell, I need a multicore processor, that runs at a high speed? Any recommendations?

Well, luckily, it's not as hard to choose as you might think. There's no such thing as a modern, ultra-fast, single-core CPU - there's a damn good reason the industry moved to multi-core CPUs, and it wasn't to screw over programmers (despite what some of us think!). So it's not a matter of 'trading off' single-core and multi-core speeds, or 'deciding between' modern games and DF.
(That said, modern games are graphically-intense, while DF (obviously) isn't. You'll have to spend money on a GPU if you want modern games, whereas DF could probably run on embedded graphics handily. Still not really a trade-off, though, more like an additional requirement.)

And having a multicore CPU is still slightly helpful, since you can give DF its own core and let a second core handle OS/background applications. It's less of an additional benefit once you hit quad-core or higher, though.

Wow; all this means almost nothing to me.  I know how to /use/ a computer, but I don't really know how they actually work.

So if I printed this info out and took it to a computer place, would they know what you're all talking about? ;)

I've been running DF off my little LG Netbook.  It's pretty slow.  Where do I go in to find my specifications?

Hehe, no, they'd probably look at you like you were nuts and then try to sell you a MacBook.  ;D

There's a few good sites online that can poll your system specs. As for upgrading... are you looking for another netbook? A laptop? You won't be building your own portable computer, of course, so decide what you can afford and see what's available at that price.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 03:26:24 pm »

So what would a good model of processor be to get? Pretend money isn't an issue, for now :P

As for GPU, I already have an ATI Radeon HD5600 which seems to get the job done on whatever game I throw at it (mostly RTS games like Napoleon Total War and Civ V) so I assume that'll be fine with DF?

I also only have 2GB of RAM, I assume that could do with being expanded?

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 03:41:00 pm »

It may not increase your FPS much unless you're hitting the limits of your memory, but another 2GB of RAM would help you in just everyday usage of your machine. Little reason to not have at least 4GB.

As far as a CPU goes, an i7 950 is a good bet. Runs about $300, stock speed is 3.06GHz. Though of course since CPU speed is so important for Dorf Fort, it helps if you're not afraid of overclocking. If you're going for an i7, it uses triple channel memory so you'll want to get 3x2GB sticks for a total of 6GB.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 04:37:36 pm »

I see. I'll have to do some saving for one of those, but it'll help in the long run I guess :)

I'll have to google around for how to change a processor, it's one of the few parts of a computer I haven't upgraded.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4