Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: I invented a leet defense system! (TEH TOILET TRAP)  (Read 6503 times)

Tupimus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I invented a leet defense system!
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 02:14:46 pm »

i have channels on both sides of the 1x walkway along its entire length.  I plan on placing the water drop traps and weapon traps to see which works more effectively...and i want to test my terrible terrible elephants...
I eagerly await your results. Science!
The main difference is that the trap OP suggested is far more stylish and thus dwarfy than a mere trapped gauntlet run.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 02:30:26 pm »

Well, my first try failed...now I need to build a fort that actually cares about growing its booze plants...>_>  I am thinking 1 woodcutter/carpenter/leader/bookkeeper/broker/manager 2 miners/masons 1 miner/mechanic 2 farmer/brewers 1 farmer/cook as my starting seven.  embarking with lots of booze seeds and sand.  also my breeding elephants.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Marsunpaistii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 02:48:25 pm »

My fortress just got attacked by 3 ambushes at the same time. all the goblins walked into the traps and got slaughtered, tainting the bottom of the pit where the goblinite and corpses end with blood and body parts.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 02:56:11 pm »

excellent...I plan on doing a comparative test by using weapon traps to make them fall off and the toilet method.

EDIT:  GAH! stupid miners trapped them selves and died of thirst  :'(  I liked that spot so I will be reclaiming....
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 02:58:21 pm by Xenos »
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: I invented a leet defense system! (TEH TOILET TRAP)
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2010, 04:07:34 pm »

Or make life easy and just route it to an aquifer.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2010, 04:41:14 pm »

Why has nobody suggested magma yet?

Seriously, magma.

All unnecessary goblinite is melted away and deposited in the fall area. You no longer need to dig far at all. You no longer need a spike to kill the goblin. It's just... it's just perfect.

z=+1
wwwwwwwww
wHSshwwww
wwwwwwwww

z=0
wHwwwwwww
wPwwmSshw
wHwwwwwww

z=-1
wwwwwwwww
wGwwwwwww
wGwwhsSmw
wGwwwwwww
wdwwwwwww
z=-2
mmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmm

w = wall
H = hatch
S = dark, unpassable pump tile
s = light, passable pump tile
h = channeled tile
m = magma
G = floor grate
d = door

Bottom floor (z-2) is a magma reservoir. Z-1 is a floor grate to catch the goblin's stuff so it doesn't fall into the reservoir. Z-0 is the triggering floor with the hatches, z+1 has the magma spout above the pressure plate and the top of the three pump long pump stack.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 04:43:28 pm by Khift »

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2010, 05:13:39 pm »

(ps, i did suggest magma flowing around the spikes.  8))  Scratch that, I see what you mean now...Yeah i should definitely make that change huh? (I embarked on a volcano so magma is like candy) the question is, however, will the magma push the gobbo off the ledge?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 05:16:14 pm by Xenos »
[DWARFINEERING]

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2010, 05:18:33 pm »

If it doesn't, then burning to death on the spot would disengage the trap anyway.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2010, 05:20:08 pm »

hmmm...too bad magma has been buggy lately and caused more drownings than burnings :P
[DWARFINEERING]

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2010, 05:22:11 pm »

(ps, i did suggest magma flowing around the spikes.  8))  Scratch that, I see what you mean now...Yeah i should definitely make that change huh? (I embarked on a volcano so magma is like candy) the question is, however, will the magma push the gobbo off the ledge?
Magma pushes just as well as water does. Plus that design with the pump stack would constantly refresh, pouring magma down nonstop until the goblin either falls off or fries.

One thing I might do is add another channeled tile next to the pressure plate that does not have a hatch on it such that any additional magma can vent and does not get caught when the goblin dies.

Edit: Alternatively, you could just have the pressure plate trigger from both creatures and magma. That way if any additional magma is on the square the hatches stay open until it rolls off.

Edit edit: That would just result in a permanently open system... definitely not what you would want. Scratch that. Go with the additional channel.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 05:25:38 pm by Khift »

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2010, 06:06:17 pm »

I just invented an über leet defense system for my fortress, which is really cheap to make and even cheaper if you happen to have a brook / river / stream at hand. I have a 3 tile wide corridor which then splits into four 1x1 corridors which have a pressure plate with floor hatches on both sides of the plate, which are opened by the plate. When an intruder steps on the pressure plate, the hatches open, forcing the intruder to stand still on the plate, then after that a hatch which is also linked on the pressure plate opens above the intruder, dropping water on the intruder, which then pushes him into either one of the two hatches next to the pressure plate. The pressure plate is then deactivated due to water pushing the intruder off the plate, closing the 3 hatches and while the intruder falls into a 15 z-levels deep pit which has grates at the bottom that let the water drop into a cavern below.

I was thinking along the same lines, but for capturing FBs and clowns into cages. (My Clown Zoo needs them badly.)
I have no idea if this would work, however. Haven't tried it yet.

Anyway, my idea was: a long narrow walk up beside a fall of few z's, with cages and drain at bottom. Said room requiring the kicking in of a floodgate to gain access, (with animals in leashes to pull 'em in,) And with 7/7 water between doors to flow onto a plate to trigger additional hatches to open up from above and let a tank of water flow in with small delay and pressure that would hopefully throw some clowns off balance and cause them to fall to cage traps below. Maybe with replacing said tank of water with a cave-in option, if just pressurized water doesn't do the trick for the clowns. I dunno yet. Must test, in due time. Interested in other traps that people have used to cage fun stuff.

I mean, I can't really colonize Hell without some demons to show people in a Zoo, can I?
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2010, 06:08:45 pm »

Important note: The only time clowns EVER fall into cage traps is when there are webs on said trap. Absolutely nothing else works.

Marsunpaistii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2010, 02:06:54 am »

I'm wondering what are the odds of a dwarf of yours standing on either one of the hatches when a creature steps on the plate, killing them both?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2010, 03:34:34 am »

so pressure plates linked to hatches trigger instantly?  They don't have a delay the way floodgates and bridges do?
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Marsunpaistii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2010, 03:40:50 am »

so pressure plates linked to hatches trigger instantly?  They don't have a delay the way floodgates and bridges do?
That's right.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4