Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: jeweler not moving  (Read 2027 times)

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
jeweler not moving
« on: March 11, 2008, 10:28:00 pm »

she's not leaving her workshop it's not a strange mood. but I tried to get her to cut some rough rubies (that are sitting right outside her door)  but she canceled it because she couldn't find them. Now she's thirsty but isn't leaving her workshop for a drink and is ignoring all the available jobs to do.

how can I fix this before she dies of thirst?

The great game of Warlocks!

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: jeweler not moving
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 10:38:00 pm »

I just realized I should add the version info, it's completely unmodded and it was downloaded two days ago for the mac.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 03:46:00 am »

...mayhaps you built the shop so she can't get out?
I.E.
code:

#######
#www
#www
#www
#######

w being the workshop and # walls.

If you did that the right hand 3 w's are impassible.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 08:29:00 am »

Indeed.  You'll have to deconstruct the workshop a rebuild it.  Sometimes workshops get built such that the door is completely blocked.  The problem seems to be more common when your doors aren't on the middle square of one of the sides, like so:

Bad

code:
XXXD  XXX
XXX   XXX
XXX   XXXD

Usually Better

code:
XXX
XXXD
XXX

(X = workshop, D = door)

It would be nice for the code to check access before determining how the workshop is arranged, though.  Or personally, I would prefer that all 9 squares of a workshop be walkable, regardless of what they look like.  But at least there's a workaround, the deconstruct/reconstruct process.

[ March 12, 2008: Message edited by: Exponent ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 08:55:00 am »

Just look at the damned workshop image.....  It'll show right there which tiles are walkable and which ones aren't...  Bright green tile = walkable, dark green tile = blocked.

You don't need a script to check whether or not you're placing a workshop in a bad place.  You should just be able to look at the blue(green?)print before placing the thing, unless you happen to be speed-building for some strange reason.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 09:04:00 am »

Something about that one unwalkable wall in Jewelers Workshops makes me uncomfortable. I dont know why, maybe it's because it's the only workshop with an entire side blocked off.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

briktal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 09:44:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>Something about that one unwalkable wall in Jewelers Workshops makes me uncomfortable. I dont know why, maybe it's because it's the only workshop with an entire side blocked off.</STRONG>

Bowyer Workshops have the opposite wall blocked off

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 09:57:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by briktal:
<STRONG>

Bowyer Workshops have the opposite wall blocked off</STRONG>

Who uses Bowyers anymore, since metal Crossbows are made with weaponsmithing.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

briktal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 10:21:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>

Who uses Bowyers anymore, since metal Crossbows are made with weaponsmithing.</STRONG>

Pfft, metal crossbows are for "effective" fighting forces.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 10:28:00 am »

thanks I had is like this

XXXXXX
XwwwX
XwwwD
XwwwX
XXXXXX

I had assumed that if they could get in they could get back out

briktal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 10:45:00 am »

That reminds me of an issue I had once with a failed mood, where the crazy dwarf ended up getting killed and knocked into the bottom left corner of a craftdwarf's workshop, preventing anyone from removing his body or possessions because the tile was inaccessible.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 10:54:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by briktal:
<STRONG>That reminds me of an issue I had once with a failed mood, where the crazy dwarf ended up getting killed and knocked into the bottom left corner of a craftdwarf's workshop, preventing anyone from removing his body or possessions because the tile was inaccessible.</STRONG>

I guess it's tough to get a corpse off a counter.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Just look at the damned workshop image.....  It'll show right there which tiles are walkable and which ones aren't...  Bright green tile = walkable, dark green tile = blocked.

You don't need a script to check whether or not you're placing a workshop in a bad place.  You should just be able to look at the blue(green?)print before placing the thing, unless you happen to be speed-building for some strange reason.</STRONG>

My apologies, and thanks for informing me of what now seems like an obvious fact.  I had never noticed the shading.  But even with that, it sure would be nice to be able to rotate the shop, if you really want it to be in a certain location.

[ March 12, 2008: Message edited by: Exponent ]

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 06:17:00 pm »

I always ALWAYS put my workshop doors on the top or the bottom of the room, and the rooms are always 6x6 or larger (I can cram workshops together if need be, or use the space for a small "private" stockpile).  I do break my pattern (established in the 2D), but I've always paid attention to make sure that the unwalkable spaces don't break up the room interior to make dwarves walk unnessessarily far (such as putting a brewery in an upper right corner of a 6x6 room: it's 3 unwalkable tiles are all in the corner).

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 05:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Exponent:
<STRONG>My apologies, and thanks for informing me of what now seems like an obvious fact.  I had never noticed the shading.  But even with that, it sure would be nice to be able to rotate the shop, if you really want it to be in a certain location.</STRONG>

Took me a long time, too, and I still have to try and remember which is ok and which is going to be blocked.  Rotating and mirroring would be nice indeed.

Pages: [1] 2