Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: WIKI IS UP  (Read 5297 times)

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WIKI DOWNTIME STILL ONGOING (sorry)
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 12:35:19 pm »

Indeed, Armok praise Google's cache

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
Re: WIKI COMING BACK UP (do not edit pages, yet, please!)
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2010, 01:07:54 pm »

Wiki is slowly in the process of coming back up.  After the articles have been repopulated, images will be repaired.  ETA for full recovery: 10 hours.
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: WIKI DOWNTIME- Status: Onlining (partially available)
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2010, 01:16:09 pm »

When did the "sorry we're down" page get put up?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2010, 01:17:21 pm »

When did the "sorry we're down" page get put up?

I restarted a backend worker process.

edit: I read your question wrong.  It was intermittently available for the wiki over the past day or so.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 01:20:40 pm by Locriani »
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 01:58:43 pm »

I wanted to post a thank-you to the maintainers. The wiki is an invaluable source of information, many many people would be unable to play without it. Three cheers!
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Auto Slaughter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2010, 02:00:38 pm »

BTW the wiki can be searched and read by adding your search terms here and clicking on the "cached" links instead of the main links in the search results.

I guess it's a bit late if you've already rewritten MediaWiki in Ruby but check out JAMWiki, a Java-based reimplementation of MW.  The dude writing it is pretty hardcore and is following very good development practices; his intention is to create the premier wiki software that would be used by corporate audiences.  He's got login working through Spring Security so you can already do crazy things like have your wiki users authenticated through an LDAP directory.  Lucene for search... he's aiming for maximum MW compatibility and he's already got basic templates functioning very well.

The default is for it to run with a SQLite database or something file-based like that so you don't even have to set up MySQL if you don't want too (and then you don't have to set up database backups, a file backup gets everything, which suits me perfectly for my small wiki site.)

I run JAMWiki on Resin Server, which includes their Quercus Java implementation of PHP 5.2, so it's pretty cool - I can mix JSP pages and Java apps with PHP pages, many major OSS PHP applications run, but I can call Java classes from PHP if I need to.
Legendary Idler
“There's nothing better than a party that turns into a death trap.”

               — Russell T Davies, Doctor Who writer, speaking of some of his more popular plot lines

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WIKI DOWNTIME- Status: Onlining (memory NOM NOM NOM)
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2010, 02:48:01 pm »

I can mix JSP pages and Java apps with PHP pages, many major OSS PHP applications run, but I can call Java classes from PHP if I need to.
This... this... is unholy insanity. Not that SEAM is better... I hate bloated, buggy, retarded by design Java frameworks.

Auto Slaughter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2010, 03:52:20 pm »

I can mix JSP pages and Java apps with PHP pages, many major OSS PHP applications run, but I can call Java classes from PHP if I need to.
This... this... is unholy insanity. Not that SEAM is better... I hate bloated, buggy, retarded by design Java frameworks.

Yeah, it's pretty awesome to create a datasource by just throwing a JNDI URI in a configuration file and setting a few parameters rather than dealing with the junk sculpture of database support in PHP (mysql or mysqli? ADOdb or ADOdb Lite or MDB or MDB2?)

PHP on Quercus / Resin is actually much faster than Apache with normal PHP (haven't tried nginx with PHP though, that might be faster).  And you can pay for the "Professional" version of Resin (the free one is GPLed) which will internally, transparently compile PHP pages into Java classes so that they run even faster.

JAMWiki is just screamingly faster than MediaWiki on the same hardware, in fact I don't even know what the MW developers must be doing to make it so slow.  There must be some major spaghetti code in there somewhere.
Legendary Idler

               — Russell T Davies, Doctor Who writer, speaking of some of his more popular plot lines

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2010, 03:57:31 pm »

words

Not the place for a language war, please.

Current Status: /o\

Auto Slaughter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2010, 04:05:44 pm »

Also, if you haven't come across it yet there's also Phalanger, which is an implementation of PHP in Microsoft .NET. It seems much less complete than Quercus though and it's academically backed rather than corporate-backed like Quercus is.

words

Sorry, I didn't intend to start a war or a siege or anything with my words, just relating my experiences with MediaWiki alternatives.  I'm actually more of a PHP guy than a Java guy although I use Maven for doing builds.

But while we are touching on languages, is there a particular build system that is popular among Ruby developers?  I'm not very familiar with Ruby.
Legendary Idler

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2010, 04:27:55 pm »

Also, if you haven't come across it yet there's also Phalanger, which is an implementation of PHP in Microsoft .NET. It seems much less complete than Quercus though and it's academically backed rather than corporate-backed like Quercus is.

words

Sorry, I didn't intend to start a war or a siege or anything with my words, just relating my experiences with MediaWiki alternatives.  I'm actually more of a PHP guy than a Java guy although I use Maven for doing builds.

But while we are touching on languages, is there a particular build system that is popular among Ruby developers?  I'm not very familiar with Ruby.

Ruby has a utility called 'rake' which is analogous to make.  However, you're usually not compiling with Ruby, so it's used more for task scripts of sorts.

Emi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WIKI IS UP
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2010, 05:13:52 pm »

Yes. We know. Problems. We're trying to figure out our next move right now.

Classico

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2010, 05:40:04 pm »

I wanted to post a thank-you to the maintainers. The wiki is an invaluable source of information, many many people would be unable to play without it. Three cheers!

This x100
Urist McRipley: I say we take off and flood the site with magma. It's the only way to be sure.

Emi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2010, 05:58:20 pm »

We've determined the problem to be issues in compatibility with php 5.3.x. We're attempting to resolve this now.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2010, 06:06:53 pm »

Problems resolved. Woo!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4