Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: sort-of-newbie: pump stacks  (Read 1792 times)

cikulisu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
sort-of-newbie: pump stacks
« on: September 18, 2010, 06:13:24 am »

hello there, again. i checked the wiki and was unable to divine an asswer: do all of the components of a pump have to be magma safe to avoid catastrophe? and is iron made from magnetite/hematite magma safe?

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: sort-of-newbie: pump stacks
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 06:14:01 am »

Pump-stack components need not be magma-safe yet. Iron is not magma-safe to my knowledge.

cikulisu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 06:19:27 am »

;shifty-eyes; so, none of it has to be magma safe? all that bothering to find bauxite was all for naught?  :'(

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 06:22:01 am »

You know what - you might as well test this first, I could be completely wrong, but I think wood works.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 06:27:32 am »

For pumping water, Magma-safe is not a requirement.

For pumping Magma, Magma-safe is required for all 3 parts or any pumps containing non-Magma-safe materials will, eventually, deconstruct, screwing the entire stack from that point _up_.

AFAIK Iron is in fact Magma-safe, & IIRC melts a couple of hundred Urists higher than Steel or Pig Iron.

Bauxite was the only Magma-safe stone in 40d, for DF2010 check this list. Bauxite was thus a requirement for anything that both had to be made of Rock & be Magma-safe, it is no longer quite so essential.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 06:47:37 am »

JAFANZ is right: Iron is magma safe and the entire pump needs to be magma safe if you're pumping magma.

Now, advanced tactic here, but if you *really* need magma somewhere *right now* you can forgo magma safe materials and get a few minutes out of the pump before it deconstructs.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 06:49:38 am »

Wow, I was completely wrong. When did this get changed?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 07:12:19 am »

Pump components need to be magma-safe or glass to pump magma indefinitely, but as pointed out above there's no harm in simply building multiple wooden ones and letting them deconstruct.

cikulisu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 08:36:22 am »

here's a question: how do you actually build these things? you obviously have to have some sort of access to them so your dwarves can build them. do you just have stairs on either side of the pump? and if so, wouldn't this flood those access stairs with magma?

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 09:23:46 am »

here's a question: how do you actually build these things? you obviously have to have some sort of access to them so your dwarves can build them. do you just have stairs on either side of the pump? and if so, wouldn't this flood those access stairs with magma?
I have a couple excellent illustrations posted on the wiki for just his occasion! http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Pump#Pump_stack

The method I've drawn there is not the most efficient, but it is the most foolproof. Note in particular (since we're talking about magma) that the door on the containment side does not need to be but should be magma safe and locked. Objects are not destroyed by magma until they are submerged (pumps use a different mechanism for their heat transfer, which is why you can use a wooden pump to move magma for much longer than is sane). Locked is also important. At random times for stupid reasons dwarves will try to open them to do Armok only knows on the other side. Clean, usually. And when they do that magma will leak out into the service area. Not a ton, but I can guarantee it will muck up pathing. The other option is to lock off access to the entire stack at the top and bottom.

As far as power, 4 water wheels will power 36 pumps if the distance isn't too far. I usually build six water wheels just because, even if I'm not building that many pumps.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 09:41:48 am »

Remember how useless orthoclase used to be? Guess what? It's magma safe now. Which means you have a common magma safe stone on pretty much every site now.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 10:16:37 am »

If you try pumping magma with wooden components in 0.31, it will instantly burst into flames; in 40d, it would usually last a few minutes before burning up, and it would occasionally keep working indefinitely. Furthermore, there seems to be some oddities with magma-safeness in 0.31 - while you cannot use a magma-unsafe stone block, it seems to work just fine with magma-unsafe metal components (in one test, a copper screw pump handled magma just fine for several months). If you have access to sand, know that all 3 types of glass are (and always have been) completely magma-safe, having the same melting point as bauxite.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 10:55:31 am »

Don't quote me on this, but I think which components are and are-not magma safe have a lot to do with how long the pump will last.

I've had a pump with an iron screw and bauxite block, but a wooden pipe section pump magma for a year and not break (back in one of the .40d's though, maybe not now).  A iron pipe and iron screw but weaksauce stone block only lasted a minute or so.

This reeks of something to try some dwarven SCIENCE upon... Too bad my current fort is low-pop, else I'd set this up right now.  Hell, might just make a new fort to try it anyway...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 11:00:18 am by koruth »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 11:10:18 am »

I have a couple excellent illustrations posted on the wiki for just his occasion! http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Pump#Pump_stack

The method I've drawn there is not the most efficient, but it is the most foolproof. Note in particular (since we're talking about magma) that the door on the containment side does not need to be but should be magma safe and locked. Objects are not destroyed by magma until they are submerged (pumps use a different mechanism for their heat transfer, which is why you can use a wooden pump to move magma for much longer than is sane). Locked is also important. At random times for stupid reasons dwarves will try to open them to do Armok only knows on the other side. Clean, usually. And when they do that magma will leak out into the service area. Not a ton, but I can guarantee it will muck up pathing. The other option is to lock off access to the entire stack at the top and bottom.

As far as power, 4 water wheels will power 36 pumps if the distance isn't too far. I usually build six water wheels just because, even if I'm not building that many pumps.
Just build floodgates if, and only if, you'll think you need access to there at some point. Otherwise, just build a wall, since even constructed wooden walls are immune to magma.

As far as I know, floodgates(and doors) only need to be fireproof, as long as they don't open(letting magma into their tile), they won't melt.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 08:05:48 pm »

Yes, you have to have the entire pump be magma-safe, I built a 50+ Z-level pump stack for the magma sea and must've designated a wood block somewhere in there because the stack failed after a bit.
Pages: [1] 2