Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Find that ore!  (Read 2664 times)

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Find that ore!
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 02:27:29 am »

Er, that thing actually works?

It always crashes when I use it.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 04:19:00 am »

Er, that thing actually works?

It always crashes when I use it.
What does?  Using the mouse for designation?  Or are you talking about the mouse-mod?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 03:25:12 pm »

Macros for the diagonals would be pretty simple. Just record one line of squares and drop the mouse back to below and over one from the first square. Ctrl+p a few times and voila. Or even record enough rows to actually set up a square block of the pattern and go nuts with that-

You guys are overthinking the ore hunt though. No vein is so small that it could hide in a single or even double wide patch of blackness. You can reveal tons less than that and still find everything.

But there's still an even faster way to find everything.
Up/down stairs. Click the mouse down and then scroll up or down however far you want. Each tile dug will reveal a 3x3 block so even if you want to have 0 black space in your mine this is still pretty fast.

If you can somehow designate super fast you could do it even a bit quicker by telling them to channel diagonally down so that each action revealed 3 squares and the level of the channel and the 3x3 the next level down.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 03:28:56 pm by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Arbitrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 03:36:20 pm »

When strip mining i simply dig out 3-tile wide hallways with 11 x 11 squares uncovered.  Picks up most veins and it's dead easy to designate and forget about.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 05:21:22 pm »

while those let you discover most veins, mine lets me discover all possible veins.  it also makes a wonderful space to engrave the history of the world on ;) (i like having a 1z level "library" that is 2x10 blocks perfectly spaced *everywhere* except in the central lobby and everything engraved by my engraver who has been practicing in the mines and my fort.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 07:22:27 pm »

Technically the up/down stairs way I mentioned make for good engraving as well. 8/9ths as many tiles should still be plenty plus they are walls so people won't be walking on the record of when Urist felled that undulating bronze forgotten beast.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 07:27:12 pm »

mine resemble bookcases  8) hence, library....also, each stairway is one less engraveable spot...
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 07:28:52 pm »

while those let you discover most veins, mine lets me discover all possible veins.

I have never seen a non-adamantine vein fit entirely inside a 20x20 area. There's always an end poking out. And that's almost four times the size of the blocks Arbitrax uses. Small clusters are rarely important enough to deliberately seek out. You'll get more than enough gems digging out the tunnels.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 07:31:46 pm »

...i have seen lots of veins it within that area...maybe you get lucky and have awesome veins? ???

regardless, i like the library effect.  it is nice knowing that every. single. possible. spot.  has been engraved.
[DWARFINEERING]

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2010, 11:53:44 am »

mine resemble bookcases  8) hence, library....also, each stairway is one less engraveable spot...
Filthy human/elven libraries sure. True dwarves have all vertical bookcases.

Besides, it isn't EVERY tile engraved. You use stairs too, just fewer of them. Nonetheless you settle for some fraction of tiles being engraved below 100%.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 06:33:38 pm by Shoku »
Pages: 1 [2]