Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 192

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.12 5/23/12 see first post)  (Read 864338 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.10 3/15/11 see first post)
« Reply #585 on: April 22, 2011, 06:55:24 pm »

Having an animal tracking page for the fort would make it possible for me to raise livestock without going insane. I hate reading every animal's description just to discover their stats.

ClubFoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: April 22, 2011, 11:30:13 pm »

Is there a currently suggested alternative for mac users?  I'm newish to the game, and really enjoying it.  I've not used a manager before, but am starting to see the need.  I'm not willing to reboot to another OS for it, though.  I gather there's not a version of DT that'll work.  sadness. How about an another manager?

thanks.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 23, 2011, 04:54:33 am »

Why? Long nicknames are legal in DF.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 23, 2011, 05:23:55 am »

Why? Long nicknames are legal in DF.

The max stl strength length you can modify in a windows C++ program is 16 bytes. There is a way around it on windows at least, but it would be super retarded to implement something so complex when no one needs Therapist to assign long nicknames  :P

"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 23, 2011, 05:53:40 am »

So "no one" is asking about ability to assign the same nickname to multiple dwarves.
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: April 23, 2011, 07:54:04 am »

So "no one" is asking about ability to assign the same nickname to multiple dwarves.
What does assigning the same nickname and nickname length have to do with each other?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: April 23, 2011, 07:57:13 am »

What does assigning the same nickname and nickname length have to do with each other?
this

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #592 on: April 23, 2011, 08:18:31 am »

this
Everything. ... or nothing, if you want to crash the game.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 23, 2011, 08:48:47 am »

this
Ok, consider me thoroughly confused.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 23, 2011, 11:06:41 am »

Is there a currently suggested alternative for mac users?

Nope....  The best you can do (that I know of) is use the u command in the game to get an (unsorted) list of dwarves, then select one and zoom to it to set labors, etc.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 24, 2011, 10:13:24 pm »

It is not in the vision statement for DT. And it is specifically where the creator did not want to go.  DT = Helper tools,  Cheat programs = Separate.

Given that you can use DT to set nobles, children, and babies to labor in your fortress and get called out for cheating by using this option, I'd say DT is cheat program. You could argue that almost anything that's not vanilla Fortress is a cheat.

As for additions, I'm of the opinion that having a tab for animals would be a very helpful addition, since it'd make tracking the best breeding stock, culling out extraneous critters, and other animal management duties much easier. It'd be nice to see  pasturing/caging of animals (and maybe other things...) be a toggle-able feature as well. It would also be kind of neat to have an option to tame prisoners for use as slave labor or food, but that might be a bit much...

Please read the vision statement as I mentioned before posting things like this.  Those things were bugs, and they were moved to options because of the way the behaviors work but will probably be gone one day.

http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/wiki/VisionStatement
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 26, 2011, 05:18:49 am »

It is not in the vision statement for DT. And it is specifically where the creator did not want to go.  DT = Helper tools,  Cheat programs = Separate.

Given that you can use DT to set nobles, children, and babies to labor in your fortress and get called out for cheating by using this option, I'd say DT is cheat program. You could argue that almost anything that's not vanilla Fortress is a cheat.

As for additions, I'm of the opinion that having a tab for animals would be a very helpful addition, since it'd make tracking the best breeding stock, culling out extraneous critters, and other animal management duties much easier. It'd be nice to see  pasturing/caging of animals (and maybe other things...) be a toggle-able feature as well. It would also be kind of neat to have an option to tame prisoners for use as slave labor or food, but that might be a bit much...

Please read the vision statement as I mentioned before posting things like this.  Those things were bugs, and they were moved to options because of the way the behaviors work but will probably be gone one day.

http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/wiki/VisionStatement

Well, at least a livestock tab would be within the vision statement!

(seriously, I'm drowning in poultry. My short-gap solution is to pen them all into one room then z-check all of them, setting them to slaughter as I see weak ones. Doesn't work on caged animals though, I have to go to the unit tab, count how many creatures down the weak one is (say, 5th, 9th and 12th badger boar) then go to the animal stocks screen and carefully count down the non-colour-coded animals to toggle the right ones for slaughter, and hope I haven't mis-counted. A livestock handler would be an Armoksend).
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

ghalidrim

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 26, 2011, 09:43:34 am »

Is there a currently suggested alternative for mac users?  I'm newish to the game, and really enjoying it.  I've not used a manager before, but am starting to see the need.  I'm not willing to reboot to another OS for it, though.  I gather there's not a version of DT that'll work.  sadness. How about an another manager?

From the forum here, looks like there's at least three of us working on a Mac port right now, probably would work better if we pooled our efforts. If the other two see this lets DM emails or talk on the Dwarf Therapist forums, I'm making pretty good progress with mine right now...

JoeCroqueta

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 27, 2011, 05:06:18 pm »

From the forum here, looks like there's at least three of us working on a Mac port right now, probably would work better if we pooled our efforts. If the other two see this lets DM emails or talk on the Dwarf Therapist forums, I'm making pretty good progress with mine right now...

Glad to hear that  :)

Thanks for the effort and good luck!

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 27, 2011, 06:35:52 pm »

I'm not working on a mac port (even though I could use one) but I am wondering what people think of adding lua support to DT.

The point would not be to make it into a "cheat" program like dfusion, but to allow people to write more advanced decision support scripts like Dwarven Guidance Councilor. I suppose you could also write scripts like "for all dwarves with attribute x, enable mining and masonry labors" or something. This stuff seems like it would be within the vision statement.

I downloaded the source and the Qt creator thing, and got it building. I also got lua building as a static library under Qt creator, but I haven't written a single line of code yet.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 192