Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pit/Pond/Cistern  (Read 835 times)

AxiumCog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pit/Pond/Cistern
« on: September 06, 2010, 04:02:36 am »

So as we all know, ponds are the only squares on a location that collect water.

My suggestion is to make an option as part of the pit/pond zone called "cistern" or something similar. This would require the same criteria as a pit/pond as far as placement, the only difference is that if open to the sky, when it rains it will fill with water.

Any others think this is a good idea?

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
Re: Pit/Pond/Cistern
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 11:14:42 pm »

This would be great for a challenge where you cover the whole map in cistern zones so it floods over when it rains.

I think something is already planned for water to pool up during rain without needing designated areas, so the zone won't be needed.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 12:05:24 am »

Wouldn't it in general make more sense if we would be to use drainage levels for this? Each tile has a certain drainage value and when it rains with a certain strenght this will generate areas which flood. Maybe add a small chance for soil areas to wash away leaving an empty tile and or colapse. We would still need a system to add back some of the soil but this would work for generation ponds. If people start changing tiles for example by making them out of smooth stone then these tiles start colecting water because they no longer have any drainage value.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

AxiumCog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 04:34:20 pm »

All good ideas, the reason i think just designating a zone in the same manner as a pit is best is that its simple to implement. Instead of having to do some complex changes to incorporate permeability of soil and such in order to keep the entire map from flooding every time it rains, only the spots designated as cisterns(which have to be a pit in order to make the zone in the first place) would flood.

This wouldn't necessarily be the final goal for rain collection, but a simple, effective, transitional function to allow that aspect of game-play while the complex realistic behaviors are developed.

Sfon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 09:51:16 am »

Rain creates mud. Standing water on dirt could also create mud.
Mud collects rain. Constructions and smoothed stone could collect rain, too.
Mud on the surface that is not covered by water will eventually disappear. The more mud, the longer it'll take to go away.

Flooding could be a problem, but from my experience with dealing with murky pools this will only be a problem in areas it should. Just a matter of getting mud disappearance at a rate that works well.

AxiumCog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 03:05:21 pm »

what if it didnt disappear but if it dried out into a silt deposit, like the soil you dig through.

that would require the pits to be dug out, as if erosion and wash-out were filling it up. then to keep water collecting you need to maintain your pits.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 04:48:14 pm »

I think it would be a little too weird to control this with a simple designation. But I would totally be in favor of a new construction/building type that catches rain.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 04:54:57 pm by ManaUser »
Akur Akir Akam!

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 05:38:24 pm »

Can a mod use the "murky pool" tile as a workshop component? And will it blend? Er, work? :)

I'd like to see something like this implemented if it's not already.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

AxiumCog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 02:48:29 pm »

Can a mod use the "murky pool" tile as a workshop component? And will it blend? Er, work? :)

I'd like to see something like this implemented if it's not already.

Interesting idea. Mod in something like the farm plot that can be resized but all the tiles are Murky Pool. Maybe call it "packed earth."
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 02:31:41 pm by AxiumCog »