Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Geologist  (Read 1498 times)

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
Dwarf Geologist
« on: September 14, 2010, 03:35:05 pm »

One of the most frustrating aspects of digging is only having a 1 cell radius, and no visibility downward.
Dwarfs, being born from the Mountains, should have some level of geology skill.
This is a realistic, limited scope request which could probably be implemented and tested in a single afternoon.

Proposal:
  • New designation, which causes a Geologist (either a new skill, or re-use other stone related skills) to go to the location and test the earth.
  • The designation can only be placed on reachable visible tiles, and can include floor.
  • Based on skill level, she will reveal blocks deeper into the stone without excavating.  Skill determines how long this takes, using the same scale used for mining.  Only reveals 2 tile radius in all directions (including up/down), regardless of skill level.
  • If a vein is discovered, or a vein was designated, the whole vein has a chance to be revealed only for Legendary Geologists.  Higher skill, better chance.

Bonus:  If a Miner has Geology skill, while mining they have a chance to automatically reveal the extra radius.

This would significantly and positively impact gameplay strategy, without destabilizing the game (due to the time it takes to study the rock, and limited distance it works).

Additionally, the amount of code change required is probably very low (if existing skills are recycled for this purpose).

Unfortunately, The Almighty Toad will never read this thread, so unlikely to ever get implemented.   :'(

But hey, there it is.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Dwarf Geologist
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 03:38:11 pm »

Unfortunately, The Almighty Toad will never read this thread, so unlikely to ever get implemented.   :'(

Yeah, it's not like he sets aside time to read the forums or anything.   Luckily, even if he doesn't read this thread, he may've read one of the many other similar ones you can 'dig up' by searching for 'geologist' or 'dowsing'.   It's a wonder what you can find just beneath the surface!   Search 'rocks'!

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 01:06:01 am »

Well this would cause problems around
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and around the less spoilable
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 08:47:42 am »

I know that the other requests exist.
I know how many there are.
I've read them.
Creating a new request thread is typical of this board after a request gets old, isn't it?
I know he reads the forums.  But Toady himself said clearly in interviews that new features are rarely adopted from the forums.

Problems around HFS and caverns are easily avoided.  When an empty space (or adamantine) is within radius, it would simply be left hidden.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 10:40:12 am »

Geology should/would probably use the Mining skill. Legendary miners should know what to expect from the rock.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 12:10:47 pm »

I can dig that.

(pun intended)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 03:45:27 pm »

Creating a new request thread is typical of this board after a request gets old, isn't it?

This forum works best when threads are there for discussions about how specific things could be implemented, rather than for one poster's appeals to Toady to implement one specific idea in a specific way.   Discussion is how Toady knows what the community wants, and via this, posting in existing threads and weighing in is far more useful than the same 'geology' / 'dowsing' / 'rock sense' threads being rehashed every few months.

A strong example is how everyone has their own pet idea about how magic should work, but if everyone were posting their own threads, no one would ever read or agree on any of them, and Toady would have no idea what people want.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 08:05:55 pm »

Well this would cause problems around
and around the less spoilable

cotton candy could be un-see-through-able. like lead to superman.
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 10:54:19 pm »

Hear you, Capntastic, and agree.
Thanks.