Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newb's Megaproject: Pyramid time!  (Read 1172 times)

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Newb's Megaproject: Pyramid time!
« on: September 08, 2010, 04:34:32 pm »

I'm a newb who doesn't play DF, and I will can haz a big pyramid (I figure that's as noob friendly as you get...). If when this gets off the ground, there should be pictures and stuff. Expecting a fairly large pyramid, underground entrance that is hard to find, big pillars, the works. I am also limiting myself to the original 7 dwarves, cause I dislike micromanagement and df helper or whatever it is never plays nice with Mayday's tileset. No promise this will even finish, or that i'll use cool materials or do things intelligently. This is a learning experience, and will probably involve me screaming bunches.

(By the way, invasions have been turned off, because they don't really add any fun (lowercase) to the project. I may turn it back on if at some point I want lots of bodies for my pyramid, or the pyramid defenses are ready.

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Newb's Megaproject: Pyramid time!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 04:38:18 pm »

And for the first double post and awesome tastic question: If I set up a pressure plate and link it to an upright spike trap, will that impale my dwarves?

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 04:39:04 pm »

IT MUST BE FILLED WITH BLOOD AND OR MAGMA.

Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 04:51:14 pm »

And for the first double post and awesome tastic question: If I set up a pressure plate and link it to an upright spike trap, will that impale my dwarves?

Yes. This is how you should get rid of migrants.

lackofgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 04:52:50 pm »

IT MUST BE FILLED WITH BLOOD AND OR MAGMA.

kinda related...
your dwarves will not trigger the pressure plate, if you dont specify it to do so...

(this is where the relating comes)

create a fake meeting room and wall in your starting 7
now you can enable your pressure plate to handle the blood donors migrants

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 05:12:19 pm »

How do you get rid of downward slopes?

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 05:23:12 pm »

Remove the upward slope in the [d]esignation menu, it's also remove upward stairway.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 05:46:26 pm »

bCf is the only way i'm aware of
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 05:54:14 pm »

Well the plate to the spikes sort of won't hurt your dwarves in that if one of them triggers the plate he will have a hard time also being over the spike. The spike traps will definitely move to skewer any dwarves that are on top of them when the plate is pressed, but that's really the beauty of those: you aren't limited to what they will normally attack.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 06:22:14 pm »

bCf is the only way i'm aware of
That just builds a floor over it.

There are 2 methods to remove an upward slope, both on the designations menu, to get rid of natural or dug downward slopes, you need to (d)esignate the upward ramp on the level below it for removal by using the (z) key, to get rid of ones you built yourself, again (d)esignate the ramp level for removal as a constructio(n).

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 06:42:21 pm »

If you are talking about removing the slopes used to access higher spots on the outside of the pyramid, start at the top (so you don't strand any dwarves) and use d->z (remove upward slope/stairs) or d->n (remove constructions) depending on whether the slope was dug (d->r or d->h) out or built (b->C->r).

Can't wait to see the results. ;)

Oh, and for the extra laborers to haul stone blocks, you could set up your trap(s) to not kill the first dwarf to reach the pressure plate, making him the "winner" and new rock-hauler.  :o :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"