Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 192

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.12 5/23/12 see first post)  (Read 864387 times)

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.12 3/23/12 see first post)
« Reply #1605 on: March 27, 2012, 06:57:45 am »

i started to be slightly annoyed with going back and forth between labours and roles so i've been toying with the idea of adding a roles pane to the dwarf details, or adding the top roles to the tooltip, or both! i'm concerned this extra pane is cluttering things. perhaps listing all the roles is a bit much as well, perhaps top 10 would be sufficient?

any feedback would be much appreciated!

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: March 27, 2012, 07:19:59 am »

In the tooltip, the first x, with x being an option set to 10 by default, but changeable by user with the Options Menu.

In the right click/show details, if you get a scrollbar, then all I would say, with a cut at 25% fitness?

imho anyway!

Something I wanted to ask since some time? It seems no util (DFHack included) allows Dwarf renaming. And by renaming I don't mean the nickname or profession. DF Hack allows a Squad renaming though. Would it be hard to code that? When you start having dozens of Dwarves, sometime you want slightly simpler names for a few choosen...

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: March 27, 2012, 07:25:52 am »

I'd like a "mass nicknamer". Right now it'll just say "slow down there" so somebody thought about it and decided not to? Seems strange. Sometimes I want to check my units list for vampires and it's unsorted so it's annoying to have to search through the entire list a dozen times. Nicknames add quotes to the start, making people easy to find.

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: March 27, 2012, 07:30:44 am »

i'm using the therapist bundled with masterwork DF (fo 34.05) and it allows me to mass rename

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: March 27, 2012, 08:58:35 am »

In the tooltip, the first x, with x being an option set to 10 by default, but changeable by user with the Options Menu.

In the right click/show details, if you get a scrollbar,..."

I like that, an option to expand beyond a default x.  I say more than 3, but even if you only showed 3, a user could expand the rest if he wants to see it!  It's the best of both worlds!

If using a top 3 or top 10 (static) only dispaly, it might be desirable to choose what roles are alloweed to be listed, otherwise roles that are displayed may be roles the player never assigns.

Update: Actually, I love scrollbars!  Basically, as long as I have an option to see it all somewhere, I'm happy.  I wasn't aware that I was looking at two different parts of DT.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 02:40:04 pm by thistleknot »

Yobgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: March 27, 2012, 10:11:35 am »

I too do not use debian. I compiled my DT so i have no issues.

What source did you use? I had trouble even finding something compilable. (FWIW: I'm on Fedora.)

i used the GIT address at the DT google code site to clone the branch and then compiled.

Ah... thanks. My mistake was trying to go through the DT project page linked in this thread.
A little compilation and we are working once more!!

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: March 27, 2012, 10:31:41 am »

dam 108 pages.... can i ask about vampire do they still not show up in the list of dwarfs and if you change there names in the therapist do they still not change in the game
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: March 27, 2012, 11:21:10 am »

dam 108 pages.... can i ask about vampire do they still not show up in the list of dwarfs and if you change there names in the therapist do they still not change in the game

Man, this is getting asked a lot.  Just yesterday.

There's an option for "dirty cheater's" in the options menu to show cursed dwarves.  As far as I can tell, the nickname exploit has been fixed since version 34.03 or 34.04.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: March 27, 2012, 12:14:13 pm »

i started to be slightly annoyed with going back and forth between labours and roles so i've been toying with the idea of adding a roles pane to the dwarf details, or adding the top roles to the tooltip, or both! i'm concerned this extra pane is cluttering things. perhaps listing all the roles is a bit much as well, perhaps top 10 would be sufficient?

I like this idea.  It would make roles easier to examine than having to go back and forth between different tabs.  Either way doesn't really matter to me to much I guess.  And limiting the roles to the top 10 is a good idea.  Or just the roles that are at least at 50% or more.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: March 27, 2012, 12:27:42 pm »

I agree that a roles pane would be useful, but probably limit it to above 50% or top 10, either way.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: March 27, 2012, 12:47:21 pm »

I'd like a "mass nicknamer". Right now it'll just say "slow down there" so somebody thought about it and decided not to? Seems strange. Sometimes I want to check my units list for vampires and it's unsorted so it's annoying to have to search through the entire list a dozen times. Nicknames add quotes to the start, making people easy to find.
Grab Splinterz' release.  It allows mass nicknaming.  When I process migrants, I name the unskilled ones "Blank" and being able to name 20 blanks at once is very useful.

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: March 27, 2012, 01:13:21 pm »

any chance DT could be upgraded to tell you who the vampires are?

already implemented, look under options! ;)

Ok so I have poured over all 8 checks on options and NONE of them say anything about curses, etc.
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

fredrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: March 27, 2012, 01:34:49 pm »

I was thinking about this just a moment ago and agree with the above posters. If it's possible, throw in an "Show X roles in tooltip and Y roles in details dock" option under file -> options, where X = 3 and Y = 10 default. Or something like that. In any case, it's a welcome improvement.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: March 27, 2012, 03:14:15 pm »

Bug report: I auto-updated DT to play with 34.06,  in my fort I got the 1st dwarven caravan, when they were entering my fort a kobold got revealed, one of the caravan guards (axedwarf) handled it and killed the kobold, after that the axedwarf began showing up on DT along my other dwarves, I was even able to activate his architecture job, he didn't do any job in my fort, though.
When the caravan left he left as usual and disappeared from DT.

toasteur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: March 27, 2012, 03:26:03 pm »

i think that instead of trying to fit too much information in the same pane, which can be such an ui design nightmare, one way to resolve the problem would be to split different groups of labor into different pane. the full labor pane would stille be needed for some tasks, but often i find myself having too much columns to fit in the screen and having more specialized pane would help to achieve this goal.
different people have different taste, so if it was possible to configure the content of a pane from a config file like this is done for the roles, but in a more general way.
may i suggest using xml for the config, because i find it more usable as soon as you need some kid of tree structure. also it tends to be much more strongly typed to avoid syntax errors.
my idea would be that a list of 'columns' nodes would be defined (could be a role, an attribute, a job) with the appropriate data to populate it. (code for display, click handling and sort would be done for each type of column, afterwards it's just a matter of giving the correct properties)
then there would be 'groups' nodes to allow for a specific coloring and get a separator between groups.
then a 'pane' node would contain a list of group nodes.

with this, a user could himself define the panes he wants to use (existing panes would be defined by default) and what each pane contains.

also maybe another type of special column, which would be a sort of 'custom job' column and which would be a list of jobs which when clicked would toggle all the associated jobs on or off.

given the fact that you already dynamically construct the roles pane from a config, can i guess it would be easy enough to implement?

here a quick sample of how it could look
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 192