Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 214884 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #2265 on: November 20, 2016, 02:33:44 pm »

nvm
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: November 22, 2016, 09:28:54 am »

http://imgur.com/S7NUiY2

How does one even "Determine the limit of the sequence using sandwich theorem"? Isn't the entire point of the sandwich theorem to prove limits you already know? YHow would you even use it if you didn't know the limit already?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2267 on: November 22, 2016, 09:31:44 am »

How does one even "Determine the limit of the sequence using sandwich theorem"? Isn't the entire point of the sandwich theorem to prove limits you already know? How would you even use it if you didn't know the limit already?
If you can find two functions such that the sequence is "squeezed" between them, and the two functions have the same limit, the sequence will have that limit.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: November 22, 2016, 09:34:07 am »

http://imgur.com/S7NUiY2

How does one even "Determine the limit of the sequence using sandwich theorem"? Isn't the entire point of the sandwich theorem to prove limits you already know? YHow would you even use it if you didn't know the limit already?

If it's a weird-looking sequence, but you know intuitively that it behaves like some other, nicer sequences in the limit, then you can use the sandwich theorem to formally prove your intuition right by putting your wacky sequence between two slices of conveniently chosen well-behaved sequence.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: November 22, 2016, 09:36:55 am »

oh, okay, so all I need to do is eyeball the limit and then find two sequences less or equal and more or equal than the sequence that converges to what i want

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: November 22, 2016, 10:41:45 am »

oh, okay, so all I need to do is eyeball the limit and then find two sequences less or equal and more or equal than the sequence that converges to what i want

Find two sequences that converge to the same limit such that for large enough n, one sequence is always smaller than the series whose convergence you want to know and the other sequence is always larger. As n goes to infinity, if the two bounding sequences converge to a value and if your sequence is somewhere in the middle of those two, then your sequence also converges to that value.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2271 on: November 22, 2016, 10:43:36 am »

The German name, Zwei Polizi und ein Betronken, is much more expressive. If two policemen walk into a cell with a drunk between them, the drunk must end up in the cell. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2272 on: November 22, 2016, 10:46:05 am »

Sort of. "Eyeballing the limit" doesn't exactly work, but finding the two sequences such that one is always less or equal and one is always more or equal compared to the relevant sequence, and such that the two sequences have the same limit, is sufficient.

The Squeeze Theorem basically says "This sequence is really fucking weird. There's no way I'm going to evaluate that limit. But that's fine! It's stuck between these two nice sequences, these two easy-to-evaluate sequences, that have the same limit. Therefore, the weird-sequence has that limit too."
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: November 22, 2016, 02:20:04 pm »

The German name, Zwei Polizi und ein Betronken, is much more expressive. If two policemen walk into a cell with a drunk between them, the drunk must end up in the cell. :P
That's a good one! I only ever heard 'Quetschlemma' as the German term though.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: November 22, 2016, 03:38:46 pm »

There's also the ham sandwich theorem, which is something else entirely but sounds even tastier. As opposed to, of course, the hairy ball theorem.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: December 04, 2016, 04:04:35 pm »

I've debated on asking this because it looks so brain-dead easy, but I just have no idea how to do any of these. Well, I don't know yet about b) and c) but I just know I can't do a) and the other ones seem dependent on the same premise. I don't really understand how I can really choose a value for the Lipschitz constant. I can prove the Lipschitz continuity. But I just don't know how to choose the constant. I just only know how to prove the constant exists. And yes, I know I can just say it's a real number that approaches infinity but I doubt my teacher will be happy with that answer.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: December 04, 2016, 04:29:23 pm »

For differentiable functions on intervals, any upper bound of |f '| is a valid Lipschitz constant for f and vice versa. So just grab yourself a number that is everywhere larger than |f '| and you're good to go.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 04:31:24 pm by MagmaMcFry »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: December 04, 2016, 04:43:05 pm »

For differentiable functions on intervals, any upper bound of |f '| is a valid Lipschitz constant for f and vice versa. So just grab yourself a number that is everywhere larger than |f '| and you're good to go.
Why is that?

Also, apparently I was wrong. I have no idea how to even prove Lipschitz Continuity. I know the definition, but damn if I know how to apply it. Can someone explain it to me like I'm an idiot? Because I am an idiot who can't grasp simple mathematic concepts apparently.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 04:45:12 pm by Cinder »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: December 04, 2016, 05:13:26 pm »

I'm frustrated and tired and I don't understand why I can't understand anyone's explanation.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: December 04, 2016, 05:59:22 pm »

Look, the textbook examples just show how to provei t for x^2, it really does NOT show me how to do it for literally anything else...

Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 173