Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Name that game! Children's Science game.  (Read 813 times)

Fastler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Name that game! Children's Science game.
« on: September 09, 2010, 10:46:10 am »

All right. This one I have been agonizing over for quite a while now and I REALLY want to know what it is.

What I remember is that the base of the game is that you have a workspace where you drag all sorts of gadgets onto the space and connect them with these wires. The "campaign" part of the game had all sorts of different puzzles where you needed to add gadgets or change something so that the ending gadget went off when the right input went down the wire. But the important part was the sandbox mode where you just put down what you wanted.

The different gadgets included some normal things like a pendulum, calculator, counter, timer, some weird things like a variable g chamber to drop things down, a cannon shot simulator, sound creators. And the important parts were some Boolean gates and switches (I remember the switches looked like actual railroad switches). There were also decals to decorate things with.

I really want to find this game again, because I just started a computer science class, and when we were talking about Boolean gates, I realized I already knew this stuff, from this game. And now that we are creating logical circuits, I want to simulate them in this program, because our example software is horrible. I remember in this game the connecting wires would follow the gadgets around as you dragged them, and you could create fixed points in the wires.

Please help.
I hear if you combine them with dwarven syrup you can make rhesus pieces.

There are no Kangaroos in Austria. Trust me.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Name that game! Children's Science game.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 10:57:48 am »

Never played the thing, but it does sound vaguely like "The Incredible Machine".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_Machine_(game)

ed: if that's not it, check out the list of similar games at the end of that wikipedia article.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 11:01:29 am by Il Palazzo »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 11:35:50 am »

Not the exact game you're looking for, but Конструктор: Engineer of the People looks perfect for what you want to do.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Fastler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 11:39:57 am »

Never played the thing, but it does sound vaguely like "The Incredible Machine".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_Machine_(game)

ed: if that's not it, check out the list of similar games at the end of that wikipedia article.

It isn't the incredible machine (All though I remember that one as well) but it was in that list, it was Widget workshop! Many thanks for this.
Not the exact game you're looking for, but Конструктор: Engineer of the People looks perfect for what you want to do.
That does look really neat, I will check it out. Thanks. I always liked the games for engineers thing.

The problem with the software we are using in class is that the wires go in the shortest straight line from a to b following the grid, so it can get REALLY confusing REALLY quickly, I remembered with the widget workshop, you could effect the wires a lot better.
I hear if you combine them with dwarven syrup you can make rhesus pieces.

There are no Kangaroos in Austria. Trust me.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 02:46:24 pm »

Actually it might not, unless they are a bunch of genius children. I'm a Computer Sciences major with a 7.9/10 GPA, and most of the later puzzles I found too hard.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.