Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Charcoal Bug(?)  (Read 7304 times)

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
Re: Charcoal Bug(?)
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 02:04:13 pm »

Hmm, have you tried deleting and replacing the stockpile... That might work.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

bdunwithat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2010, 03:27:14 pm »

Someone already suggested that I think.

It's also in the OP I believe

I know, I was trolling OP because he is acting like a douche.

Friendly-fire  :(

Odd to me that in trying to be completely unhelpful, I get ignored, but in actually trying to help OP he treats you as he does. I suppose that's ironic.

O, sorry! XD I was just trying to tell you somewhat kindly before the OP freaked the hell out.

Then again, sense that was yourpoint... lol

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2010, 04:03:07 pm »

Odd to me that in trying to be completely unhelpful, I get ignored, but in actually trying to help OP he treats you as he does. I suppose that's ironic.

I realised you what you were doing, that's why I called bdun slow.

bdunwithat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2010, 04:08:32 pm »

I realised you what you were doing, that's why I called bdun slow.
Bdunwithat cancels ask question: will result in snarkiness

Thorzog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 05:40:40 pm »

To make fuel from coal you need fuel. When you say the smelter says no fuel source do you mean no coal to smelt or no fuel to smelt the coal with? You could try to make fuel from wood and then try.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2010, 05:42:59 pm »

Considering Soap-making has what appears to be the same bug, and the work around for that is to use the managers screen to tell it to make soap, I second (third?) the request to try using the manager screen for your smelting order to see if it will grab the fuel it claims it can't reach when you try to designate the task from the smelter itself.

Of course, this won't work if you don't have a Manager designated.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2010, 06:28:34 pm »

Good news everyone: I HAVE THE SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM (so we can all stop bickering now)

Ok, the problem is with smelters, not charcoal/coke/coal/whatever, and there are two ways it will manifest itself:

1.) Smelters do not recognize bar-based reagents that are on a different Z-level.  Period.  I tried moving all of my metal bars upstairs once and then found myself unable to make any steel despite having plenty of all the needed materials.  Keep your bars stockpile on the same level as your smelters.  They can use ore and economic stones from anywhere though, so you can keep your ore stockpile on a different level, but bars must be on the same z-level.

2.) Newly produced coke is unavailable to your smelters.  Why?  Because if you have a stockpile that accepts bars, then as soon as your coke pops out of the smelter, it gets claimed by your haulers who mosey on down from the break-room to transfer it to the proper stockpile.  The problem is that the coke becomes unavailable the moment its "un-filed" status becomes noticed regardless of how long it takes for the dwarves to actually come and get it.  This results in the phenomenon that when you're down to your last bar of coke and need to make some more, and set a repeating order to convert your lignite into something useful, the task gets canceled after the first round because there is no "free" coke sitting in a stockpile; it has all been claimed by haulers.

OVERALL LESSON:
In order to set up smooth uninterrupted runs of coke-making, you must have at least 2 bars of coke sitting in a stockpile and on the same z-level as your smelters.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2010, 06:29:50 pm »

This is just in 31.13 right?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2010, 06:37:12 pm »

My experience is from 31.12, but I doubt this behavior would have changed in 31.13.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2010, 06:46:16 pm »

Personally, I forbid one unit of coke in each smelter as my emergency store in case my metal works uses up all the available ore (haven't put the stocks on another level, so I know that wasn't the problem).

Also, did anyone experiencing this problem ever try using the manager screen to see if it acts as a work around to the smelter not "seeing" the bars on another z-level?  You don't include that (one way or the other) in your post, and it might work for a work around if you find the need for the stockpile on the same level inconvenient.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2010, 07:18:45 pm »

This is just in 31.13 right?

Nope.  I had a problem with stockpiled/unforbidden/untasked/undumped charcoal in .12.  The smelter wouldn't accept that it had fuel.  Tore it down, built a brand-new smelter, and everything was peachy.  For the record, the charcoal was only a few steps away from the original smelter, and the new smelter was built a few steps away in the other direction.  It wasn't an issue of sprawl, or haulers claiming the bars, since this was in spring or summer of the fort's first year--the whole place was nothing but a tunnel with a door slapped on it.  No z-levels, no multiple stockpiles, no mooks on the other side of the map calling dibs on hauling things.

Good news everyone: I HAVE THE SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM (so we can all stop bickering now)

Ok, the problem is with smelters, not charcoal/coke/coal/whatever, and there are two ways it will manifest itself:

1.) Smelters do not recognize bar-based reagents that are on a different Z-level.  Period.  I tried moving all of my metal bars upstairs once and then found myself unable to make any steel despite having plenty of all the needed materials.  Keep your bars stockpile on the same level as your smelters.  They can use ore and economic stones from anywhere though, so you can keep your ore stockpile on a different level, but bars must be on the same z-level.

Dunno about the OP, but in my case, it couldn't have been a z-level bug because everything in the fort was still on the same z.

You're right on it being a smelter prob--I built a new smelter, and that workshop didn't give me the "no fuel" line...  the original one still did.  I went back and forth between the two of them; the new one would take smelting tasks, the old one wouldn't, and there was fuel available to both.

2.) Newly produced coke is unavailable to your smelters.  Why?  Because if you have a stockpile that accepts bars, then as soon as your coke pops out of the smelter, it gets claimed by your haulers who mosey on down from the break-room to transfer it to the proper stockpile.  The problem is that the coke becomes unavailable the moment its "un-filed" status becomes noticed regardless of how long it takes for the dwarves to actually come and get it.  This results in the phenomenon that when you're down to your last bar of coke and need to make some more, and set a repeating order to convert your lignite into something useful, the task gets canceled after the first round because there is no "free" coke sitting in a stockpile; it has all been claimed by haulers.

I had charcoal, unforbidden, undumped, and untasked in a stockpile right next to the smelter and the smelter wouldn't acknowledge it.  It wasn't a tasking/stockpiling issue.

The smelter would keep trying to use my imported coke (imported for steel, not melting copper nuggets) in the smelter, and when I forbade the coke, it wouldn't take the charcoal as a substitute.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2010, 09:55:48 pm »

You should try reclaiming the charcoal through d-b-c after you unforbid the materials.

In other news, stop attacking the person trying to help you
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

theqmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2010, 10:44:01 pm »

Was the unusable charcoal in the stockpile in a box, or just on the floor?

AUTOMATIC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2010, 01:44:02 am »

Use the d b c menu to reclaim the coal you dumped.

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2010, 05:39:56 am »

Using the manager was something I did before making this thread, I've already stated it's not a problem with the bars, it's a problem with issuing the order to the smelter.

It has nothing to do with z-levels, it's a problem with moving charcoal around, once it's moved from the wood burners the smelter will no longer see it as a fuel source when it makes the check to see if you have fuel.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4