Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is this? Chest Problems (Sort of)  (Read 1504 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is this? Chest Problems (Sort of)
« on: September 28, 2010, 10:31:39 am »

So, I have had this for a while, it developed when I bed ridden myself during one summer. However when I sit improperly (hunched) or rest on my side sometimes I feel like my chest is compacted and it hurts. I can fix my chest by stretching (though I REALLY have to stretch, and sometimes back stretches help) and when I do I can REALLY feel my chest decompacting in the form of crunches or cracking in a similar way one would see in their fingers when they crack them except In my chest.

I don’t think it is anything of concern but I never heard of this ever in my life and I am just wondering if anyone knows what it is especially since Chests don‘t really have anything to crack to my knowledge. Though If it is overly normal then  it may not have a name… (though no one knows what I mean when I say my chest was compacted, so I am under the impression it isn’t common)

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is this? Chest Problems (Sort of)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 10:40:55 am »

Are doctors hard to visit over wherever most of the posters here live? (USA I suppose. Sorta lol-worthy considering how many USAers are fighting against those token medical reforms) Seriously, don't trust the internet to diagnose physical conditions. If it's enough to notice as abnormal, at the very least make a list of things you feel are issues and go to the doctor once you have 5-10 items on your list.
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 10:53:21 am »

No I live in Canada.

It is abnormal but not doctor abnormal (besides the thing I have to see a doctor for is unrelated to this).

Also the last time I went to the doctor it turned out I was a LOT less sick then I really was... I was really embarassed (I have a psychosematic hypercondria)... I never want to go to a walk-in again unless I know something is wrong.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 10:58:13 am by Neonivek »

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 11:11:30 am »

Go to a goddamned problem, jesus christ man, what the hell is up with all those people seekign medical advice?!
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 11:23:55 am »

Go to a goddamned problem, jesus christ man, what the hell is up with all those people seekign medical advice?!
Whats with all the people not reading this before replying:

Anything at all that you genuinely or almost genuinely would like advice or help with.

If you reply, please try to be helpful!
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 11:30:03 am »

psychosomatic hyperchrondria?

Maybe you have a chest cold or something?

Also, I have to lean closer to the computer, so yea hunching over like that will make the sides of your ribs (its actually the muscles, not the ribs) sore, but I don't experience this constricting thing you're talking about.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 11:48:39 am »

I've got some weird posture myself.  I generally list to the left.  Completely unconscious of it...  Until I notice that my muscles aren't too happy about it.  I'll get a weird cramp-y ache on my side.  It can become vaguely difficult to take deep breaths.  Kind of like if you've got a mild cold or something...  Just a vaguely congested feeling.  If I ignore it long enough I'll get a genuine cramp in the muscles over my ribs.  Believe me, it feels weird when your ribcage tries to crush itself.  Not pleasant.

I try to stretch periodically to counter-act this.

Sometimes, if I stretch just right, I manage to crack/pop my chest just like when I crack/pop my knuckles.  It happens on the right side...  Up top, somewhere between my collar bone and my breast bone.  Felt pretty disconcerting the first couple of times it happened.

I went to see a doctor.  They told me to sit up straight.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 08:47:08 am »

I really do hope that by using a comic strip to indicate my feelings about this matter, you understand the point I'm trying to make here, which is one that I think would be genuinely helpful to you.

And no, the point is not 'use Google'.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 09:07:35 am »

use Yahooo instead

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 09:16:21 am »

My whole right side is a mess. I think it's because my right hand is my mouse hand, and I spend too much time at my computer.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 10:51:01 am »

I sit up straight or lean slightly on the desk beside me. I've got a crappy old wooden stool, so not sitting properly has CONSEQUENCES MOST DREADFUL.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 11:52:36 am »

I've had this for some time, where my chest feels the same compacted/stuck feeling as the OP.  I can then stretch up and back to give it a big gratuitous pop.

The pop is coming from the base of my sternum, where it becomes cartilage and yes there are lots of joints in the front of your chest where your ribs attach.  These joints allow your ribs to move when you expand your chest in and out.

It seems to be pretty uncommon, I always thought that i picked it up from putting out a lot of tackles in high school football, but it has never created any other problem for me.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 01:54:29 pm »

@Neonivek: Do you often have to hunch over at the computer? That could be it. As everybody else has said, its a result of poor posture. Also, what were you bedridden for? If it was a chest cold or some other respiratory aliement, then it could just be lingering stuff that will go away.

I think its nothing, but if its REALLY bothering you, then ask the doctor about it. Since its not something life threatening, you should be able to make an appointment.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 02:02:03 pm »

Bad posture is serious business. It can cause some major mobility problems when you get old.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 09:13:46 pm »

It wasn't bothering me as such so much that not knowing what it exactly was, was driving me nuts since this is apperantly not something everyone experiences.

As for being Bedridden I think I was a bit depressed at the time and simply refused to leave me bed for often days. I am over it.

and yes it usually only shows up if I sit with bad posture. (and boy can my posture get bad. I am tall and I've hunched over until my head could touch the desk. It is practically ducking)
Pages: [1] 2