Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Name Challenge  (Read 1718 times)

taerh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Name Challenge
« on: September 16, 2010, 06:36:43 pm »

On starting my fortress, I decided to take the challenge of fulfilling my fortress' name. When I set out, I saw that my fortress' name was Grizzlyoiled. Now, where to find some veteran lotion?

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Name Challenge
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 06:44:55 pm »

I think it's a little more obvious than that. Go for 100 barrels of rendered grizzly bear fat.

Edit: Mind if I join you in this challenge? I'm about to start a new fortress and I'll take the first name my fortress gets. Interpreting it should be fun.

Edit: Okay got my fortress name.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Windlens. I'm thinking something to do with windows? Or perhaps an open-air building made entirely out of clear glass?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:06:55 pm by Lemunde »

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 07:08:43 pm »

I think it's a little more obvious than that. Go for 100 barrels of rendered grizzly bear fat.

Edit: Mind if I join you in this challenge? I'm about to start a new fortress and I'll take the first name my fortress gets. Interpreting it should be fun.

I did this once, and got my fortress as "The moist tower" and a group of "The lashes of Moistening". My goal was clear. Build a flooded tower with a lash stockpile.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 08:55:55 pm »

I'm a perpetual newbie, so I don't think I'm ready to take up a name challenge (...though my current fort, if .13 bugs don't delay it until .14, is named after a challenge I'm making for myself: Sandcage: A giant hourglass megastructure), but I think I read enough to make some suggestions.

Grizzlyoiled: Rendered bear fat seems about as good a suggestion as any. Another idea that comes to mind: Make some kind of bear-killing machine/trap that is "oiled" by the blood of the bears.

Windlens: Giant round glass floor(s) suspended high above ground with some (technically decorative) windmills to power some kind of focusing mechanisms.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 08:58:10 pm »

I'm a perpetual newbie, so I don't think I'm ready to take up a name challenge (...though my current fort, if .13 bugs don't delay it until .14, is named after a challenge I'm making for myself: Sandcage: A giant hourglass megastructure), but I think I read enough to make some suggestions.

Grizzlyoiled: Rendered bear fat seems about as good a suggestion as any. Another idea that comes to mind: Make some kind of bear-killing machine/trap that is "oiled" by the blood of the bears.

Windlens: Giant round glass floor(s) suspended high above ground with some (technically decorative) windmills to power some kind of focusing mechanisms.

The idea is to randomly generate a name and do something with that, not come up with one yourself.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 09:16:51 pm »

Well I wasn't quite sure where to take this so I decided to start by making the entire top half of my fortress out of clear glass.  And without magma at that.  Yeah, it's a very long process but I got all the corner walls done and channeled out a moat to keep all the riff-raff out until I get my walls up.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 09:23:44 pm »

Ok, think up a challenge for a little place called Canyonoar.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 09:30:19 pm »

The idea is to randomly generate a name and do something with that, not come up with one yourself.
Yes, I'm aware, hence the start of my post mentioning that I'm not confident in my abilities to do the challenge. Forgive me if my parenthetical rambling ended up so long you forgot.

---

Onto making suggestions for other people:

Canyonoar: Giant wooden oar sticking into a water-filled canyon?
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 09:47:32 pm »

Your post made me get it! A canyon shaped like an oar!
No, I'm not actually going to do that.  I don't play it anymore due to FPS.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 09:52:32 pm »

I'm currently playing a fort called Fataxe.

In which my fortress is the only civilization left on the earth - probably because of the 1000 titans I had generated in a pocket region.

So I'm planning to have only 1 military guy - an axelord. Who will do no training until he's fat. REALLY fat. And if he ever becomes not-fat, it's back to the dining hall for him.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 10:02:50 pm »

I think I've already nearly met my own name challenge -- Marytyredhounds. Lost about a dozen war hounds to the first wave of goblin ambushes.

I should build them an elaborate tomb and a church.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 11:44:57 pm »

Earthstood.

Hm. What could that mean?

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 11:48:59 pm »

Earthstood.

Hm. What could that mean?

A massive wooden (and therefore perfectly lifelike) statue of Keanu Reeves?

That or an entire mountain based on a single support of the flimsiest substance you can find.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 12:07:09 am »

On starting my fortress, I decided to take the challenge of fulfilling my fortress' name. When I set out, I saw that my fortress' name was Grizzlyoiled. Now, where to find some veteran lotion?

Evidently, you must build a Grizzly Bear Soap arena for wrestling in.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

MountainGnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 04:06:00 am »

Cosmiciron....

Yeah I guess I'll hollow out a giant 4z room in this mountain and put some sort of iron astrolabe.  Or maybe containing a small planetarium with an iron earth and moon.
Pages: [1] 2