Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 218343 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #285 on: November 14, 2010, 12:00:56 am »

Oh, that's a really clever.

Anyways, what you need to do is set the equation equal to zero and then solve it as a quadratic. (Make the substitution u = 2x if you can't see it.) Once you do that you should get stuff that you can do fancy logarithm stuff to. There should be only one solution where you can take the logarithm anyway, and that should be your answer.

I wish I could say I figured this out all on my own but I had to get a little help from WolframAlpha.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 14, 2010, 12:07:22 am »

Anyways, what you need to do is set the equation equal to zero and then solve it as a quadratic. (Make the substitution u = 2x if you can't see it.) Once you do that you should get stuff that you can do fancy logarithm stuff to. There should be only one solution where you can take the logarithm anyway, and that should be your answer.

I wish I could say I figured this out all on my own but I had to get a little help from WolframAlpha.
I was about to be all impressed by you thinking of that, but then I read the last line.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #287 on: November 14, 2010, 12:10:24 am »

dat wolfram, man
dat wolfram.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 14, 2010, 12:10:46 am »

I still don't get it. If I substitute u=2x and set it equal to zero, I get
2u - 4u - 21 = 0

...which I can't figure out either.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 14, 2010, 12:12:09 am »

I still don't get it. If I substitute u=2x and set it equal to zero, I get
u2 - 4u - 21 = 0

...which I can't figure out either.
Fixed that equation for you.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 14, 2010, 12:13:32 am »

I was about to be all impressed by you thinking of that, but then I read the last line.

All of you who were like DUUURRR HOW DO SOLVE IT can shut up.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Wyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 14, 2010, 12:18:41 am »

Clever, clever. I ought to remember that trick next time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 14, 2010, 12:19:02 am »

Okay, that makes a little more sense. You're splitting that up before substituting.

Now I want to ask about this one in class just to see if the instructor does it the same way.

EDIT: Wyrm, that doesn't look right. I think you subtracted where you shouldn't have, I got u=7.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 12:23:40 am by Fossaman »
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 14, 2010, 12:19:42 am »

All of you who were like DUUURRR HOW DO SOLVE IT can shut up.

Dude, I started doing that.  Then I went "screw that, I'm playing vidjagames now."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 14, 2010, 12:24:50 am »

Clever, clever. I ought to remember that trick next time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't this is correct. You should be getting two different solutions, not identical ones.

(u2 - 4u - 21) = 0

(u - 7)(u + 3) = 0

u = 7
u = -3

Since you can't take the negative logarithm:

2x = 7

And I don't really want to do the logarithm stuff, but it should be easy enough to take away from here. Well, it's not that hard.

x = log7/log2

Wyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 14, 2010, 09:31:13 am »

Yeah, yer right. Dangit.

Edit: Fixed—

(u-2)2 = 25
u-2 = ±5
u = ±5+2
u = 7, -3

Too often we forget that a positive real has two square roots.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 05:39:12 pm by Wyrm »

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 29, 2010, 10:15:46 pm »

I'm not sure where to post this, but I'll do it here since mathematically-oriented people seem to frequent this thread.  I just saw the most bizarre thing: a real mathematical proof from a real movie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etbcKWEKnvg

Perhaps it's a bit technical, but it's encouraging to me that someone would actually take the time to research the math when making one of those "mathematical movies" that crop up occasionally.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 29, 2010, 10:54:32 pm »

Okay, those last few posts? Has no one here ever heard of the quadratic equation?
Of course, but there are quite a few cases where factoring is more convenient, like the one above.  In simple to factor cases, the quadratic formula often only introduces needless complexity.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 30, 2010, 12:08:51 am »

Okay, those last few posts? Has no one here ever heard of the quadratic equation?

Um... yeah, the quadratic equation is needlessly messy in almost all situations one encounters in high school/lower mathematics.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 30, 2010, 12:49:48 pm »

What, why? It's nice to have a "be all end all" equation, even if it isn't quite there.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 173