Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Epic artifact is EPIC!  (Read 2856 times)

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: Epic artifact is EPIC!
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 10:58:28 am »

So you plan to create uber planepacked?

Make sure it's a weaponsmith. 10 million dwarfbuck sword, anyone?

Are you sure you'd want to? You never know what might happen if it's an artifact that isn't securely locked away inside your fortress.

Though it would be hilarious to see the number of kobolds that would swarm your fortress if any of them actually managed to make off with a 10M+ valued artifact. Honestly I think it's worth doing this exploit now just for that.

You get something that valuable there's nothing to do but put it in its own room with traps in the entrance hallway, a permanent garrison of your best soldiers, a zoo of every animal you can get, and war elephants.

Edit: and just for good measure, set the whole room to collapse into lava if someone DOES manage to get to the artifact.
And then you make an Indiana Jones movie out of it.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 11:37:10 am »

So you plan to create uber planepacked?

Make sure it's a weaponsmith. 10 million dwarfbuck sword, anyone?

Are you sure you'd want to? You never know what might happen if it's an artifact that isn't securely locked away inside your fortress.

Though it would be hilarious to see the number of kobolds that would swarm your fortress if any of them actually managed to make off with a 10M+ valued artifact. Honestly I think it's worth doing this exploit now just for that.

You get something that valuable there's nothing to do but put it in its own room with traps in the entrance hallway, a permanent garrison of your best soldiers, a zoo of every animal you can get, and war elephants.

Edit: and just for good measure, set the whole room to collapse into lava if someone DOES manage to get to the artifact.
And then you make an Indiana Jones movie out of it.
Didn't you mean Kobold Jones? ;D

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 11:40:43 am »

I prefer Indiana Jreengus.

But yeah, Pressure-Plate traps that release a flood of water that pushes you off a narrow bridge and into a punji pit, slams doors shut, triggers blowgun traps in the walls, and releases Snakemen.

He hates Snakemen.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 12:40:22 pm »

"We named the dog Indiana."
"I loved that dog. He was delicious. I'm wearing him right now!" (shows off -dog leather loincloth-)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 12:43:17 pm by caknuck »
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 01:27:17 pm »

But yeah, Pressure-Plate traps that release a flood of water that pushes you off a narrow bridge and into a punji pit, slams doors shut, triggers blowgun traps in the walls, and releases Snakemen helmet snakes.

He hates Snakemen helmet snakes.
Helmet snakes are more Fun.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 01:55:46 pm »

But yeah, Pressure-Plate traps that release a flood of water that pushes you off a narrow bridge and into a punji pit, slams doors shut, triggers blowgun traps in the walls, and releases Snakemen helmet snakes clowns.

He hates Snakemen helmet snakes clowns.
Helmet snakes Clowns are more Fun.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 02:38:36 pm »

So, uber artifact amulet defended by all sorts of excessive traps. Heh. Sounds like a challenge for Kobold Camp adventurers: One player resets the Kobold Camp mod to play as Dwarves in Fortress mode, creates an elaborate puzzle trap to store a Planepacked artifact, abandons/loses the fortress and hands the save over to the Kobold adventurer who embarks on a quest to steal it.

Would probably need some rules, like the trap has to be able to be reset (so that players can try multiple times), or at least resetable until the final lava flood trap, and, of course, it has to be technically possible to escape with the artifact, even if improbable.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 03:13:27 pm »

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 03:14:32 pm »

Dariush I literally just figured out that your avatar is a !!dwarf!! not a dwarf with crazy hair raising the roof...

OT:
So, uber artifact amulet defended by all sorts of excessive traps. Heh. Sounds like a challenge for Kobold Camp adventurers: One player resets the Kobold Camp mod to play as Dwarves in Fortress mode, creates an elaborate puzzle trap to store a Planepacked artifact, abandons/loses the fortress and hands the save over to the Kobold adventurer who embarks on a quest to steal it.

Would probably need some rules, like the trap has to be able to be reset (so that players can try multiple times), or at least resetable until the final lava flood trap, and, of course, it has to be technically possible to escape with the artifact, even if improbable.
sounds like a good idea to me
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 04:27:51 pm »

Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2010, 04:35:28 pm »

I wonder how big an integer the fortress value can go to. There's only one way to find out.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2010, 09:23:01 am »

My experiment has begun, but it's going a little weird. The smith seems to be only interested in planepacking adamantine into the weapon/armor that he's making, even though stone, bones, rough gems, and wood are all on his material list. When ever the stockpile runs out of adamantine he'll stop going back, but as long as there is adamantine he'll go get it. In contrast I've planepacked some comparatively moderate artifacts in this fort using dozens and dozens of different types of stone. I've got 60 some odd adamantine in my stockpiles, so even if I can't planepack the entire metals stockpile this is still going to be a bitchin expensive item. I would really love to pack those 300 iron, 200 steel, and 200 brass bars in as well, though... and he's got rough gems on his list! That's dozens of emeralds!

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2010, 09:40:21 am »

Watch, he makes it into a war hammer.
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2010, 09:46:28 am »

Yeah, for some reason he wouldn't planepack anything but adamantine. Which s a shame because I have massive stockpiles of metals, gems, and obsidian that could have resulted in something truly mind blowing, but as it is 73 adamantine wafers packed into this:

Inallerteth Irlomtaran, Lulltangles the Permanent Shark a adamantine chain leggings. Basic Value 27,153,600.

I must say I'm a bit disappointed. I wish I had a save to scum that wasn't so far back. I guess I could have stopped feeding him adamantine when I realized that he wasn't behaving normally, but I guess asking for bugs to behave consistently is a bit hypocritical. I guess I can always keep going with this fort, mine out all the remaining ore (I barely touched the solid layers, so there's still thousands of iron, tin, copper, and lead left) and I might have a second adamantine vein. I used obsidian housing to fully mine the first one, and I think I've got three more safe slices in that one before I risk breaking the seal, and that's at least another 20-30 adamantine there. If I can find another vein there's an additional 100, and then it's just waiting.
Pages: 1 [2]