Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal training.  (Read 511 times)

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal training.
« on: September 15, 2010, 09:41:49 am »

I've never really done much of this beyond making some war dogs.. I have around 40 dogs and one elephant. How do I get the trainer to train up the elephant to be a war animal not the dogs ?? The wiki info is not straightforward, imo.

What other options are there without a beast master ?
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal training.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 01:01:15 pm »

Animal trainers won't train animals in cages or on restraints, so you can temporarily cage all your dogs (build a cage, q - a over it and assign all dogs to it) and have the elephant the only animal available to train.

SpawnoChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mongbat
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 01:48:32 pm »

Here's a problem that I'm having. My animal trainers won't train any animals... despite there being around 200 stray dogs that say "waiting to be trained".

I have a kennel constructed and the necessary skills assigned to train animals. What am I missing?

I go to the kennel and select "train war dog". The trainer gets there and gives the message "no appropriate animal to be trained' or something like that.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - The Call of Cthulhu

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 02:15:43 pm »

You have most likely cages all the appropriate animals. They wont train anything thats in cages
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 04:11:14 am »

Thanks for the tips. What a pain in the ass animal training is currently.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 05:51:53 am »

How do I get the trainer to train up the elephant to be a war animal not the dogs ??
Unless something changed recently, you need some tag like CAN_TRAIN for a critter to be trainable, and only dogs have that tag.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 05:52:38 am »

How do I get the trainer to train up the elephant to be a war animal not the dogs ??
Unless something changed recently, you need some tag like [TRAINABLE] for a critter to be trainable, and only dogs have that tag.
Fixed.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 06:11:54 am »

There are obviously more animals with said tag. I had for example a polar bear trained.

edit
Lots of them: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Kennel#Trainable_animals , even elephants.
/edt
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 06:14:20 am by Laurin »