Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: The human race needs a mega-project.  (Read 31516 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The human race needs a mega-project.
« Reply #120 on: September 07, 2010, 10:47:36 pm »

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2010, 01:23:11 am »

Pave the oceans with silver.
This is a surprisingly awesome idea, too.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2010, 01:34:43 am »

Replace the oceans with Faygo, it would be a mIrAcLe. (and make Psychopathic Records famous)
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2010, 05:54:33 am »

Electromagnetic accelerators are complicated. Detonate a huge nuke in the tube to launch the thing.

Something like this? Doesn't use a tunnel trough the Earth though, but I don't know why you want to use a tube for that. Such a tube would work better as a super-sonic version of a Ram Accelerator due to the high speed the payload would attain while falling to the core.

Edit:
You know, it would actually be easier to just dig straight through the moon's core. Also, wouldn't gravity pull the payload towards the larger section?

Anyway, could you manipulate solar wind somehow? Let's take the idea of the mass driver through the planet, and make it use solar wind as well. Looking at the Wikipedia page for Magnetopause and Magnetosphere, it looks like it you manipulated the magnetosphere of the Earth (or more likely Moon) enough, you could force the solar wind to go straight through the core if you dug it all out. I have no idea what use harnessing solar wind would be, but it'd be really cool. Maybe you could convert it into electricity? In fact, you could probably redirect that stuff towards the Earth, and mess with electronics.

You may want to read up on Magnetic Sails, Electric Sails and Electrodynamic Tethers
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 06:09:06 am by Virex »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2010, 07:47:49 am »

Jeez, people.
Masterminds need to learn physics.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 08, 2010, 08:02:44 am »

We need to delve the mysteries of how f**king magnets work.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 08, 2010, 09:00:45 am »

I've heard about the spinning black hole thing, but I've never really heard much about the properties of the resulting naked singularity... I imagine it'd still be black itself, probably with an extremely mind-fucky gravitational-lens effect surrounding it....

Very cool idea, not sure why you'd harvest photons from it though... they're not too hard to come by :)

If the singularity was outside the event horizon it would probably emit something. :D And yeah that's something for a T3 civilization (colonized an entire galaxy) to do when they got bored.

No guarantees that it would work, just that it would be fun, and possibly Fun, to do.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 08, 2010, 09:09:05 am »

Singularity naked... outside event horizon...
...what?
[/Il Palazzo grumpy]

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 08, 2010, 09:59:56 am »

Regular black holes are theorized to have a point-source singularity (where all the mass is). Spinning black holes would have a ring-shaped singularity, according to those same theories. The faster it spins, the bigger the ring. Spin it fast enough and the singularity would stick out of the event horizon (the 'black' of a black hole) and it wouldn't be a black hole anymore, it would be a naked (no longer hidden by an event horizon) toroidal singularity.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 08, 2010, 10:31:25 am »

This sounds like a bunch of bollocks to me, but hey, I'm just a layman. Ring shaped singularity? Whatever you say, I can't pretend I'd be able to understand the sort of maths that goes into proving this possible, but at least give us a link to the article or something.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 08, 2010, 11:22:57 am »

It's all theoretical. Wikipedia's articles on Black Holes and Gravitational Singularities are good starting places.

I'm more interested in what we can do in the short term, within the next million years.

There's a lot of good ideas in this thread. :D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:30:28 am by Beeskee »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 08, 2010, 11:35:11 am »

Wait...I thought the event horizon was a gravitational field effect generated by the singularity. I'm trying to conceive how you would have an object that projects outside of its own gravitational field.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 08, 2010, 11:45:38 am »

Huh, I thought that a singularity is an object that has mass but no spatial dimension. If it's not a point, it must have dimensions.

Guess I should brush up on my physics.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 08, 2010, 11:47:37 am »

MiRaClEs *honk*

((not really))
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15