Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Why is negative ad campaigns so popular in politics?  (Read 4693 times)

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why is negative ad campaigns so popular in politics?
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2010, 01:13:49 pm »

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that there are some great people out there who are trying to help by being politicians. It just seems that a lot of politicians (especially ones with a good amount of power) seem to be only in politics for the image and power. I don't really like a plutocratic system where only the rich can significantly influence government (i.e. lobbying from corporations).

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2010, 01:14:55 pm »

Honest people don't get very far in politics, since it's 90% bribing people and accepting bribes.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2010, 01:18:28 pm »

Technically, being a politician in a Democratic society is 100% about bribing the constituents with awesome things that will improve their lives.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2010, 01:29:53 pm »

Wow. This is a really cynical thread, heh. Does everyone here really think we only have an "illusion of choice," or just the people who chose to respond to this topic?

I'm definitely one for believing in the illusion of choice :\ While it's kind of depressing that I feel that way, my understanding of politics supports the idea completely. I'm not one to say that all politicians are and have always been corrupt, but I very much think that the system does pretty much nothing to deter new politicians from slowly becoming more corrupt, even if they were once a hero of the people fighting for more rights and support for their constituency. The way I see it, the sad downturn towards accepting bribes and focusing only on re-election is practically inevitable.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2010, 01:57:04 pm »

We got elections over here real soon.

We got exactly ONE party which doesnt have a negative campaign. Furthermore they are the only guys who don't concentrate on the other parties in their slogans.

Guess who I'll be voting for this time ;)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2010, 04:16:36 pm »

Technically, being a politician in a Democrat district is 100% about bribing the constituents with awesome things that will improve their lives.

Fix'd.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2010, 04:36:14 pm »

Fix'd.
If you're already in a safe democrat district, what does it matter anyway?

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2010, 05:22:50 pm »

Fix'd.
If you're already in a safe democrat district, what does it matter anyway?

Primaries.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2010, 05:24:05 pm »

Technically, being a politician in a Democrat congressional district is 100% about bribing the constituents with awesome things that will improve their lives.

Fix'd.

Re-fix'd, now with 50% more intellectual honesty.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2010, 05:29:14 pm »

Especially now that the Supreme Court ruled that corporation have the same free speech right as human and can spend as much as they want for campaign. :p

That's not true. Campaign spending limits are still in place.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2010, 05:29:50 pm »

Wow. This is a really cynical thread, heh. Does everyone here really think we only have an "illusion of choice," or just the people who chose to respond to this topic?

Everyone has a choice, but only a few really use it. As long as you think that voting is anything more then a way to induce relatively modest changes you're not getting anywhere.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2010, 05:33:32 pm »

Technically, being a politician in a Democrat district is 100% about bribing the constituents with awesome things that will improve their lives.

Fix'd.

Fuck me if that's not the definition of good governance.  Actually, you find "bribing the constituents" is most common in states with sharply contested elections, not the solid ones; some gobbledygook called the "Ranney Index".  In places like Pennsylvania, you'll find Republicans doing the same thing, or in states like Massachusetts, Democrats voting against welfare because they know they won't lose anyway.

Especially now that the Supreme Court ruled that corporation have the same free speech right as human and can spend as much as they want for campaign. :p

You're hilarious.  Spending by candidates and their campaigns is still limited; private citizens, including corporations, can spend as much money advertising a candidate as they want, on their own behalf.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 05:35:16 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2010, 05:35:58 pm »

I should find that article again. I think they cannot give unlimited amount of money, but can use money for their own ads helping a candidate.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2010, 05:44:15 pm »

The rules on campaign finance have always been insane. Doubly so when applied to media. As it stands, all candidates must get an equal share of air time allotted to them, then I believe they can purchase more as long as the other side gets their "due" amount. (The insignificant amount of public dollars that go toward re-election campaigns works this way too. They each get x from public dollars, the rest comes from the campaign.)

This included stuff like, actors running for office and the movies they were in, and corporation funded political spots. PACs were kind of a way around that. It was all relevant since the big media giants own so many corporations, their political leanings have a significant trickle down effect.

Now, corporation sponsored political spots are in the same group as PACs. They're entities with a right to advertise their political opinions without their support getting lumped into the candidate's overall campaign spending.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 05:45:47 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 2 [3]