Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 98

Author Topic: Fight to the death the second: Round two  (Read 83978 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round two: Razor VS Alien
« Reply #1080 on: November 07, 2010, 11:09:32 am »

Well, it's the judge's decision, and I respect the judge like the result enough not to question decisions. Let's just move on.
:P

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: November 07, 2010, 11:23:44 am »

Is it the next one? I vote for Youmu. Y'know, becuase she can slice stuff at ridiculous speeds.
She could use her ghost-half to scout out the Naga I suppose... depends on exactly how fast the Naga's reflexes are.Mind you, if you read her entry on the wiki...

If we haven't moved on disregard what I just posted.
Everybody!

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: November 07, 2010, 11:29:36 am »

Well, it's the judge's decision, and I respect the judge like the result enough not to question decisions. Let's just move on.
:P
Hey, I didn't complain when Static lost to that cheating bastard Roland.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: November 07, 2010, 11:53:22 am »

Haha, jegus fuck.

Okay, so I'd already figured out some points/counterpoints for dealing with the Naga, but I went ahead and did some research to make sure I got my facts straight, and it suddenly hits me how retardedly powerful this thing is.

What kinda pisses me off is that it slipped under the radar since it had to 'fight' a joke entry on round one.

I'll give a rundown in the next post, but here's the link, poke around in there a bit.

And yes, it would beat Paul fucking Atreides.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 01:24:39 pm by HailFire »
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round two: Youmu VS A guardian naga
« Reply #1084 on: November 07, 2010, 01:02:02 pm »

I think that the naga would win.
It seems to have mental weaponry that could harm both Youmu's physical self, as well as her phantom self.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: November 07, 2010, 01:13:25 pm »

Alright, here we go;

-The naga is basically impossible to ambush, as Detect Thoughts lets it detect anything sentient that gets within 60 feet of it (works through up to 3ft of wood, which is most trees); particularly thick jungle foliage could reduce that range dramatically, but would prevent people from lining up a shot with a ranged weapon similarly (also, it can see perfectly fine in complete darkness)

-Natural armor comparable to giant's hide or (young) dragon scales, before it's armor buff (while still having superior reflexes for it's size).

-21 strength (18-19 is typically the absolute peak for humans), before it's strength buff (which gives it giant strength)

-Poison spit from up to 30 feet; it's not quite a guaranteed or instant kill (one minute between initial and secondary damage), but unless you have a superhuman constitution (or are really lucky), you can expect to kiss half or more of your health (and associated bonuses) goodbye (until it poisons you again by spit or bite)

And then there's the really fun part- it's spells.

Ambushing? Once you've detected your opponent victim, use Greater Invisibility to sneak in, followed (optionally, depending on the opponent's hearing/alertness/reflexes) by Expeditious Retreat and Divine Favor to catch the opponent before it can react, constrict and apply Divine Power, poison bite until the opponent submits.

Forced into ranged combat (somehow)? Good thing you put up your Mage Armor up to nine hours ago and have an arsenal of attack spells!

Melee combat? See above- it's hard to wrestle something that's up to 20 feet long and up to 500 pounds (did I mention it's as tough as giant, too?)!

Actually losing a fight? Stick a Light spell on the closest thing to his face, then Greater Invisibility and Expeditious Retreat out of there so you can heal. Is he still following you on your Detect Thoughts? Lesser Restoration your fatigue away and prepare another ambush! If not, slink away and rest to restore all of your spells.

Oh, I almost forgot- you will of course remember to slap Dispel Magic on all of your opponents who have magic items or spellcasting ability (with the sole exception of Sauron's ring).

Any questions?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 01:16:24 pm by HailFire »
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: November 07, 2010, 01:17:20 pm »

I don't know enough about Youmu to create a counter-argument...
Everybody!

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: November 07, 2010, 01:20:38 pm »

I don't know enough about Youmu to create a counter-argument...

This isn't an argument for the naga beating Youmu, this is an argument for the naga beating basically everyone.

There's not a damn thing Youmu can do once it dispels her and her swords- even with as proficient a swordsman as she is, it's big and tough enough to outlast her.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: November 07, 2010, 01:22:22 pm »

I've a bias against the Naga.

The Nage seems that damn powerful though, I can't say much against it.

I'm going to match it agianst future opponents.
Everybody!

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: November 07, 2010, 02:00:57 pm »

Static could have beaten it, but Roland kind of went and beat him, so now everyone loses.

See now, this wouldn't be happening if we'd just given Barney a pity round.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: November 07, 2010, 02:03:24 pm »

18-19 is typically the absolute peak for humans
I've had human characters with 24 strength easily.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: November 07, 2010, 02:07:40 pm »

Static could have beaten it, but Roland kind of went and beat him, so now everyone loses.

See now, this wouldn't be happening if we'd just given Barney a pity round.

That might not be happening if people didn't submit joke characters, and there had greater oversight over the submissions (as I keep mentioning, I know)  :-\

Depends on what flavor of D&D you're using- with the version I'm accustomed to, 18/00 was the default maximum, and you could (barring magic items/similar shenanigans) gain one attribute point every 4 levels.

ED: Also, Giants had strength from 21-25 rather than 25-35, so it could just be me being old-fashioned

ED2: How easy or difficult something is in D&D also tends tends to be fairly subjective, depending a good deal on how sadistic your DM is.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 02:18:09 pm by HailFire »

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: November 07, 2010, 02:10:56 pm »

Remember my guy Oedith? He had 25 strength at his peak, though that was with items. But it was still very easy to do.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: November 07, 2010, 02:49:29 pm »

Depends on what flavor of D&D you're using- with the version I'm accustomed to, 18/00 was the default maximum, and you could (barring magic items/similar shenanigans) gain one attribute point every 4 levels.

ED: Also, Giants had strength from 21-25 rather than 25-35, so it could just be me being old-fashioned

ED2: How easy or difficult something is in D&D also tends tends to be fairly subjective, depending a good deal on how sadistic your DM is.

I belive that it is 2nd edition that you are familiar with, but the naga is statted out with third edition rules.

As for the naga being overpowered, you have to remember that the naga can only cast its spells so many times per day. A breakdown is a such:

Spoiler: level 0 spells, 6/day (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: level 1 spells, 7/day (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: level 2 spells, 7/day (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: level 3 spells, 7/day (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: level 4 spells, 5/day (click to show/hide)

Note that the following apply to the naga's spells:
  • In order to recharge them, the naga must do the following:
      Each day, sorcerers and bards must focus their minds on the task of casting their spells. A sorcerer or bard needs 8 hours of rest (just like a wizard), after which he spends 15 minutes concentrating. (A bard must sing, recite, or play an instrument of some kind while concentrating.) During this period, the sorcerer or bard readies his mind to cast his daily allotment of spells. Without such a period to refresh himself, the character does not regain the spell slots he used up the day before.
  • If any of the following happen to the naga while it is casting a spell, there is a chance for the casting to be interrupted and lost. The list includes, but is not limited to:
    • Injury
    • Affected by another spell
    • Injury
    • Undergoing violent motion (e.g. on a running horse)
    • Violent weather (extreme weather, like torrential rain)
  • The spells have verbal and somatic compenents. If the naga cannot speak or cannot move, then it cannot cast spells.

Although a fully buffed naga would be completely overpowering, it cannot maintain is buffs for more than around five minutes, and refreshing them would limit its attack potential in that time.

Keep in mind also that the naga is not sneaky at all - the stats given do not list any ranks in hide or move silently. Even if it were to somehow sneak up on someone, casting a spell would reveal themselves, as the spells have a verbal component.[/list][/list]

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: November 07, 2010, 02:51:57 pm »

18 is the maximum via point buy, then add a point for each 4 levels, then just get some gauntlets of ogre power or something. Just like that, 22 strength.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 98