Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Maxing out Internet Speed  (Read 3697 times)

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
Maxing out Internet Speed
« on: September 13, 2010, 09:51:37 am »

I recently moved into a dorm. Really nice and everything.

Now, on my HP G72 notebook I get 500 kb/s max, while eveyone else is getting around 10 Mb/s.
I checked the computer with fully updated AVG and turned up nothing.

Anyone got any ideas?

If you have the problem of having lower speed than you should, (everyone else having better speeds on the same line), check this table for problems and solutions.

• Some routers and such divide bandwidth strangely sometimes. SOLUTION: Get a new router?
  • TCP Optimiser might fix it. Set it at the speed you should be getting.
  • The net might just be out of bandwidth. SOLUTION: Wait for others to stop using it (or politely ask them to pause their torrenting of the new Avatar movie.)
  • Check for hidden firewalls, spyware, viruses and other such programs.
Anything I missed?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 03:27:48 pm by BigFatDwarf »
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: 100 Mb/s - but low speed
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 10:04:12 am »

Personally, I find 500 kb/s not something to complain about. Jealously and/or curiosity is the only factor I can see here.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 11:00:09 am »

Actually, it is because we don't have 24h access to the net. Plus it might already be crowded. So I have a limited time there so I'd like to get as much as possible.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 11:14:48 am »

Personally, I find 500 kb/s not something to complain about. Jealously and/or curiosity is the only factor I can see here.
I only get about 50kbs.

<- Is JEALOUS.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 01:47:45 pm »

I can generally get 600kb/s, but with the tv off, I can get 1.2Mb/s.

Others get a speed of 10Mb/s?!

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 02:02:00 pm »

Never heard of optical cables?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 02:13:03 pm »

Plus it might already be crowded

You're on a campus network. You can stop looking for answers.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 03:44:11 pm »

To find the problem you may need to run some tests. First of all, try downloading stuff at the place of your friend who do get a high download speed. It might be that you're on a crowded part of the network. Another indication of this might be that you're getting a lot of packet loss, but the network architecture could be smart enough to load-balance and speed-balance the network to avoid that. If this is the case, running multiple downloads from the same location should only have a minor effect on the speed since you're already sharing with a lot of users. On Windows NT and up the pathping command that you can run from the command line will give you the route to a given address (like google.com or an IP) and the ping time per hop for a default 100 packets. If you're on a crowded router one of the early hops, probably the second, should show a high packet loss or ping compared with the rest. Note that the default setting for 100 packets is quite slow, so don't fret if nothing happens.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 03:46:15 pm by Virex »

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 03:38:33 pm »

First, let's get your units straight...
Are you getting
500 kb/s = 0.5 Mb/s
or
500 kB/s = 4 Mb/s?

Next, where are you getting your speeds from?
Where is "everyone else" getting their speeds from?

I find it very likely that they're connected to a 10 Mb/s switch and you're connected to a 100 Mb/s, so the network adapter settings dialog says "speed: 100.0 Mbps."
Have a couple people run http://www.speedtest.net/ and post the results.

For example, my results are:

Oh, and welcome to college life, by the way.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 03:41:05 pm by Peewee »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 03:42:09 pm »

Or find a student going for an IT major and tell him to fix it and you'll buy him beer.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 03:44:37 pm »

If I'm right, he'd just laugh in his face anyway (as there isn't a problem to be fixed) and take the beer.

*steals beer*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 03:49:46 pm »

If I'm right, he'd just laugh in his face anyway (as there isn't a problem to be fixed) and take the beer.

*steals beer*
You never know what strange crap is installed on people's computers though. I've been doing this for years and know of several programs which could have been installed by 'accident' (aka, user not knowing what the hell he is doing) and could cause something like this. Did you know that a while back the latest graphic drivers from Nvidia came bundled with a simple firewall which installed silently with them if you picked the "typical install" option? It was some marketing thing they did with a personal internet security company.

Thing is, the firewall software would block anything it thought was suspicious, and limit others, and it did all this as silently as the install so you never even knew you had the thing. Pain in the ass. My biggest pet peeve is people who just whack away at the 'next' button during installs without reading anything and then wonder why it didn't work right. And even better is when they try to cover their ignorance by telling me that 'it didn't do that the first time!'. Yeah, a programming gnome snuck in here and changed the installation program while you weren't looking did he?  :D

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 03:19:37 pm »

Okay guys, sorry it took me so long to post. It seems college is ... hard and really time consuming.

Anyway, I kinda managed to fix the problem with TCP Optimizer. Goes around 6-7 Mb/s now.

Also, to answer Peewee's question, I'm sorry if I mixed the b and B. To clarify, I always mean bytes when talking about data unless noted otherwise.
I ... guess I should change the title to help others with similar troubles. Thanks for all the answers, again.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Maxing out Internet Speed
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 06:11:01 am »

I take it none of you here have ever had the experience of 2400 baud?
For they would be your masters.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Maxing out Internet Speed
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 12:30:20 pm »

Slowest I've ever been on was 14400. Which is horrific, practically unusable. And now add AOHell into the mix...

Oh yeah. My childhood was awful.
Pages: [1] 2