Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 300543 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (game on Saturday) (always recruiting)
« Reply #1695 on: June 10, 2011, 03:53:29 am »

Spoiler: Letter home (click to show/hide)
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: June 10, 2011, 01:08:12 pm »

When you cast web, you'll need something to anchor it to other than the ground if you want to leave it as a trap for people to walk into later; otherwise, it's basically an instantaneous-duration spell. You shoot webs at people, they get caught, then the webs fall on the floor.

I don't really know about the party fund; some people are claiming small chunks, but a lot of the payment from last session seems to be unused. I'm going to finalize who gets how much just before the next session starts, and put the rest in the party fund for you guys.

Side note: the benefit of Magical Thingers of Food Creation is that they tend to weigh very little, and take up almost no space... as opposed to trail rations, which are hard to fit into a mundane backpack. But yes, when you have a mobile base to carry your food in, magical food is highly unecoNOMical.

What level of spell is shark bolt?

Dwarmin, your sheet looks okay to me, except that you should probably put in your save DC's and how many spells per day you get... plus you'll want to actually prepare some spells, I should think. (A druid with spell focus (evocation). This is going to be... well I don't know how this is going to be, let's just hope for awesome)

I'll approve Wraithstrike, but I'm changing it so that it only works for the first attack you make using it (the 1 round duration is still in effect, too). So basically, if you full attack with Wraithstrike, only the first attack is going to do anything special. I'm thinking that maybe there should be an Improved version, a level 3 spell, that comes without this restriction.

Your dragonfang greatsword is masterwork, so it gets +1 to attack; it does the Excalibur thing of hitting through armor quite nicely, so it can ignore up to 2 points worth of Armor or Natural Armor bonus to AC; it has 2d8 base damage, and on a critical hit, it adds a bleeding effect, which does 1d2 points of damage to the enemy on their turn. The bleeding effect is removed by heal checks, or any magical hp-healing effect. (then again, when you get a critical hit with something that does 2d8, that much blood loss seems kind of paltry...)

A metamagic feat that reduces casting time from standard to move isn't much less broken than Quicken Spell, because you can still cast 2 spells in one round. So... no, sorry, I can't approve that.

Mass Snake's Swiftness? Oh holy damn that has some major abuse potential. I'm going to make that a level 6 spell, because otherwise people are going to start making one extra attack for every caster in the group, every round.

Charge of the Triceratops looks fine to me.

Goggles of Foefinding also like find goddammit spelling, they look fine.

Lastly, the session. It looks to me like Sunday is more popular (not by a helluva lot, but enough), and I have been confirmed to be not working on Sunday, so let's do the session then. Given that, how many among you can make it, and how many can't?

EDIT: This isn't really related, but... the game Ryzom. You haven't lived until you have shot something to death using an 8-foot-long semiautomatic rocket launcer crafted from the bones of their kin that shoots bullets made of beaks that use feathers as explosives. I do not make this shit up. Anyway, I thought you guys might like that tidbit as inspiration.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 01:14:50 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: June 10, 2011, 01:09:53 pm »

Impossible for me.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: June 10, 2011, 01:12:15 pm »

I can make it.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: June 10, 2011, 02:19:32 pm »

The thing with snake's swiftness is that it's only one additional attack per round per creature. In addition, it doesn't stack with extra attacks from Haste/Speed Weapons.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: June 10, 2011, 02:46:16 pm »

Bullshit.

Your group is average level 3 or so. Maybe four. You also have, what, four druids now? Three of whom the book says should be able to cast this spell. Plus, you have Maelrigar, who is about to be a level 6 sorcerer. If all of you cast Mass Snake's Swiftness, then all of you attack three times in this round; one for every other person who casts the spell. Note that this applies to the noncaster allies like Van and Pheron, too.

Conversely, Maelrigar is the only one among you who is even close to being able to cast haste, which will give one person six extra attacks, hard maximum (at that level), plus 1 AC, +1 to attack, +1 to reflex, +30' movement. Only one of the free attacks happens per round.

Your average group size is what, 8? If you all mob an enemy and one (level 3) person casts Mass Snake's Swiftness, 7 people get a free attack, and you've already out-performed Haste. You've done more free attacks than Haste possibly can, and sooner (so the enemy dies sooner, so you take less damage), plus you don't have to worry about the enemy subsequently moving 10' and rendering you unable to full attack it. A few +1's and movement speed won't make up for that by a long shot. Even if only 3 frontliners are next to an enemy, that one cast will still outperform haste, just because of how much sooner the extra attacks happen.

In a duel, or even in 3-on-3 combat, Haste might be a better choice, yes. However, given our group's size, Mass Snake's Swiftness goes from "quite good" to "downright broken". Note that I say "Haste MIGHT" be a better choice, because against enemies who retreat 30' and then attack you, repeatedly, Haste is nearly useless.

And you have indeed had 6+ ally combat; why, just last session, there was a fight in which 6 among your group participated, because three people had elected to stay with the ship. (granted, one of yours was a toy truck at the time, but that's pretty much irrelevant)
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: June 10, 2011, 03:52:22 pm »

I'm not going to argue that Mass Snake's Swiftness should be 2nd level. I'm going to argue that it should probably be 3rd level, and 6th is way too high.

Quote from: Spell Compendium
This spell does not allow the subject to make more than one additional attack in a round. If the subject has already made an additional  attack, due to a prior casting of this spell, from the haste spell, or from any other source, this spell fails.

Six extra attacks per person? Why, that's six castings of Snake's Swiftness, over six rounds! Now, suppose your hastened guys used TACTICS and, say, instead of just blindly attacking, using their newly increased speed to flank the opponent, forcing him/her to provoke at least one of them, or provoke all and get off an attack, or provoke none and still be vulnerable to the hastened full attack.

Also, I wouldn't be opposed to setting the targets and range to those of Haste: One target/level, close range, no more than 30 feet apart.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: June 10, 2011, 05:53:51 pm »

I missed the part about not allowing a given person to make more than 1 extra attack in a round. That nerfs it a good bit. There's still quite a few munchkiny tactics you can employ with it, but not nearly as bad. So, fine, we'll make it a level 3 druid spell or level 4 sorc/wiz spell, and make it a 15' burst anywhere in Short range. (I've just never liked the Concentric Circles of Spell Range thing that Haste does)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: June 10, 2011, 08:08:41 pm »

Done more research. Added the stuff you said.

Apparently, Spell Focus:Conjuration is only useful as a druid if I want to take augment summoning, correct?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: June 10, 2011, 08:15:53 pm »

Not entirely. Mostly, but not entirely.

If you find a conjuration spell that gives a save, for example, the save increases. There's a couple (or one or two) in the Spell Compendium, and cure spells, being ranged now, probably give a save chance to undead (Mass Cure spells are ranged, and they give Will saves for half)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: June 10, 2011, 08:44:51 pm »

Well, I want to keep it simple, and just blow things up.

Are Stormcasters allowed?

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Stormcaster_(re-write)_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)

If that's way overpowered, or if someone is already playing one, I might just drop the whole druid thing and become a fighter or something lol
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: June 11, 2011, 12:43:48 am »

I'm in for sunday.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: June 11, 2011, 01:35:20 am »

Stormcasters are now approved. Go for it  :D

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: June 11, 2011, 03:44:38 am »

I'll be here on sunday.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Theoboldi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: June 11, 2011, 08:11:53 am »

Sunday is perfect, will be there.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 244