Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I am not a scientist or a musician of renown but.............  (Read 4635 times)

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I am not a scientist or a musician of renown but.............
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 06:53:15 pm »

yes; but the melody, beat, tempo etc. are determined by by the state of your fortress.

so an active happy fortress with 50 dwarves would sound different from when it had 20 dwarves and much,much different than if that fortress had a bunch of deaths.

Having residual tones and melodies would be cool too.  Like if you start to get a heap of deaths your fortress song would start to get a dirge-like quality as the casualties stack.

I also envision (or is it enhear?) that old fortresses would have an epic sounding 'Fortress Song', as these residual threads of music intertwine with the current goings on.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 09:46:59 am »

The question is just what data is needed and can we get it? Contextual music needs one thing: Context.

Also environmental sounds would be nice say 20 Zs in the air you hear wind, on ground level animals and underground the noise of Workshops if they are on screen or near the screen. This is all doable and was already done whatyou really need is just the right data from the game.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 10:39:40 am »

Dude, that would be amazing.

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 06:22:59 pm »

The question is just what data is needed and can we get it? Contextual music needs one thing: Context.

Also environmental sounds would be nice say 20 Zs in the air you hear wind, on ground level animals and underground the noise of Workshops if they are on screen or near the screen. This is all doable and was already done whatyou really need is just the right data from the game.

well thats more like the soundsense mod.  this is about a adaptive music soundtrack that reads the data for the state of your fortress and composes based on that data.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 12:15:42 pm »

Uh thats a bit trickier actually but there are algorithms that can compose. You can attribute different speeds pitches etc. with moods so the algorith gets a bias to using them. Composition of music especially with multiple instruments is on the other harder.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 06:34:28 am »

This thread reminds me of the software Anthem. Anyone trying to program such a thing to read DF should seriously consider receiving delivery of any new sofas they have ordered before they commence work.

OP should not open his trunk.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 07:17:41 am »

I can just imagine one of your dwarves bumping into a kobold thief and hearing the Pokemon battle music start up.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 07:11:13 pm »

Anyone here play the SNES version of SimCity?  No, it didn't have procedural music, but it did have different music for each progressive city size, and they were essentially variations on a theme (it started out like a sleepy little tune, then started rocking out with orchestral hits when your city got real big).  This made me think of that.

TIE Fighter had the benefit of an existing and very nice symphonic score from the movies.  I think that before we do this, we need to have some more actual musical scores ourselves.  Yes we have the vanilla DF music, but that's just one source to draw from.  It says to me, "small fortress, mildly unhappy dwarves, the underground is cramped and kind of damp and it's none too pleasant outside".  So...I guess, what variables do we want to control on, and how does it change the sound?  Do we want it to all stay about the same in basic melody, or do we want multiple distinct melodies that blend into each other?  Is it a good idea to have different music for good/evil terrain types--I'd figure no, because it means you will only ever be hearing one for an entire fort (unless you change it just scrolling around which I think would become very muddled).

I dunno...the thing is, for the most part, DF does not have big dramatic moments like TIE Fighter does.  You get sieges how often?  Dwarves die how often?  (Yes I know they die all the time, but you know when it's coming most of the time, and it's not THAT that often, it's multiple minutes between them--or ten dwarves in the blink of an eye.)  So, to me, it's just an ongoing theme, and here's the important parts:
- Fort size, so you get a progression as you play.
- Happiness.
- Let's combine those two: Happy dwarves alter the music one way, unhappy dwarves modify it in an orthogonal way.  So if you have a lot of happy dwarves you have your basic music, but if a few become unhappy all of a sudden, it starts to add some darker jabs.  These would make a good rhythm.
- Labor!  If you've got a big mining project going on, it should sound like it.  If you have a distinct farming season, that should be noticeable.
- Danger.  Same thing as Labor really--add or modify the melody when there's fighting or dying.
- TIE Fighter style events with ~10-second musical scores when traders arrive on the map, become ready to trade, and during various siege events, including squads being routed.  Nothing special for your own dwarves dying, unless it's a big squad or something.  You can also go the L4D route and add ominous noises when ambushers start sneaking around--even before you see them.  Also, cram something minor into the next melody bit whenever a moody dwarf stashes another item.

...I think I know what song I keep thinking of!  "Work Day" from Rise of the Triad.  If there is a dwarfier song, I haven't heard it.  I like this song for large (120ish?) forts.  If's got a solid rhythm that you can screw with, and you can tweak the instruments of the melody for different labors.

.....and if you really wanted to be a dork, you could look at disney's Seven Dwarves and their "Hi Ho, Hi Ho!"ing for a super-happy tiny fort...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 07:16:22 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 12:45:06 am »

Anyone here play the SNES version of SimCity?  No, it didn't have procedural music, but it did have different music for each progressive city size, and they were essentially variations on a theme (it started out like a sleepy little tune, then started rocking out with orchestral hits when your city got real big).  This made me think of that.

TIE Fighter had the benefit of an existing and very nice symphonic score from the movies.  I think that before we do this, we need to have some more actual musical scores ourselves.  Yes we have the vanilla DF music, but that's just one source to draw from.  It says to me, "small fortress, mildly unhappy dwarves, the underground is cramped and kind of damp and it's none too pleasant outside".  So...I guess, what variables do we want to control on, and how does it change the sound?  Do we want it to all stay about the same in basic melody, or do we want multiple distinct melodies that blend into each other?  Is it a good idea to have different music for good/evil terrain types--I'd figure no, because it means you will only ever be hearing one for an entire fort (unless you change it just scrolling around which I think would become very muddled).

I dunno...the thing is, for the most part, DF does not have big dramatic moments like TIE Fighter does.  You get sieges how often?  Dwarves die how often?  (Yes I know they die all the time, but you know when it's coming most of the time, and it's not THAT that often, it's multiple minutes between them--or ten dwarves in the blink of an eye.)  So, to me, it's just an ongoing theme, and here's the important parts:
- Fort size, so you get a progression as you play.
- Happiness.
- Let's combine those two: Happy dwarves alter the music one way, unhappy dwarves modify it in an orthogonal way.  So if you have a lot of happy dwarves you have your basic music, but if a few become unhappy all of a sudden, it starts to add some darker jabs.  These would make a good rhythm.
- Labor!  If you've got a big mining project going on, it should sound like it.  If you have a distinct farming season, that should be noticeable.
- Danger.  Same thing as Labor really--add or modify the melody when there's fighting or dying.
- TIE Fighter style events with ~10-second musical scores when traders arrive on the map, become ready to trade, and during various siege events, including squads being routed.  Nothing special for your own dwarves dying, unless it's a big squad or something.  You can also go the L4D route and add ominous noises when ambushers start sneaking around--even before you see them.  Also, cram something minor into the next melody bit whenever a moody dwarf stashes another item.

...I think I know what song I keep thinking of!  "Work Day" from Rise of the Triad.  If there is a dwarfier song, I haven't heard it.  I like this song for large (120ish?) forts.  If's got a solid rhythm that you can screw with, and you can tweak the instruments of the melody for different labors.

.....and if you really wanted to be a dork, you could look at disney's Seven Dwarves and their "Hi Ho, Hi Ho!"ing for a super-happy tiny fort...

Now that sounds like a plan.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 04:51:46 pm »

So...This would go easier if people could post repetitive, complex-rhythmic dwarfy songs.  Ideally, they should be songs that you could imagine swapping between minor and major chords, or swapping out instruments on a whim, while keeping the beat.

Getting inspiration for rhythms or specific instruments would be very useful.  >.>

But yeah I'm imagining the basic soundtrack as kind of a really wimpy form of industrial or something.  Which makes sense because A) they're dwarves but B) you don't want to annihilate your ears after a six-hour marathon.  It should be gentle enough that you don't feel a need to turn it off.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2010, 10:11:43 pm »

Just a thought, what if the baseline music was based on the melodic theme to Heigh-Ho? It might be fitting in that you'd hear it right after embark it would not have many modifiers and the tempo normal. So a relatively normal Heigh-Ho song would be playing when you have 7 dwarves just striking the earth, before shit starts getting real and magma gets involved.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2010, 01:00:43 am »

my thoughts are that the original music could be worked to be more orchestral, giving it more layers that can be modified to suit the data.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2010, 01:59:08 pm »

Oh yeah!  I'd also like to do different basic soundtracks for each season.  But that would be a far-future goal.

Link stuff on Youtube that you think might work.  I'll see if I can dig up some good OSS tools for this.

NieXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • NieXS' Domain
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2010, 08:02:23 pm »

I'm surprised that In the Hall of the Mountain King hasn't been mentioned yet. Programming-wise, it wouldn't be hard to mix together some MP3s of recorded drums or w/e with the actual instruments fitting to the game's mood, if you used/forked Dwarf Foreman used pure DFHack since DForeman isn't open source.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2010, 01:04:51 pm »

Soundsense I think is just audio cues for different announcements?

But this sounds like a dynamically generated streaming music file based on conditions in dwarf fortress. This would almost certainly require moderate-to-expert knowledge of the memory locations for things like "active dwarves", "working dwarves", "number of active jobs", that sort of thing, then the ability to use that to define, let's go with midi files. So essentially you'd need to understand memory hacking/reading along with dynamic music generation.

Kind of like the opposite of audiosurf, to be honest. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithmic_composition if you're still curious.
Or have access to the source code. Much easier to read the source code than reverse engineering binaries and hacking memory.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3