Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any apocalypse survivor games?  (Read 1371 times)

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
Any apocalypse survivor games?
« on: September 16, 2010, 06:09:20 pm »

Would be a great game Idea, I didn't see any scrolling through a couple pages of Google. Was hoping someone could show me an Apocalypse game other than Fallout?
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any apocalypse survivor games?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 06:12:00 pm »

Wasteland
Visions of Aftermath

There was also some wasteland caravan flash game, but I forget what it was called.

Twerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 06:15:13 pm »

You're referring to Cavaneer, Meanmelter. It was nice insofar that its combat system reminded me a lot of XCom, but it was pretty upsetting they developed a very solid base for it, and then never really did much other than 'Look! Lots of different guns! And sometimes vehicles/immobile barricades can get hit!'
Free-to-play games are like the fountains in NetHack. At first, they look refreshing, but when you approach snakes pour out and eat you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 06:21:09 pm »

Warzone 2100.

There's actually quite a few (well, relatively speaking) post-apoc RTSes... it's just that most of them suck. Warzone 2.1k's one of the exceptions that rule. KKnD wasn't utterly horrible, either -- far from great, but there's worse ones. OP didn't say anything about 'good', either :P

Could try rogue survivor, which is one th'front page; though it's zombie apoc, not some other kind. You looking for anything more specific?

You might want to hunt down Alphaman -- well, here's a direct, untested, link: http://hem.passagen.se/gbjor/Alphaman/alpman11.zip. EDIT: That didn't work. Go here for links. Post-apoc roguelike of the b-movie variety. Pretty decent for its age.

S'all I got at th'mo, though. Might try rummaging through one of the home of the underdog revamps (hotud.org, ferex) for post-apoc stuff. There's a good chunkload there.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 06:24:09 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 06:22:41 pm »

HellMOO?

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 06:23:31 pm »

Well, erm, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. takes place in a Class 0 Apocalypse Scenario.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 06:34:12 pm »

Wasteland
Visions of Aftermath

There was also some wasteland caravan flash game, but I forget what it was called.
Playing the first one. Reminds me of Bards tale.
Boomtown will be next.

You're referring to Cavaneer, Meanmelter. It was nice insofar that its combat system reminded me a lot of XCom, but it was pretty upsetting they developed a very solid base for it, and then never really did much other than 'Look! Lots of different guns! And sometimes vehicles/immobile barricades can get hit!'
Ehh, it was fun, until you get pwned by making long runs

Warzone 2100.

There's actually quite a few (well, relatively speaking) post-apoc RTSes... it's just that most of them suck. Warzone 2.1k's one of the exceptions that rule. KKnD wasn't utterly horrible, either -- far from great, but there's worse ones. OP didn't say anything about 'good', either :P

Could try rogue survivor, which is one th'front page; though it's zombie apoc, not some other kind. You looking for anything more specific?

You might want to hunt down Alphaman -- well, here's a direct, untested, link: http://hem.passagen.se/gbjor/Alphaman/alpman11.zip. EDIT: That didn't work. Go here for links. Post-apoc roguelike of the b-movie variety. Pretty decent for its age.

S'all I got at th'mo, though. Might try rummaging through one of the home of the underdog revamps (hotud.org, ferex) for post-apoc stuff. There's a good chunkload there.
Looks very interesting, will look into after I play Boomtown
Well, erm, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. takes place in a Class 0 Apocalypse Scenario.
Ohh yeah! I was going to buy that. If only I had some $

I remember PlumpHelmetPunk did a LP of that and I was like "Its like FALLOUT only more of an assassin role!"
Sucks both Fallout and STALKER have the same issues, The creators release buggy games.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 07:12:52 pm »

Stalker is worth it though, now that it's patched and modded to hell and back. Really, try SoC. It's a totally unique atmosphere despite the fact that everyone has done mutants and wastelands already. SoC still gets genuine scares out of me, and genuinely intrigued me with what it presented (despite how roughly coded some parts of it still are.)

Compared to Fallout 3, where the only time I smiled was when they lit off one nuke or another, and yeah, it's definitely worth whatever it's running for these days.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti