Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I power a pumpstack?  (Read 863 times)

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I power a pumpstack?
« on: September 15, 2010, 10:03:36 am »

So I finally finished my 30 z-level pumpstack to bring mamga to the world. Only problem is, I haven't the faintest idea how to power it. I had thought that if I built the pumpstacks on top of each other, power would transfer down the stack (like it does for windmills) through the floor, but no dice.

I then tried to remove the floor so that the screw pumps would be touching directly, but learned you can't build a pumpstack over open space.

So how do you power a pumpstack? :/

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I power a pumpstack?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 10:09:54 am »

Like this. I don't think anyone can give you a better explanation than that.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 01:04:00 pm »

So I finally finished my 30 z-level pumpstack to bring mamga to the world. Only problem is, I haven't the faintest idea how to power it. I had thought that if I built the pumpstacks on top of each other, power would transfer down the stack (like it does for windmills) through the floor, but no dice.

The fact that windmills can be made to transfer power through solid floors is a bug - you're supposed to build them hanging over a gear assembly or vertical axle.

I then tried to remove the floor so that the screw pumps would be touching directly, but learned you can't build a pumpstack over open space.

You need to only remove the floor underneath the impassable tile of the pump, then you'll be good. Granted, you'll have to build the stack one pump at a time - although the game will allow you to designate a screw pump that's only supported by a designated machine component, it'll collapse and deconstruct in short order if that other machine component isn't constructed first.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

SpawnoChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mongbat
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 01:50:49 pm »

The fact that windmills can be made to transfer power through solid floors is a bug - you're supposed to build them hanging over a gear assembly or vertical axle.

That's how I tried to build mine, but it wouldn't let me build over the hanging gear assembly. It said that it needs solid ground. I had to revert to building it on solid ground and transferring the power through the floor.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - The Call of Cthulhu

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 03:08:38 pm »

This info helped me figure it out when i was first trying to work out my drainage systems the dark green is the impassable part:

Article in the wiki the pic is from also a good resource

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 04:32:30 pm »

New question: How do I power a pumpstack? As in, get the 300 odd power I need to actually USE that pumpstack!

Syff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 04:38:49 pm »

At 100 power each, setting up a waterwheel farm is probably your best bet.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 05:25:09 pm »

New question: How do I power a pumpstack? As in, get the 300 odd power I need to actually USE that pumpstack!

Windmills if you have 40 power on the map. Windmills send power to the z-level below where their central tile is. Then you use a gear assembly to change the direction of the power (either from vertically to horizontally, or from left/right horizontal to up/down horizontal). You can also use vertical or horizontal axles to channel the power to another gear assembly, with your central gear assembly being one z-level directly above the power-receiving part of the upper pump of the pump stack. 300 power is a lot and even if you have 40 wind power on the map (the most, although you can have 20 or 0, in which case you can't use wind power at all). Gear assemblies use a whopping 5 power each and axles aren't free at 1 power usage. That means the gear components themselves will eat up power. If you're careful you won't lose too much power though. 300 power requirement means you'll needs lots and lots of mills so plan accordingly. Windmills must be placed outside I think so they will never be truly safe against external building destroying flying megabeasts.

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 07:54:39 pm »

Windmills if you have 40 power on the map. Windmills send power to the z-level below where their central tile is. Then you use a gear assembly to change the direction of the power (either from vertically to horizontally, or from left/right horizontal to up/down horizontal). You can also use vertical or horizontal axles to channel the power to another gear assembly, with your central gear assembly being one z-level directly above the power-receiving part of the upper pump of the pump stack. 300 power is a lot and even if you have 40 wind power on the map (the most, although you can have 20 or 0, in which case you can't use wind power at all). Gear assemblies use a whopping 5 power each and axles aren't free at 1 power usage. That means the gear components themselves will eat up power. If you're careful you won't lose too much power though. 300 power requirement means you'll needs lots and lots of mills so plan accordingly. Windmills must be placed outside I think so they will never be truly safe against external building destroying flying megabeasts.

I wonder if you build walls directly adjacent to them, and completely wall them in, if there would be no space for them to land. A second level of wall may be needed to prevent them from landing on the wall and still being able to attack the windmills.

Impudence12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 10:49:16 pm »

For 300 power you'd be best making a couple DWR's.
♪ This used to be a Funhouse ♫
♫ But now it's full of evil clowns ♪
♪ It's time to start the countdown ♫
♫ I'm gonna burn it down, down, down ♪

DavesWorld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 11:19:54 pm »

As I just finished my first 2010 "bringing magma up from the sea" pump stack, I can chime in a bit.

The wiki pages for Pump Stack and Power should be read.  Skimming through a forum search for "pump stack" might help some too.  The pump stack should be built in the following alternating pattern: 0101 and 1010, where 0s are channeled tiles (i.e., empty space) and 1s are solid ground.  Build up from the bottom, and all pumps will be both powered and stacked such that the magma shoots up to the top of the stack when you finally flip it on.  Obviously, unless you prefer fun - http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Fun - you should double check that everything is sealed so you can't flood your fortress with magma.

Over-make magma-safe blocks, pipes, and corkscrews for the stack; also over-make mechanisms for any gears you might find you need.  It'll probably be easier to just setup your bauxite mason and mechanic ahead of time and churn out a LOT than it will be to futz around making them as you go; but YMMV.

As for the power, that wiki page has a section on perpetual motion machines.  I created two following the guidelines listed, each generating 300 power (I had space issues, plus was engaging in Dwarven !Science!, so had to jury rig the designs into my available area), and linked them to the top of the stack.

Briefly, a box shaped channel with the pump in the middle.  You can use a grate on the pump level to reach the pump over the channel if needed.  The pump is two tiles high by one tile wide.  You can connect wheels on either side.  Mine was two wheels on the right, one on the left.  I found I needed an extra row of splash channel on the output side of the plant pump to keep the water in the channel and off the ground (my plants were on the surface, connecting down to the top of my stack three levels underground); but I suppose you could also use walls/roofs to contain the water.

By itself, my ~30 level stack needed ~370 power, which included some power and stack transfers around the caverns that were in the way.  After I connected the power plant it was ~570, but the plant generated 600.  If I'd needed more I could have just shoehorned either more wheels or a third plant into the circuit.  That generated a happy rising magma level that filled the channels under my chosen Magma Shops area.

Hope it helps.  The Wiki is your friend.
I'm not proud of it, but we've run out of coffins
 - Robocorn, at the fortress of Battlefailed -