Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Most valuable non-artifact item you've made?  (Read 1700 times)

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most valuable non-artifact item you've made?
« on: September 06, 2010, 10:26:45 am »

So, recently a legendary blacksmith (and a legendary gem setter) made a gold statue that was worth (far more than) OVER 9000! dwarf bucks.  I've had legendary lavish meals come pretty close to it, too.  What's the most valuable "mundane" item you've ever created in fortress mode?
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: Most valuable non-artifact item you've made?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 10:44:06 am »

My best was a masterwork large, steel serrated disk.  Entirely undecorated, those are worth 45,360 dofrbux.  Actually, I've made a lot of those...
Sanity is for the weak.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 10:46:46 am »

I have a stack of 129 dwarven syrup roasts that's worth 33,282 dorfbucks. I think I had some finished goods covered with gems cut by a legendary gem cutter and encrusted by a legendary gem setter that were more valuable, but I sold those off and can't find them anymore.

And precisely how much over nine thousand was that statue?

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 10:49:09 am »

If I could find which tomb I put it in I'd tell you.  I have a TON of gold statues.

Edit: Found it.  Masterwork Gold Statue (9000) + 2 Masterwork red zircon decorations (1200 each) +  one Exceptional red zircon decoration (500) = 11900.  That's almost three times more valuable as my least valuable artifact (an obsidian piccolo).  I used the over 9000 joke because the statue was worth 9000.  I suppose I could go back and add more decorations...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 10:55:58 am by GuudeSpelur »
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 12:00:49 pm »

The most valuable one was a masterwork adamantine large serrated disk. Those are amazing.
The fun one was a masterwork large rock Crystal with a specimen of every single gem in the game. I even ordered and bought an entire caravan of gems for that.
It was worth a ridiculous amount of money, more than 70.000 dwarfbucks.
I always imagine dwarves to train as if fighting pretend monsters. "It's a carp, use your sword!" "Shwish! Shwoosh! It's dead!" "Oh no, it's a giant cave spider! Noo, it's got me! Kill it with your axe!" "Swoosh, I cut off its head!"
UNDEAD ELEPHANTS.HERDS OF THEM.EVEN IN DEATH I STILL GRAZE.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 04:00:55 pm »

Dwarves really value their trap components... So much I'd consider making them an exploit if they weren't so dwarfy. "I have a two-tile room with a bed and a burglar alarm that wakes me by covering me in soggy bits. That's fit for a king!"

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 04:32:06 pm »

The value of large discs is really insane.  I have a single masterwork bronze disc sitting in a bin that's worth over 7000.  For comparison I made some crappy quality bronze crafts that are worth around 50 each.  I don't currently have a very good metal crafter so that's the best comparison I can get.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 04:33:43 pm »

Dwarves really value their trap components... So much I'd consider making them an exploit if they weren't so dwarfy. "I have a two-tile room with a bed and a burglar alarm that wakes me by covering me in soggy bits. That's fit for a king!"

Yes, it is.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 04:52:06 pm »

Best I've ever seen was the 44k dwarfbux olivine ring. I swear, my gem setter was OBSESSED with it.

That and the gem setter had only a little over 9000 green glass gems to work with. (Hooray for training glassmakers!)
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 07:04:39 pm »

If I could find which tomb I put it in I'd tell you.  I have a TON of gold statues.

Edit: Found it.  Masterwork Gold Statue (9000) + 2 Masterwork red zircon decorations (1200 each) +  one Exceptional red zircon decoration (500) = 11900.  That's almost three times more valuable as my least valuable artifact (an obsidian piccolo).  I used the over 9000 joke because the statue was worth 9000.  I suppose I could go back and add more decorations...
no u.

You can only encrust one instance of each gem type onto a single item.

I remember at one point in DF pre-2010, I had a platinum statue encrusted with (imported) clear/red/blue/green/faint yellow diamonds, star ruby/sapphire, rubies, emeralds, etc etc...  that ended up with the value upwards of 100k dwarfbucks.  It made for a snazzy dining room.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 07:10:42 pm »

Then my version of DF must be broken, because I know I've seen stuff with green glass spikes, rings, and a picture of a dude eating cheese in green glass.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 08:32:17 pm »

no u.

I remember at one point in DF pre-2010, I had a platinum statue encrusted with (imported) clear/red/blue/green/faint yellow diamonds, star ruby/sapphire, rubies, emeralds, etc etc...  that ended up with the value upwards of 100k dwarfbucks.  It made for a snazzy dining room.

Huh.  I went back and looked at the statue again, somehow I managed to read red spinel and red grossular as red zircon.  Note to self: find some gems that aren't red.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 08:44:26 pm by GuudeSpelur »

Rayc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 09:53:40 pm »

This does it, I'm going to encrust some random object with every type of gem i can find.  Accually, I'm going to have a large gem as the base, so that It will be a gem decorated with gems.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 09:56:01 pm »

This does it, I'm going to encrust some random object with every type of gem i can find.  Accually, I'm going to have a large gem as the base, so that It will be a gem decorated with gems.

Can you do that? It will be worth countless Urists if it works.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 10:05:35 pm »

Yes, it's extremely possible. Especially if you don't have a stockpile for finished trade goods, and your encrusting and cutting jobs are done in close proximity.

Makes for some decent value, I can tell you. Although you do have to be careful with your encrusting jobs- I recall a sock worth upwards ten-thousand from being utterly plastered with gemstones. The hitch? It was owned by some tanner.
Pages: [1] 2