Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 215955 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #1770 on: May 12, 2015, 04:05:40 pm »

How come when integrating over the volume of a sphere you have to multiply the function by p^2 * sin(phi)?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: May 12, 2015, 07:33:02 pm »

How do I integrate a function over the surface of a cube?
It's FEF, not FEOF

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: May 12, 2015, 11:01:13 pm »

How do I integrate a function over the surface of a cube?
Lots of double integrals put together (or a single triple integral with very creative bounds). Integrate over each face of the cube separately with an appropriate double integral, then add the results all together. If the cube surface has a thickness then you would need to use triple integrals over each face, and ensure that your bounds didn't overlap at the corners.

An alternative way (and probably easier way) to do it if the cube has a thickness would be to triple integrate over a solid cube of the outer face, then subtract the triple integral of a cube the size of the inner face to "remove" that part of the total cube.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: May 13, 2015, 03:35:40 am »

Don't we have Stokes for these things?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: June 03, 2015, 06:08:02 pm »

Hi everyone!

I'm taking Algebra again in college again next semester and wanted to ask about radical solutions.

I have an example in my book where it feels that the numbers simply come out of the blue for some reason and I don't know why they exist. "What do you mean?" you might be asking, well its this.

Imagine a radical stretching over (X-1) and it continues to "equal X-7". From here I understand to get rid of the radical you do the opposite which is exponents.

Which nets me X-1=X(to the second) - 14x +49.  (Note: I don't know how to do exponents on my keyboard, I apologize in advance).

At this point I have to ask why 14x and 49 are existing simultaneously. I guess it has to do with the X being multiplied by the 2 but if thats true then there should only be 2 X's and not 3.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: June 03, 2015, 07:56:10 pm »

I'm taking Algebra again in college again next semester and wanted to ask about radical solutions.
Okay, go get an apron, a butcher's knife and some intel on the nearest hog lot. You do know where your prof lives, right?

In the meantime I'll try to answer your question:
I have an example in my book where it feels that the numbers simply come out of the blue for some reason and I don't know why they exist. "What do you mean?" you might be asking, well its this.

Imagine a radical stretching over (X-1) and it continues to "equal X-7". From here I understand to get rid of the radical you do the opposite which is exponents.

Which nets me X-1=X(to the second) - 14x +49.  (Note: I don't know how to do exponents on my keyboard, I apologize in advance).

At this point I have to ask why 14x and 49 are existing simultaneously. I guess it has to do with the X being multiplied by the 2 but if thats true then there should only be 2 X's and not 3.
The problem is sqrt(x-1) = x - 7, right? Your approach is perfectly valid, it seems you're just having problems with squaring the x - 7 term.
Remember: x behaves just like a number most of the time. You just multiply like you'd multiply any sum:
(x - 7)^2
= (x - 7)*(x - 7)
= x*x - 7*x - x*7 + 49 (Is this bit clear? You really just dissolve the parentheses.)
= x^2 - 7*x - 7*x + 49 (Since x^2 is defined as x*x and multiplication is commutative :P )
= x^2 - (7 + 7)*x + 49 (We reintroduce some parentheses to simplify)
= x^2 - 14*x + 49 Voila!

Couple of style tips: Use lower case letters for variables - uppercase ones are usually reserved for sets or probability distributions (or something like that, I don't quite remember). And (as you've seen above) roots of something are usually written as sqrt(something) when writing plain text.

A question of my own: On p 410 of Hatcher's Algebraic Topology he says that
To the extent that fibrations can be regarded as twisted products, up to homotopy equivalence, the spaces X_n in a Postnikov tower for X can be thought of as twisted products of Eilenberg-MacLane spaces K(\pi_n(X),n).
What does he mean by 'twisted products'? Spaces that locally look like products but globally have a different structure? Then I'd need to know whether the twisted product of two finite CW complexes is still finite...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: June 03, 2015, 08:28:05 pm »

1. I cracked up really well their thank Helgoland.

2. x*x - 7*x - x*7 + 49 (Is this bit clear? You really just dissolve the parentheses.)

x*x=X to the second. Right?

...-7x-x*7 + 49. Again where is this 49 coming from though?

(x-7)*(x-7) turns into ----> ((x*x - 7*x - x*7 + 49)) but why? Why are their 4 x's now and again where is this 49 coming from when both of the 7's are still on the equation? Is this fast forwarding?

3. Just out of curiosity how advanced are you in mathematics?

EDIT:

In my book after squaring I understand that both sides are squared. An they are. However, (x-7) after being squared in my mind should become X (to the second) and 49 but instead I see that part of the equation become X(to the second) - 14x +49. It's that -14x that bothers me because in my understanding the x's and 49 should be alone. That's the part I need clarification on. Sorry about the misunderstanding.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 08:34:04 pm by 3man75 »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: June 03, 2015, 08:42:00 pm »

Sixth semester, slowly losing my ability to calculate :D

The 49 is just 7*7, and yeah, x*x=x^2 ('x to the second', the ^2 is just a shorthand) by definition. Lemme give you an example with concrete numbers:

(3+4)*(3+4)
= 3*3 + 4*3 + 3*4 + 4*4 (again, just dissolving parentheses - this you need to pretty much learn by heart, dissolving parentheses is important)
= 3*3 + 4*3 + 4*3 + 4*4
= 3*3 + (4 + 4)*3 + 4*4
= 3^2 + 8*3 + 16
= 49 which is the same as if we'd calculated 7*7 from the beginning.

Now let's say we want to do the same calculation ~fifty times, just with 3 replaced by other numbers. Instead of doing these steps fifty times, we use a placeholder - x - that behaves just like any ordinary number. The 'additional x's' that appear aren't any more additional than the 'additional' threes you see in the example; they just appear because we no longer have the parentheses keeping them bottled up. Kinda like this:
5*7 = 7 + 7 + 7 + 7 + 7
All we're doing is translating from a shorthand version into a more explicit one.
The Bay12 postcard club

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: June 04, 2015, 02:12:51 am »

Huh, up until now I didn't even know there was a phrase specifically to describe radical equations. That's interesting,
And I agree with Helgo on learning how to multiply out parentheses, it's something that you'll need to do a lot when you're working with equations. Same with factorising too.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: June 04, 2015, 05:01:08 am »

3man75

(x-7) * (x-7) is not equal to  x^2 + 49, because that fails to multiple the x's and -7's together. There is no specific reason to only multiply the x's together and the 7's together. everything has to be multiplied together, hence why the answer is not x^2 + 49

here is another way to break it down. you can split the first (x-7) up:

(x-7) * (x-7)  = x (x-7) - 7(x-7) <= this is just from realizing that you can split up the first x-7 and multiply each component of that by the remaining (x-7)

(x-7) * (x-7)  = x*x - 7*x - 7(x - 7)  <= multiplying out the first term
(x-7) * (x-7)  = x*x - 7*x - 7*x -7*-7  <= multiplying out the second term
(x-7) * (x-7)  = x^2 -(7*x + 7*x) + 7^2  <= grouping the 7*x's and putting squares in
(x-7) * (x-7)  = x^2 -14*x +49  <= simplifying everything
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 05:03:16 am by Reelya »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: June 04, 2015, 08:29:27 am »

Oh c'mon, use parentheses when multiplying negative numbers - you'll confuse the poor guy if you don't.
The Bay12 postcard club

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: June 04, 2015, 01:59:41 pm »

Actually I figured it out. I've been meaning to post that but other things on meatspace have gotten in the way.

Huh, up until now I didn't even know there was a phrase specifically to describe radical equations. That's interesting,
And I agree with Helgo on learning how to multiply out parentheses, it's something that you'll need to do a lot when you're working with equations. Same with factorising too.

I think I know how to multiply out of parenthesis but then again I might not simply because I need someone to physically show me what is being said sometimes. For example (An a bad one at that)

I saw that (X-7)^= (X-7) (X-7).

Because X-7 * X-7 is true I can distribute it so that I can get X^-14X+49. This is what Helgoland was saying but I missed because of the symbolism online being different. ((2(square) and 2^ just looks so different that I basically didn't know how to interpret it.))

EDIT: Does that make sense to the readers?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 02:09:02 pm by 3man75 »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: June 04, 2015, 02:14:34 pm »

The caret (^) is a power symbol.
So x^2 is x squared, x^3 is x cubed, and so on.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1783 on: June 04, 2015, 02:21:07 pm »

Slightly better-looking but requiring more effort are the [sup][/sup] superscript tags.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: June 04, 2015, 02:22:25 pm »

Slightly better-looking but requiring more effort are the [sup][/sup] superscript tags.

wha-? Que?
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 173