Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 217743 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #615 on: February 24, 2011, 02:37:54 am »

Well... huh.

Whaddaya know about that.

I swear, mathematics is the only subject I know that can take me from "I am a genius!" to "I am an idiot!" so fast.  It's like a revolving door of self-loathing and -aggrandizement.

Same thing goes for statements of "Oh this is wonderful never stop" and "fuck my life forever."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: February 24, 2011, 02:43:28 am »

By the way Vector - You made a comment about teachers in the Egypt thread that reminded me of a recent AMS article

You might be interested if you have time.  I think he makes some interesting points on how high school teachers should be taught.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: February 24, 2011, 02:49:39 am »

Hmm, yeah.  That is interesting, having looked at the first couple of pages--I'll need to spend some time reading it more thoroughly later.

Thanks for the pointer :D
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: February 24, 2011, 04:11:33 am »

I swear, mathematics is the only subject I know that can take me from "I am a genius!" to "I am an idiot!" so fast.  It's like a revolving door of self-loathing and -aggrandizement.

We've all done this, by the way.  Even the greatest mathematicians have experienced this.  There was the time Lagrange read his proof of the parallel postulate to the French academy of sciences...  You can imagine how it ended.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: February 24, 2011, 04:48:10 am »

Man, reading this thread reminds me how much math I've forgotten, just three years after I finished my maths/physics master. Shows that maths skills must be exercised regularly like everything else (also shows that most of the hard knowledge you learn at uni isn't that useful in work life, unless you go for an academic position).

Maybe it's time to dig out the Kreyszig again and start from chapter 1.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: February 24, 2011, 08:43:07 am »

Yes, e+pi is an open problem (but there are much more general conjectures that would say it is irrational, and even transcendental).
One can write down suprisingly easy facts that are very very difficult. Like the inequality sigma(n) <= H_n + log(H_n)·e^H_n ; here sigma(n) is the sum of the divisors of n (e.g. sigma(12)=1+2+3+4+6+12=28) and H_n = 1/1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + ... + 1/n. I recommend not trying to prove it  ;)

Didn't know about that mistake of Lagrange, thanks for the information on that, it gives a nice anecdote.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 11, 2011, 09:30:04 am »

It is known that one can express sin(nx) in a polynomial of sin(x) with order at most n. Similarly, one can express cos(nx) as a polynomial in cos(x) with order at most n.
Is there a way to express sinn(x) and cosn(x) in terms of sin(kx) and cos(kx) for some values of k?

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 11, 2011, 02:20:56 pm »

It's unclear precisely what you mean.  Trivially, one might say that cosn(x) is an expression in terms of cos(kx) where k=1.  :P

I think you want to write it as a linear combination of the cos(kn)'s.  In this case it should be possible using the formulas from the first theorem you mention.  Say you want to write cosn(x).  Start with cos(nx).  Write this in terms of of powers of cos(x).  The first one should be cosn(x).  Multiply through by a constant to make the first coefficient 1.

Now add some multiple of cosn-1(x) to it to kill the cos((n-1)x) term, and then add a multiple of cosn-2(x) of it to kill the cos((n-2)x) term and so on.  The later ones won't touch the cosn(x).  It's essentially row-reducing a matrix, if you are familiar with that.

So that's how you do it for cosn(x).  For sine, you could get some sort of an expression with sin(x) and cos(x) by repeatedly using the identity cos2(x)= 1 - sin2(x), and the previous expressions.  This wouldn't be a linear combination, though.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #623 on: March 14, 2011, 12:10:21 am »

Hey all you maths fans

Happy Pi Day!!  :D
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 14, 2011, 12:11:31 am »

Lets talk about Stem and leaf plots!
I am confused how I deal with decimals
Thank you based dwarf.

da dwarf lord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: March 14, 2011, 04:30:52 am »

Well generally the stem is the 10's and the leaf is the 1's (if you get that)  so 82,85,56,74,64,34,59,34,45 becomes:
stem:    leaf:
3          4,4     
4          5
5          6,9
6          4
7          4
8          2,5

Hope this helps :)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 14, 2011, 12:56:05 pm »

decimals
Um, I can think of two ways to do that, depending on scale.
For this number series:  13.2 14.3 14.8 16.2 22.0 22.2 22.5

1           3.2 4.3 4.8 6.2
2           2.0 2.2 2.5

or,

13         .2
14         .3 .8
16         .2
22         .0 .2 .5

I don't know which one your teacher is likely to ask for, but maybe one of them will look more obviously correct to you...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 14, 2011, 07:34:41 pm »

Happy pi day, everyone!

Go do some mathematics!  Enjoy yourselves!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 14, 2011, 08:21:01 pm »

Happy pi day, everyone!

Go do some mathematics!  Enjoy yourselves!
Now thats the Vector we all remember. Aww man, all i got was cake Q_Q

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 14, 2011, 08:28:49 pm »

Damn straight :I

I'm going to the student-faculty dinner in a few weeks, too~ <3

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 173