Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Leaky ceiling  (Read 1302 times)

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
Leaky ceiling
« on: September 14, 2010, 06:52:06 pm »

I name a aqueduct to carry water closer to my fort, but the tunnel under the aqueduct is leaking, not badly, just a few 1/7 and 2/7's in sparse spots.

Is their anyway I can capitalize on this development?
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Leaky ceiling
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 07:09:36 pm »

Are you digging underneath an aquifer?  Where did the water come from?  Is it a continuous flow?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 07:26:54 pm »

Are you digging underneath an aquifer?  Where did the water come from?  Is it a continuous flow?

I channeled it from a murky pool, and dug down a few Z-levels down to stone. My aqueduct is fairly long, and eventually dries up, but midway through it drips to the layer below it.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 07:28:39 pm »

What do you mean by "drips"?
As far as I know, water cannot move down a solid floor tile in any way.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 07:36:42 pm »

What do you mean by "drips"?
As far as I know, water cannot move down a solid floor tile in any way.

I had a mine shaft in no way what so ever attached to the aqueduct. The only place water would form is where the aqueduct passed overhead. glitch

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 08:49:48 pm »

Do you have a door or hatch anywhere holding back water which might be opened occasionally by your dwarves?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 08:54:26 pm »

Only a stairway going down to the aqueduct on the surface.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 09:17:34 pm »

I've never seen anything "leak" this way either.  I would think something is backing up and overflowing somewhere along the line.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 09:29:56 pm »

I've never seen anything "leak" this way either.  I would think something is backing up and overflowing somewhere along the line.

I think it's DorfFort just fucking with me.

Stardrinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 10:29:57 pm »

You know, this reminds me of the time one of my forts slowly flooded because water was somehow going through my closed floodgate and I had no idea how it was happening. Only thing I could think of was that water falling through stairs somehow bugs it and lets it pass through barriers that would normally stop water. Do you happen to have water falling through some stairs near where the water is leaking?

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 10:31:39 pm »

I have seen leaky walls too before but just assumed it was a glitch. My aqueduct ran right next to a cellar and the floor along the wall started to grow underground plants and trees. It was all dug out in a sand layer which I thought would explain it, but I never had leaks any where else along the system.

Stardrinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 10:33:31 pm »

I have seen leaky walls too before but just assumed it was a glitch. My aqueduct ran right next to a cellar and the floor along the wall started to grow underground plants and trees. It was all dug out in a sand layer which I thought would explain it, but I never had leaks any where else along the system.

Stuff like that starts growing when you breach a cavern, don't think it has anything to do with moisture in certain areas.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 11:55:50 pm »

I channeled it from a murky pool, and dug down a few Z-levels down to stone. My aqueduct is fairly long, and eventually dries up, but midway through it drips to the layer below it.
You channeled through a murky pool? Murky pools accumulate rain water when it rains, even if they're dry. That could be where your water is coming from, if I understood that correct.

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 12:15:46 am »

Stuff like that starts growing when you breach a cavern, don't think it has anything to do with moisture in certain areas.

Don't misunderstand what I'm talking about, I didn't breach a cavern because it wasn't in DF2010, it was in 40d. I didn't know if the same thing might apply here.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 03:59:41 pm »

Won't water flowing over certain material go down to the next z-level if you have tunneled the z-level under it as well? Conglomerate and something else (puddingstone?) seem to be tickling my mind about this.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!
Pages: [1] 2