Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I make a world with volcanoes?  (Read 1152 times)

johnny_cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I make a world with volcanoes?
« on: September 25, 2010, 08:55:18 pm »

I want to build a dwarf city in the mouth of an active volcano kind of like blackrock mountain from World of Warcraft. But I can't figure out how to get the world generator to create a volcano to build into. I'd also like to have a river nearby so I can create an obsidian farm. How can I do this?

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: How do I make a world with volcanoes?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 09:01:47 pm »

I want to build a dwarf city in the mouth of an active volcano kind of like blackrock mountain from World of Warcraft. But I can't figure out how to get the world generator to create a volcano to build into. I'd also like to have a river nearby so I can create an obsidian farm. How can I do this?
Increase the amount of volcanoes using world gen. parameters.
Hit 'e' on the page, scroll down until you find 'Minimum Volcanoes'. Increase it as much as you want.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 02:54:19 am »

Last time I found an embark with both a volcano and a stream, it took 5X the usual time before loading, and then was all buggy, with HFS open to the sky, magma sea pouring into bottom-less chasms, the river somehow free-falling, and one heck of a slade mountain going straight up 300 z-lvls. Of course it was impossibly laggy, even on pause, and my 7 dwarfs had about 5 tiles to walk on, with maybe access to the remnants of a cavern.

The time before last, the game simply disappeared during embark.

Don't put too much hope on the volcano-river mix. Erosion tends to do it's work.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 03:04:28 am »

I've had luck with the params below in .14 for getting volcanos with streams, rivers, sedimentary layers, and flux. It seems much easier than in .12, I think. Or perhaps I just changed something without realizing it. I even had an embark with a 48 tile wide river 5 tiles west and 2 z-levels down from a volcano. Though it didn't have any of the other amenities.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 03:06:31 am by NKDietrich »

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 03:30:21 am »

Last time I found an embark with both a volcano and a stream, it took 5X the usual time before loading, and then was all buggy, with HFS open to the sky, magma sea pouring into bottom-less chasms, the river somehow free-falling, and one heck of a slade mountain going straight up 300 z-lvls. Of course it was impossibly laggy, even on pause, and my 7 dwarfs had about 5 tiles to walk on, with maybe access to the remnants of a cavern.

The time before last, the game simply disappeared during embark.

Don't put too much hope on the volcano-river mix. Erosion tends to do it's work.

End the world gen after 200 years. Less erosion. I've got a sweet volcano/brook embark, with a nice flat area to dig on. Terrifying too :D

johnny_cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 05:06:24 am »

I've already got a volcano with a river. And it's not buggy either. It's actually a perfect place to build a castle. There's haunted woodland below. But I've spent all night trying to figure out a plan for this map. It's got this really awesome cone shaped mountain like right next to the volcano so that there's a narrow valley in between the two. I wish I knew how to show you the map I'm trying to work with so you guys could give me some advice. I mean, it's an absolutely ideal map, but I suck at planning out cities.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 09:08:01 am »

Can't you also turn off erosion?

What you want is possible, btw.  Though sedimentary/sand layers are hard to get near a volcano, and you might have to settle for a stream/aquifer/underground water, unless you have the awesomest pc in the world and a lot of patience.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 10:26:27 am »

There is an "erosion cycles" setting that can be adjusted - default is 250, making it zero will disable it.  There is also a "periodically erode extreme cliffs" setting.